The Whareora & Glenbervie Branch Line

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Re: A Train with No Name

Why not use a piece of 25X25X3mm angle iron instead? It wont give anywhere near as much, or change shape with the weather/time.

Beddhist

Motorcycle travel, trains
16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag

Hmmm, there is an idea! I have got quite a bit of that sitting behind the shed, rusting away. Plus, I have the feeling that they don't stock the timber any more that I am using. But curves will be a challenge. I won't be able to bend it.

How to attach the track to that?

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers

I only really meant for the under-brace, but I used steel for quite a bit of the T.V.B.L. as main supports. Metal flats will bend without difficulty and can be spaced with wooden blocks, then the track-bed screwed to them. I then lightly nailed through the ties to hold the track.

Edit.

Check out https://www.gscalecentral.net/g-scale-pictures/problems-on-the-t-v-b-l/msg66719/#msg66719
though it seems to have suffered some with the chance of Forum software, and may even have some pictures missing.

Beddhist

16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag

Thanks for clarifying. Your build makes an interesting read. Looks like all the pix are there.

Beddhist

16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
A few more pix from last weekend`s effort:

IMG_3243.jpg

There are kinks in the track bed that I didn`t really want, but somehow couldn`t avoid making. The last bit under the steps is particularly difficult, with my movement restricted and having to stand over the flowers. There is a big obstacle in the shape of the double punga (native tree fern). Originally I wanted to go behind it, but even at 4% grade the track is still too low. This would have required major earthworks, right where it is the most difficult. I decided on a relatively sharp curve to go around it. I may have to cut a small section out of the stairs. I won`t know until the track is in place. Still, that should be easier than cutting into the bank and relocating a number of plants.

IMG_3244.jpg

IMG_3245.jpg

Now I`m waiting on rail joiners and track again.

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers

There looks like enough room, fingers crossed Peter ;) As for the long straight having some gentle kinks is not a bad thing.

Beddhist

16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
Gentle, my foot:

IMG_3247.jpg

That S-curve is far too sharp for my liking. I didn`t even need to be...

IMG_3248.jpg

A lot of progress was made in the last few days, most of it today.

IMG_3249.jpg

IMG_3251.jpg

Now we are getting into the really thick vegetation.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag

I like the route the track is taking. Meandering through the flowers and woodlands as the prototype might.

Beddhist

16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag

It's just, if you are a G Scale Person, the size of them may be a little intimidating at first. :happy:

Beddhist

16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
Not a lot happened during the rest of Nov and Dec. The latter, in particular was quite wet and during the dry days we had to work. My two locos, however, were converted to Airwire and battery. I`ll report on that separately shortly.

A few metres of track bed were completed yesterday:

IMG_3283.jpg

This shows what a poor job I have done building this, as there is hardly a straight section.  :`(

IMG_3285.jpg

The workers are now entering the dangerous Agapanthus Bush area. The greenery is so thick here, I think this calls for a tunnel.

IMG_3286.jpg

JRinTawa

25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers

Horrible sticky Agapanthus Peter! Hehe, mind the snails :mad:

Beddhist

16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag

Oops, I didn't know they were sticky. Workers could come to a sticky end, then. ???

Double-oops about the snails. I can just see them taking up residence in a tunnel. Then it would be the 1st train through coming to a sticky end... yuck.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers

Its going to be spectacular! With regard to running in wind- I have a weighty battery loco and a log train with "real" logs for such occasions. Alternatively just ballast up a short train and remove when the weather is good.

JRinTawa

25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers

Beddhist said:
Oops, I didn't know they were sticky. Workers could come to a sticky end, then. ???

Double-oops about the snails. I can just see them taking up residence in a tunnel. Then it would be the 1st train through coming to a sticky end... yuck.

Well not sticky until you break a leaf Peter! The sap/juice is horrible stuff :(

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag

JRinTawa said:
The sap/juice is horrible stuff :(

Indeed, a bit like DB beer (I'm a Lion man, myself).

Beddhist

16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
Had to work for most of today. Just dashed outside to take a couple of pix of the weekend`s construction progress. There probably won`t be any more progress for the next month, due to visitor.

The line emerges from Agapanthus Bush:

IMG_3288.jpg

From here we have a clear run to the end of the driveway, where the top ground level meets the drive:

IMG_3289.jpg

The plan is to swing in a sweeping curve onto the top level and try to back track.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag

An entire month without trains!! Shocking. Why not enlist the visitor to help work on the layout? ::)

cbeckett

Osier & Woodhurst (UK), Gosnells Extension (OZ)
17 Nov 2013
Gosnells, Perth, WA
Best answers

Nice Agies - but they do seem to be a bit of a weed here (WA)! We don't get white ones, just the purplish-blue sort...

Beddhist

16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag

Madman said:
An entire month without trains!! Shocking. Why not enlist the visitor to help work on the layout? ::)

I can't see my mother playing or working with trains, somehow... :eek:

Yes, the Agies are doing really well here, too.

Beddhist

16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
We are enjoying the first days of autumn; feels more like the last days of summer, though: sunshine and 26C. Too hot to work in the sun. Luckily, most of the track work now happens in the shade under the feijoa trees.

With almost no work this week I have completed the straight along the drive and I have started to swing under the trees:

IMG_3348.jpg

Getting those Y posts through the gravel in the drive was hard work. It doesn`t seem to matter how straight I put them in, as soon as they are in that far that I can`t move them any more they start to twist and go out of vertical.

A Eureka moment: right where we need it the line meets up with the top level! Plus, there is just enough room for a 3m radius curve. I think I will stop the ladder frame shortly and put the track into the ground with ballast. Once I can get more track, that is. Micro Engineering are still out of stock.

IMG_3349.jpg

Meanwhile, at the other end of the line the station layout is being revised. I have unscrewed the track, but the switches are firmly screwed down, because I want to force the straight section to actually be straight.

IMG_3351.jpg

Tomorrow we will batten down the hatches, as tropical cyclone Pam is heading our way. Vanuatu is expecting wind speeds of up to 300 km/h.