Beddhist

Motorcycle travel, trains
16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
Re: A Train with No Name

Well, any derailment around here will be spectacular. I had better take another look at the Sandstone & Termite for ideas about guard rails.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag

Beddhist said:
Well, any derailment around here will be spectacular. I had better take another look at the Sandstone & Termite for ideas about guard rails.

??? Sorry, but guard rails ain't gunna stop your rolling stock from taking high diving lessons. :eek: :eek:

Seriously, I've had wagons blow off the track, and mine is all at ground level, and reasonably sheltered. Something to think about.
One neat trick I've seen for raised track like yours, is to grow a hedge under the track, and eventually it grows to rail level, and can be kept at that height by trimming.... but, that, of course, takes time (to grow).

Beddhist

16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag

I'm very concerned about wind. We are somewhat exposed to the prevailing SW and it often howls through the garden. We are seriously considering installing a wind generator.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I made a guard for a return loop - cut from uPVC fascia board so I could get the curves easily - one side has four foot drop into the stream.

DSCF3629.JPG

I just made some spacers (plastic tube) and put some long wood screws in. Hopefully it will act as a wheel trap and a safety net!

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag

Murphy says that any train travelling on the highest point of your trestle, will derail. Who invited that Murphy guy to play with our trains anyway?

I like Mick's guard rail system. Spaced a bit away from the track, like it is, is an excellent idea.

KandNWLR

Live steam on the indoor K&NWLR
18 Dec 2011
Alsace
www.youtube.com
Best answers

Madman said:
Murphy says that any train travelling on the highest point of your trestle, will derail. Who invited that Murphy guy to play with our trains anyway?

I like Mick's guard rail system. Spaced a bit away from the track, like it is, is an excellent idea.

You´d be surprised how trains can not only jump the rails, but also guard rails ..... :-[ :-\

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag

KandNWLR said:
You´d be surprised how trains can not only jump the rails, but also guard rails ..... :-[ :-\

:mad: ... and also how worn LGB skates can pick a poorly aligned joint, and take a high dive into the ground below. Cost me a new funnel to find that out! (on a layout I visited)

Beddhist

16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag

Good, that's one thing I don't need to worry about, as I can remove all skates.

I'm almost around the greenhouse now. Next I will attack the bridge, I think.

Regards,
Peter.

Beddhist

16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
Here is a slightly different perspective:

IMG_2992.jpg

The other pix didn`t turn out, low light, shaky hands.  :-X

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag

Well its going to be spectacular, there's no doubt about that !
You are making very good progress.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag

Beddhist said:
Good, that's one thing I don't need to worry about, as I can remove all skates.

::) So did I after that episode,then found I could haul 60% more on my level track. :)

Beddhist

16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
Speaking of level track: that loop is level. It`s the ground that isn`t.

This is how far construction will go for now:

IMG_2993.jpg

IMG_2994.jpg

I don`t think I have enough rail to actually lay track on all I have built so far. There are 2 more posts to go in, then I will attack the removable bridge. After that it`s track laying time.

I expect construction will be harder going up that bank. I will need to relocate some plants and figure out how to measure and build the grade. I was going to just follow the line of that existing timber, but I wonder now whether this is not too steep.

Regards,
Peter.

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag

Gavin Sowry said:
:mad: ... and also how worn LGB skates can pick a poorly aligned joint, and take a high dive into the ground below. Cost me a new funnel to find that out! (on a layout I visited)
I would say that at least 95% of the derailments on my line come from wind/breeze blown debris that either lands on the line whilst I am running or I missed on my pre run track inspection.

Beddhist

16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
Today a milestone was reached. The first part of track bed construction was completed when the removable bridge was installed:

IMG_2995.jpg

Detail of the removable section:

IMG_2996.jpg

The track laying train reaches the bridge:

IMG_2998.jpg

As the line`s only locomotive is still in the workshop the workers had to push the wagons themselves.  ???

Cheers,
Peter.

KandNWLR

Live steam on the indoor K&NWLR
18 Dec 2011
Alsace
www.youtube.com
Best answers

Congratulations. With all this progress we can only assume that the wind was behind you :happy:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag

Beddhist said:
Today a milestone was reached. The first part of track bed construction was completed when the removable bridge was installed:

[attachimg=1]

Detail of the removable section:

[attachimg=2]

The track laying train reaches the bridge:

[attachimg=3]

As the line's only locomotive is still in the workshop the workers had to push the wagons themselves. ???

Cheers,
Peter.

"workers had to push the wagons themselves"............Slave driver!! Those workers need to check with their shop steward about work rules :mad:

You certainly have an interesting piece of land. Your layout is going to be larger than I had originally pictured. Thanks for keeping us all in the loop while you make continued progress.

Beddhist

16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag

Sorry, no steward here. When the Brits had Maggie our govt. took a leaf out of her book and emaciated the unions. But the crack of a whip could be heard occasionally. :eek:

I agree with you about the land. I just heard a strange noise outside and went to have a look and listen. It was only a neighbour's cattle beast, but through the trees I can see the saw mill in the distance and in the still dawn I can hear the operating noises. It actually looks like it's on fire, but I guess that is the reflection of the orange lights against the steam. Other people have to build models of saw mills, I just have to extend my track a few km. ???

Now staff and citizens wonder what the Train with No Name will be called. Management can't seem to make up their mind. The boss hasn't been seen for a while. He's rumoured to be working in his garden - laying tracks! :D It will probably be called something after the location, like the Glenbervie tramway or the Glenbervie and Whareora Rwy. Hmmm, GWR sounds good. The company could probably get some cheap 2nd hand rolling stock from England that won't need re-lettering! (Always trying to pinch a penny.)

Peter.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag

Maggie and her friend, our own Ronnie R. did do a number on the unions, didn't they? Don't get me started on those union busters, I might burst a blood vessel.

It took years for me to come up with a name for our railway. I finally settled on the Wicked Short Line Railway. The Witchy Woman of Pinetown Road was the inspiration. If I turn into a toad, it will be through every fault of my own ???

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
[quote author=Beddhist link=topic=298399.msg313149#msg313149 date=1398076926]
[/quote]
I never did get around to posting my final guard rail pics on my trestle renewal topic, so here`s as good a place as any.
On the inside of the curve I put a walkway of 38mm wide timber, then used steel nails and 2 levels of fishing line. The top line is 25mm above rail.
On the outside of the curve, no walkway (I`m lazy) and 1 fishing line 20mm above rail. You don`t notice it at all.
No derailments yet to test it.
IMG_9430.JPG

IMG_9433.JPG

Congrats on your progress so far. It`s looking great.

Beddhist

16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag

Greg,

Thank you very much for these tips. One question: how do you attach the nails to the alu?

This morning I laid track across the bridge, but ran out of joiners. On one side of the bridge the connection is really good, but on the other everything is a bit out of vertical alignment. This will need a bit more work. Overall I'm pleased with it; it's a snug fit, which is good. We will just have to see what happens next summer when the alu rail expands.

Yep, I had the wind on my back with this endless summer. It's only 1 month to winter, but they are forecasting another fine weekend with 20C.

Cheers,
Peter.