14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
While I love your aspirations.

Before making an 80 passenger car, and a complex locomotive, why not make a box car or something more simple.

Then you can learn about trucks, equalization, bolsters, track and wheel gauge, etc.

All fundamentals you will need for more complex things. Say you wanted to be a Formula 1 driver, your first race would not be at Monza or Monaco, but in a go cart on a local track.

Similarly, trying to handle complex things without even the fundamentals seems pretty hard to do, very few people, even mechanical engineers have started at 1,000 miles an hour!

Make something. Learn the basics of 3d printing. Make a simple box car, you will have enough challenges with that. Setting your sights too high initially will probably end in frustration.

Greg
Sound advice from Greg there.
To help you on your way have a look at these downloads, I have printed the the bogies and they work well.

Bogies

Couplers
Loop and hook

knuckle

Link and pin

Wagon print

That should keep you busy for a while ;)
;);)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user

NorthwestGarrattGuy

Some young foamer from seattle
1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
kaedmonkeirbrannan.wixsite.com
Best answers
Country flag
i know this that why my plan is to modify my existing rolling stock since it look a little strange and the gauging is rather odd/bad and i am going to rebuild my couplers

Before making an 80 passenger car, and a complex locomotive, why not make a box car or something more simple.

Then you can learn about trucks, equalization, bolsters, track and wheel gauge, etc.

All fundamentals you will need for more complex things. Say you wanted to be a Formula 1 driver, your first race would not be at Monza or Monaco, but in a go cart on a local track.

Similarly, trying to handle complex things without even the fundamentals seems pretty hard to do, very few people, even mechanical engineers have started at 1,000 miles an hour!

Make something. Learn the basics of 3d printing. Make a simple box car, you will have enough challenges with that. Setting your sights too high initially will probably end in frustration.

Greg

NorthwestGarrattGuy

1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
Best answers
Country flag
Sound advice from Greg there.
To help you on your way have a look at these downloads, I have printed the the bogies and they work well.

Bogies

Couplers
Loop and hook

knuckle

Link and pin

Wagon print

That should keep you busy for a while ;)
;);)
yes but first i need to get my 3D printer working its been on our to-do list and i my dad needs to get his workshop cleaned first

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
yes but first i need to get my 3D printer working its been on our to-do list and i my dad needs to get his workshop cleaned first
So that should be the next thing on your to do list "help dad clean workshop"

Once that is done I can send a couple of pdf's via PM for freight wagons to help you on your way.
Garrets as far as I know rarely pulled passenger car they were mostly for freight.

Advice I gave my apprentices was always learn to crawl, then to walk and finally to run aka Baby Steps.

Similar advice to what Greg gave you.

I have had G scale since 2009 and only started scratch building in the last 4 years.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Trying to run before you can crawl will end in tears, definitely. Ask any baby! If this is your first attempt, just take your time and expect to have to rethink things out as you go along. And don't splash out too much on your attempts

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Also, you will NOT make everything on the 3D printer, scratchbuilding definitely existed before 3D printers.

You would be well served to get some listings on where to buy styrene sheet and "rod" and what glues to use, and try modifying something at first, adding details.

You will also want some tools, like a razor saw.

There's a lot more to scratchbuilding than a 3d printer.

Greg

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Also, you will NOT make everything on the 3D printer, scratchbuilding definitely existed before 3D printers.

You would be well served to get some listings on where to buy styrene sheet and "rod" and what glues to use, and try modifying something at first, adding details.

Greg
I built my first boxcars and wagons out of mdf, strips of wood, balsa sheet, some steel for weight and styrene. Built out of necessity because of lack of cash and availability. Lot of my build materials come from my local hardware store.

Common chassis as the base
Chassis - Underframe.JPG Chassis - Floor top view.JPG Chassis - Bogies fitted bottom view.JPG

Boxcar
Boxcar body.JPG Outside Frame Boxcar Top.JPG Outside Frame Boxcar Side View - Painted.JPG

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

NorthwestGarrattGuy

1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
Best answers
Country flag

Greg
i know that but we don't have the neccesery stuff for molding or brass working and we already have some of all kinds of stuff my grandfather used to do woodworking and we 2 garages full of tools and as for modifying things that was my plan i have some Newqida HSB coaches that i want to rebuild and some old new ray and Eztec stuff as well rebuilding a new ray GP-35

NorthwestGarrattGuy

1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
Best answers
Country flag
I built my first boxcars and wagons out of mdf, strips of wood, balsa sheet, some steel for weight and styrene. Built out of necessity because of lack of cash and availability. Lot of my build materials come from my local hardware store.

Common chassis as the base
View attachment 293640 View attachment 293639 View attachment 293638

Boxcar
View attachment 293641 View attachment 293643 View attachment 293642
very helpful since i need several box cars grain hoppers and Molasses cars

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Molasses or anything else you want to put in it tanker this one will carry Ethanol from the plant next to my sugar cane mill on my cane line.

1-20.3 Tank Car -Tank Components.JPG 1-20.3 Tank Car - Side View.JPG

Made from;
  • the basic chassis,
  • 100mm PVC pipe and end caps
  • 25mm PVC pipe end caps
All from the "Home Depot" equivalent in Aust Bunnings.

NorthwestGarrattGuy

1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
Best answers
Country flag
Molasses or anything else you want to put in it tanker this one will carry Ethanol from the plant next to my sugar cane mill on my cane line.

View attachment 293651 View attachment 293650

Made from;
  • the basic chassis,
  • 100mm PVC pipe and end caps
  • 25mm PVC pipe end caps
All from the "Home Depot" equivalent in Aust Bunnings.
handy well now i have a way to molasses cars without buying from USA trains

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
A Boxcar (the clue is in the name) is a good starting point..

No matter how hard I try, I still have trouble with 'straight' and 'right-angle'..
A Boxcar has plenty of those, so you get your eye to hand coordination in..

Half a millimetre, either side, along your marked-line, is best-part of an inch on the real thing.
:oops:

NorthwestGarrattGuy

1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
Best answers
Country flag
A Boxcar (the clue is in the name) is a good starting point..

No matter how hard I try, I still have trouble with 'straight' and 'right-angle'..
A Boxcar has plenty of those, so you get your eye to hand coordination in..

Half a millimetre, either side, along your marked-line, is best-part of an inch on the real thing.
:oops:
ah i will need a sqauring tool then

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Just to recap;
  • We know you want to build a Garret
  • what sort of motive power do you currently have, could you start with running short trains?
  • How much track do you have laid or do you only have a plan
Have you seen this blog Rik is a very experienced modeller and has a lot of information on the blog

This is mine not as extensive as Rik's but may give you some ideas.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag

Greg
This.

Last edited:

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag

NorthwestGarrattGuy

1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
Best answers
Country flag
Just to recap;
  • We know you want to build a Garret
  • what sort of motive power do you currently have, could you start with running short trains?
  • How much track do you have laid or do you only have a plan
Have you seen this blog Rik is a very experienced modeller and has a lot of information on the blog

This is mine not as extensive as Rik's but may give you some ideas.
well the garratt is something i don't plan on building till May at the earleist since i only have 2 locos and a small loop of track with 3 cabooses (2 of which are cheap plastic ones with bad gauges) 1 hopper 1 passenger car 1 tiny auto rack car and the rest of the eztec set and my railroad is currently indoorsDSCN8342.JPGDSCN8343.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN8346.JPG
    DSCN8346.JPG
    453.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN8314.JPG
    DSCN8314.JPG
    498.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Looking at your pictures I would say that the green loco would be a starting point for a kit bash.
Reasons;
  • It has an outline that resembles a loco
  • It looks to have been an inexpensive buy, so you can go crazy cutting and painting and if you mess it up no you have not lost a lot
The other subjects to start bashing are the green coach and the auto carrier (does it have to be an auto carrier could it not be the frame for a boxcar?).

My first attempt at kit bashing did not end well,I attacked it about 10 times but I learned so much about marking out and cutting along lines as well and designing a finished product. It is still sitting on a shelf looking at me with a sad look but I will attack it again one day and hopefully make something that looks OK.

NorthwestGarrattGuy

1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
Best answers
Country flag
Looking at your pictures I would say that the green loco would be a starting point for a kit bash.
Reasons;
  • It has an outline that resembles a loco
  • It looks to have been an inexpensive buy, so you can go crazy cutting and painting and if you mess it up no you have not lost a lot
The other subjects to start bashing are the green coach and the auto carrier (does it have to be an auto carrier could it not be the frame for a boxcar?).

My first attempt at kit bashing did not end well,I attacked it about 10 times but I learned so much about marking out and cutting along lines as well and designing a finished product. It is still sitting on a shelf looking at me with a sad look but I will attack it again one day and hopefully make something that looks OK.
well i don't wan't to change the auto rack car and the green passenger car since they were the very first G scale things i got and i have had them since i was 6 years old