The dreadid MOLE

D

Deleted member 3553

When I was a child in the 1950's my Grandfather use to deal with moles as follows, he had an old tub of carbide crystals as used to be used in old carbide headlamps on vintage cars. Apparently you put in a handful of crystals then topped up with water. The water reacted with the crystals to create an inflammable gas that was burnt to create a flame for the headlight. I am told that if the headlight stopped working in the middle of nowhere it was customary to pee into the headlight to reactivate the crystals.

Back to the moles, he used to drop a handful of crystals down the mole holes, the crystals would react with the moisture in the soil to create the gas that would permeate the tunnels and drive out the moles. Of course, as a kid, once I discovered that the gas was explosive, I used to follow him around and drop lighted matches down the holes and blow the moles up.

David
Wasn't there a saying, something about 'making a mountain out of a mole hill".........now I know how it's done.........good night all Mardy.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Still no new mole hills, nothing in the trap, hes just wasting my time now waiting till I start track laying I bet :)

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Moles are nocturnal....

So 'solar-powered' ones must (in EvilBay terms) be RARE!

That's why they are nocturnal - they recharge during the day, then run on batteries at night..... :rofl:

Jon.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Here at the race track they use explosive gas bombs. They shove a bomb down the hole and back fill. Then bang! The noise makes them run straight into the gas cloud. Or that's what they Told me when I asked them. Seems to work though it was really bad for a while on the grass terraces but nothing at all now.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Here at the race track they use explosive gas bombs. They shove a bomb down the hole and back fill. Then bang! The noise makes them run straight into the gas cloud. Or that's what they Told me when I asked them. Seems to work though it was really bad for a while on the grass terraces but nothing at all now.

Now, was it 'really bad' because of the moles?
Or the three-foot craters from the 'gas bombs'??

:rofl::rofl::yawn:

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
A couple of times whilst hill walking in Derbyshire we have come across immensely long mole runs one was jsu an inch or so below the surface of the grass creating an effect like a hose pipe covered with turf. It extended 200yds across a field and appeared on the other side of a drystone wall and continued for several hundred yards further in the next field. The other did the same but it was just under a a thin layer of firm snow.

I like the Carrot reference to the double barrelled shotgun, headtorch and swivel chair.
Police "Carrott! What are you doing?
Carrott "Imitating a lighthouse!"