The dreadid MOLE

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
The planing sounded good, I dug a trench 18" deep along the fence boundary and put 1/4" square galvanized wire mesh vertically in the trench and back filled it with rubble about a foot deep thinking that would keep the dam Moles out ...wrong he dug underneath it :( so filling that border with soil and then a membrane won't stop them as he will dig under and come up where he likes

The other raised border I did the same but as it's a narrow border I then filled the whole border with 9 " deep of rubble covered that with the 1/4" galvanized mesh then added about 3" of soil the idea then was to remove the soil where the track goes and ballast it a couple of inches below the track just about back to the hardcore level, then add a membrane for planting etc.

Beginning to wonder if all my mole barriers have been a waste of time now... as yet the mole has not got into the narrow border, I didn't really want to put a bed of concrete under the tracks to stop Moles I was hoping my mole deference would work.:(

Anybody else had any great ideas how to stop the little horrors tunneling under your railway.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
I hear the best deterant for moles is a bamboo garden cane, inserted firmly into the into the ground, with an upturned plastic coke bottle on the end. It's supposed to rattle the cane in the wind and Mr Mole in his hole isn't supposed to like the sound in his ground. It'd probably take several, around the plot.

Perhaps a little unsightly but if effective?

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Maybe he won't like the sound of my Stainz steam Chuffing sound then, running up and down the fence :) had mole problems for years in the Garden, I have tried most things in the past, that's why I thought of the Mole deference's , but they seam to be cunning little blighters..these Moles.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Find the tunnel, dig a hole, put in a mole trap, cover up and wait. Oh that's not PC these days! They can make a right mess of meadows and pasture so that's what we used to do in the old days! They've got sharp teeth too.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
He / she has just had a hose pipe down their tunnel for half an hour .. worked in the past they come up for air, no luck today I have 6 of those non PC traps in the shed :) maybe I should start and pour quick setting cement down their tunnels :)

Reactions: 1 user

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Isn't it supposed to be something to do with a shotgun, a flashlight, some duct tape and a swivel chair.....? ;)

Jon.

Reactions: 3 users

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
On the subject of whether the traps are "Politically Correct", I say this; USE THE TRAP ! Some folks claim that the Victor mouse trap is inhumane. So instead they want to use glue traps. Now you tell me what's more humane, a mouse chewing it's limbs off to get away from a glue trap or a swift and clean kill, most times by the Victor sprung loaded wire, coming down and breaking the little SOB's neck. Then there are those that say poison is more humane. So the mouse eats the poison, goes off most likely in a place where he can't be found, dies a slow painful death, then lays there rotting in a wall or floor.

Rodents can do mucho damage to not only gardens but homes as well. All summer long I have been trapping and relocating Chipmunks. We had some get into the floor of our house and make a real mess of things. I must have trapped and relocated a dozen and a half of those little buggers this summer.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, trap 'em and turn 'em into trousers.

But moles are difficult, I mean there's history on mole trapping, and they still can't be stopped. In our village, there's a house on a corner of a T junction, well the top of the T is bent, and they'er on the inside of the curve. They have had persistent mole problems, but not in any house around them. The only adjacent place where moley has surfaced is in the churchyard, behind another house across the road - work that one out :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Found one of is / her tunnels hidden behind a big bag of sand, so trap set in it and fingers crossed , bought 6 traps last year and never caught a bloody thing in them yet, so they are very PC lol

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
You shouldn't handle traps with bare hands, nor smelly gloves. The moles (nor mice and rats) don't like it, and are wary.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I have some railway detonators you can have.. But I don't think moley wears big enough boots to set them off!!!

Reactions: 1 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I have some railway detonators you can have.. But I don't think moley wears big enough boots to set them off!!!
Moles in space.............................:mask::mask::mask:

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
When I was a child in the 1950's my Grandfather use to deal with moles as follows, he had an old tub of carbide crystals as used to be used in old carbide headlamps on vintage cars. Apparently you put in a handful of crystals then topped up with water. The water reacted with the crystals to create an inflammable gas that was burnt to create a flame for the headlight. I am told that if the headlight stopped working in the middle of nowhere it was customary to pee into the headlight to reactivate the crystals.

Back to the moles, he used to drop a handful of crystals down the mole holes, the crystals would react with the moisture in the soil to create the gas that would permeate the tunnels and drive out the moles. Of course, as a kid, once I discovered that the gas was explosive, I used to follow him around and drop lighted matches down the holes and blow the moles up.

David

Reactions: 1 users

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
No new mole hills this morning..traps empty as usual, he's just hiding till I do more work on my Railway so he can add more tunnels to it for me :)

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
When I was a child in the 1950's my Grandfather use to deal with moles as follows, he had an old tub of carbide crystals as used to be used in old carbide headlamps on vintage cars. Apparently you put in a handful of crystals then topped up with water. The water reacted with the crystals to create an inflammable gas that was burnt to create a flame for the headlight. I am told that if the headlight stopped working in the middle of nowhere it was customary to pee into the headlight to reactivate the crystals.

Back to the moles, he used to drop a handful of crystals down the mole holes, the crystals would react with the moisture in the soil to create the gas that would permeate the tunnels and drive out the moles. Of course, as a kid, once I discovered that the gas was explosive, I used to follow him around and drop lighted matches down the holes and blow the moles up.

David

I really do not want to hijack this post or send it off on some wild tangent. So I'll make a new post about what I want to say in the coffee lounge

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Moles are nocturnal....

So 'solar-powered' ones must (in EvilBay terms) be RARE!