The resurrection of The Indoor Linz Gstadt Bahn

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Eight years after the indoor Linz Gstadt Bahn was dismantled, it is rising from the ashes.......

Lower level baseboards are 75% done.
It will eventually be something like this.........but without the cable cars methinks.

There is a circuit to be on with. The room is approx. 9' 6" x 7' 6"

I will post some old photos of the layout from 8 years ago - they are on the cloud somewhere......:D

IMG_1303.JPG

Reactions: 9 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Eight years after the indoor Linz Gstadt Bahn was dismantled, it is rising from the ashes.......

Lower level baseboards are 75% done.
It will eventually be something like this.........but without the cable cars methinks.

There is a circuit to be on with. The room is approx. 9' 6" x 7' 6"

I will post some old photos of the layout from 8 years ago - they are on the cloud somewhere......:D

View attachment 234260
That cable car ain't earning much money :worried::worried:

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
This is what it used to look like.....

210309 014_renamed_13780.jpg LGB301008 015.jpg Old pics 219.jpg Old pics 242.jpg Old pics 213.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Glad you are resurrecting you indoor layout.. Persuaded by the £^$& winter perhaps? Much as I like outdoor layouts it's nice to be warm and dry and still play big trains. :)

Reactions: 1 users

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Looking forward to seeing it progress matey

Reactions: 1 user

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
A little more progress.
The upper level will be located in the same place, but I'm mulling over the detail of it.
Got some of that green carpet stuff for the grass - it just needs some matt yellow spray paint on it to brighten the colour a little.
I still have the model trees from the last one (see above).
Expecting more track tomorrow too.

IMG_1315.JPG

Miguelito

Registered
8 Oct 2017
Elk Grove, Ca
Best answers
So nice to see another small, indoor railway under construction. Please keep posting updated photos - they serve well as my motivation.

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
The lower level loops have been set up and the platform for the upper loop is in position but not fixed.

The track on the far left will be set at around 1 in 25 to reach the upper loop on a mixture of retaining wall and embankment, similar to before.
There won't be as much track crammed in as last time.

IMG_1321 (816 x 612).jpg IMG_1322 (816 x 612).jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Miguelito

Registered
8 Oct 2017
Elk Grove, Ca
Best answers
Really great to see the updates. My indoor effort (half a garage actually) is going to be a loosely Austrian railway using Stainz locomotives and LGB 4-wheel cars; chosen because I enjoy the European look and the smaller equipment fits my limited space. I have bench work constructed, track down, half the wiring complete, some trees "grown", and a few of the smallest Piko buildings. Plan is to start with a semi-scale "out-of-the-box" layout with full scenery then transition each piece into something more detail and scale related as time allows. Photos will follow as soon as I figure out how to get them from phone to computer to GSC. Love to see any and all indoor ideas since the size of G always seems to be a scale challenge.

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
I've used my trusty jigsaw to cut the curved sections of 6mm thick mdf for the gradient section plus the normal saw for the straights. Some of the support trestles are fixed in place.

The gradient works out as 1 in 25.5.

It will look similar to this when it is complete:

Old pics 211.jpg

In the meantime, this is the new one under construction:

IMG_1335.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
A little more progress this morning, the bones of the structure to the upper level is in.
The loop will be on trestles of some description - I'll check the photos in the books I have on Austrian Narrow Gauge

IMG_1346.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I assume you have already but it might be worth checking the clearance between the two pillars in the picture below, they look a bit too close for comfort to me and there is plenty of scope for widening before you start the scenery.
IMG_1346.JPG

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
What you are building up there looks very well engineered. I used to have Rigi Duos plying for trade on my indoor Scalextric set up. One of the triggers for me ending up running trains in the garden. Max

Track East New pits.jpg

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
I assume you have already but it might be worth checking the clearance between the two pillars in the picture below, they look a bit too close for comfort to me and there is plenty of scope for widening before you start the scenery.
View attachment 234997

The clearance is fine Dave, I have run the widest stock through it already. ;)

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
The longest stock only runs on the garden railway Greg.

However, in the interests of eccentricity, I will try the Garratt on the indoor setup. :rofl:

IMG_1224.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
We like eccentrics.:D Got to be done.