justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
hey what are the dimensions for the wood pieces since i need to calculate the cost of buildig something like this
40 foot car translates for 12.1 meters that translates to 1:32 for 37,8 cm

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
No matter how hard I try, I still have trouble with 'straight' and 'right-angle'..

Its pretty simple btw.
Get a piece of thick a4 paper, they have 4 90 degree angles.
Glue some wooden or hard plastic strips to the edges and let them settle.
Glue a day after on a 45 degree angle a other strip on it.

Or just a store bought wooden sheet and cut it to size, dont forget to mark the good corner....
To cut of a round pipe squire, take a a4 paper, roll the pipe in it and make sure that the paper is aligned with his sides, mark the line to be cut.

And yes as someone said, half a millimeter is a lot when converted back to real life.
Always mark with a 0.5mm pencil and cut next but as close as possible to the line.

But guys...i have seen carpenters with 20 years of experience! that are still not able to make a decent squire cut or even cut next to a line...just saying.
And a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface does miracels for us.

With best regards Igor.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
40 foot car translates for 12.1 meters that translates to 1:32 for 37,8 cm
I have cut up a lot of waste thrash plywood in pieces of 81mm x 200/300/400 and 500 millimeter.
It is a bit empirically determined dimensions that is allowing me to make what ever i want without thinking anymore of what to make.
If i wanted high boxcars i simply set the wall on top of the base, if i want a low or a broad box car i simply set the wall on the side of the base.
This also applies for tank, flat bed, gondolas(have to cut some) hoppers ect
But i am modeling in 1:32 soviet track, it is a bit off but very close to standard track.
Hope this was helpfull.

With best regards Igor

Reactions: 1 user

NorthwestGarrattGuy

Some young foamer from seattle
1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
kaedmonkeirbrannan.wixsite.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have cut up a lot of waste thrash plywood in pieces of 81mm x 200/300/400 and 500 millimeter.
It is a bit empirically determined dimensions that is allowing me to make what ever i want without thinking anymore of what to make.
If i wanted high boxcars i simply set the wall on top of the base, if i want a low or a broad box car i simply set the wall on the side of the base.
This also applies for tank, flat bed, gondolas(have to cut some) hoppers ect
But i am modeling in 1:32 soviet track, it is a bit off but very close to standard track.
Hope this was helpfull.

With best regards Igor
yeah helpful but stuff happend plans changed the route of the railroad was reworked and i got distracted by my indoor HO scale layout
i also hyperfixated on electric locomotives

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Can we see what you have done so far? I'm intrigued to read that your garage filled with tools does not seem to contain any kind of engineer's square or basic hand tools, but DOES have a 3D printer. Have you actually EVER made anything before - and I don't mean from a kit. Have you built a kit?

We are now well into the second year of this saga with zero visible results - I'm finding it pretty frustrating, to say the least, especially with the truck-loads of advice you've been given from well-meaning, but probably equally-puzzled. posters here.

NorthwestGarrattGuy

1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
Best answers
Country flag
Can we see what you have done so far? I'm intrigued to read that your garage filled with tools does not seem to contain any kind of engineer's square or basic hand tools, but DOES have a 3D printer. Have you actually EVER made anything before - and I don't mean from a kit. Have you built a kit?

We are now well into the second year of this saga with zero visible results - I'm finding it pretty frustrating, to say the least, especially with the truck-loads of advice you've been given from well-meaning, but probably equally-puzzled. posters here.
ah well i have been busy im still in highschool you see and the garage is still a mess dispite everything and we have 59 things to do also the hand tools are there but i have no idea where anything is since its my fathers garage

Last edited:

NorthwestGarrattGuy

1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
Best answers
Country flag

the good thing is the railroad is actually under construction now i started on saturday but it has taken much longer anyway its not the first time i have tried to build a garden railroad

Reactions: 1 user

NorthwestGarrattGuy

1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
Best answers
Country flag

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220525-122910.png
    Screenshot_20220525-122910.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

NorthwestGarrattGuy

1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
Best answers
Country flag

Attachments

• Garden railroad thingy.jpg
    Garden railroad thingy.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 0

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag