These gondolas have seen better days?

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have had these 2 cars on the todo list for some time and so while the paints were out there seemed no time like the present to tackle them,no spray on here only brush weathering,I wanted a faded paint look to give a well worn finish as gondolas are probably the most abused cars on the railroads in general,the internal details,separated boards,bent grabrails and splayed sides were done when the bashes were done many moons ago but outside 24/7 has resulted in paint fade.The basics were 3 different colour washes and allowed 24hrs between coats,then the lettering applied and varnished,allowed to go off and then a very weak wash to fade back the lettering,then a final dust coat wash,one car had a weak wash on the interior and the other had a thinners wash with a touch of paint in as if to denote different loads over a period of time,the rust mark on the floor of one car is actually real rust from some metal that was left in the car outside,a small hole is drilled in the floor of each car to allow rain water to drain out,some oil stains around the axle boxes finished them off.;);)Knuckle couplings to go on too,a pleasant little wind down job in the morning after a few night shifts!!gondolas 002.jpggondolas 010.jpggondolas 012.jpggondolas 004.jpggondolas 006.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have had these 2 cars on the todo list for some time and so while the paints were out there seemed no time like the present to tackle them,no spray on here only brush weathering,I wanted a faded paint look to give a well worn finish as gondolas are probably the most abused cars on the railroads in general,the internal details,separated boards,bent grabrails and splayed sides were done when the bashes were done many moons ago but outside 24/7 has resulted in paint fade.The basics were 3 different colour washes and allowed 24hrs between coats,then the lettering applied and varnished,allowed to go off and then a very weak wash to fade back the lettering,then a final dust coat wash,one car had a weak wash on the interior and the other had a thinners wash with a touch of paint in as if to denote different loads over a period of time,the rust mark on the floor of one car is actually real rust from some metal that was left in the car outside,a small hole is drilled in the floor of each car to allow rain water to drain out,some oil stains around the axle boxes finished them off.;);)Knuckle couplings to go on too,a pleasant little wind down job in the morning after a few night shifts!!View attachment 252976View attachment 252977View attachment 252978View attachment 252979View attachment 252980
Nice job, not too often you see the inside boarding done. Great job makes me feel guilty to do my LGB East German Ones.

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Nicely done sir!

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent work ! They look like Bachmann gondolas $$. That's a good thing when you want to weather them as opposed to LGB rolling stock $$$$$

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Superb, I remain in awe at the quality of your weathering and distressing work!

Jon.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
My larger spectrum gondolas are jealous. Well done! :clap:

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for all the positive likes and comments;),a drop bottom short wheelbase car is next on the list and maybe my two cheapy Chinese low sided cars may just get done as well;);).

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent work ! They look like Bachmann gondolas $$. That's a good thing when you want to weather them as opposed to LGB rolling stock $$$$$
Sorry for a late reply but no computer for 7 days,Yes Dan they are Bachmann items,both used and cheap,not using new cars as heating the sides to splay out just may end up as an expensive experimental error as only on chance to get it right!!!!;);)

Last edited:

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Nice stuff Rio.... excellent results as always...... I haven't done any weathering for some time...... perhaps your exploits will give me some inspiration to continue..

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Go on Mike,you know you want to!!:p;):clap::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: