David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I have never built, nor will I ever have the opportunity to build, a railway in the garden. As a result, the subject of track laying has been of scant interest to me and I tend to quickly scan and dismiss threads on that topic.

Yesterday (13.5.2020) my attention was drawn to one of those garden makeover programmes that are a staple of afternoon viewing. It was flagged up by my wife's cousin, who, aware of my interest in model railways, brought it to my attention as the garden in question was to incorporate a G Scale line. The premise was that two garden designers drew up alternative designs, to an agreed budget, for the householder to decide which one they wanted. The husband had collected G Scale items over the years but had no layout, one of the elements in the design had to incorporate a garden railway. The reason that I am mentioning this is that the railway line was laid at ground level using a method that I have not previously seen before. As I have already said, it's not a topic of great interest so I apologise if it has been mooted before but I do not recall it being suggested on the Forum before.

The earth was levelled along the line of the track. Next, interlocking sections of plastic gravel retaining grid was laid along the line. These are basically 50mm deep rugged plastic box sections. open top and bottom, designed for gravel driveways. Once laid the grids were filled level, to the top, with course stone chips to provide a level, firm, free draining base for the railway line. This was then covered with a layer of fine grit, to provide scale ballast appearance, and finally the track was laid on top of that. The whole process took very little time. There was no concrete foundation, no shuttering, no construction required. I can see that it has the additional merit that if ever a need arose, in the future, to alter or extend the track plan, the grids could be lifted and repositioned/reused. If I was ever going to built a ground level railway line in the garden, it would be the method I would choose. Bare in mind these people were garden designers/landscape gardeners, I think they made a pretty good first attempt at a garden railway. The only glaring omission, to those in the know, was the failure to lay a weed suppressing membrane between the earth and the plastic grid. I hope this provides food for thought.

I did once call in a Landscape Gardener to have a look at my garden but he said he could not help me as my garden was in portrait.

David

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have never built, nor will I ever have the opportunity to build, a railway in the garden. As a result, the subject of track laying has been of scant interest to me and I tend to quickly scan and dismiss threads on that topic.

Yesterday (13.5.2020) my attention was drawn to one of those garden makeover programmes that are a staple of afternoon viewing. It was flagged up by my wife's cousin, who, aware of my interest in model railways, brought it to my attention as the garden in question was to incorporate a G Scale line. The premise was that two garden designers drew up alternative designs, to an agreed budget, for the householder to decide which one they wanted. The husband had collected G Scale items over the years but had no layout, one of the elements in the design had to incorporate a garden railway. The reason that I am mentioning this is that the railway line was laid at ground level using a method that I have not previously seen before. As I have already said, it's not a topic of great interest so I apologise if it has been mooted before but I do not recall it being suggested on the Forum before.

The earth was levelled along the line of the track. Next, interlocking sections of plastic gravel retaining grid was laid along the line. These are basically 50mm deep rugged plastic box sections. open top and bottom, designed for gravel driveways. Once laid the grids were filled level, to the top, with course stone chips to provide a level, firm, free draining base for the railway line. This was then covered with a layer of fine grit, to provide scale ballast appearance, and finally the track was laid on top of that. The whole process took very little time. There was no concrete foundation, no shuttering, no construction required. I can see that it has the additional merit that if ever a need arose, in the future, to alter or extend the track plan, the grids could be lifted and repositioned/reused. If I was ever going to built a ground level railway line in the garden, it would be the method I would choose. Bare in mind these people were garden designers/landscape gardeners, I think they made a pretty good first attempt at a garden railway. The only glaring omission, to those in the know, was the failure to lay a weed suppressing membrane between the earth and the plastic grid. I hope this provides food for thought.

I did once call in a Landscape Gardener to have a look at my garden but he said he could not help me as my garden was in portrait.

David
It does seam a possibility, I commented elsewhere at a link to tye Vid of the program and like you spoke about that oack of barrier beneath the grid. I suspect that few professional gardeners have come across the needs of a Garden Railway, but that emission was a glaring error on their behalf.

Reactions: 1 user

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
It should have been obvious I suppose, but I did not realise the programme was a repeat. You can click on the link to see it in full but the laying of the railway does not start until 26 mins in.

David

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
It should have been obvious I suppose, but I did not realise the programme was a repeat. You can click on the link to see it in full but the laying of the railway does not start until 26 mins in.

David

I saw the program yesterday (thanks to my better half). I do wonder about these "makeover" progs - the results are intertesting and many look good - but how long do they stay looking good?

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
It does seam a possibility, I commented elsewhere at a link to tye Vid of the program and like you spoke about that oack of barrier beneath the grid. I suspect that few professional gardeners have come across the needs of a Garden Railway, but that emission was a glaring error on their behalf.

If it is used then just lay some of this under it, problem solved.
I'm using it under various garden features (a bird bath and a firepit) plus laying it under all the pathways that will follow my railway. Just kill/dig the weeds out before laying and they do not come back. Added bonus is that it lets water and air to pass through so it does not kill the soil organisms.

I think for a railway on the ground it has serious merit, wish I had used it on my previous layout instead of the traditional method of ballasting over soil. That involved a great deal of weeding/spraying especially in summer.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I saw the program yesterday (thanks to my better half). I do wonder about these "makeover" progs - the results are intertesting and many look good - but how long do they stay looking good?
Only for as long as the owners can be bothered to keep things up. Many of the garden done over in these shows look such a mess before that one imagines that in 6 months the garden will be much like it was before. Far too many say not time’ for gardening but will spend all weekend watching the box.

Reactions: 1 user

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I used weed membrane before laying the ballast.

I have found though that bulbs will grow through the membrane in the spring, but weeds just grow in the grit and are easily removed.

And frogs and railways don't mix either. I fried a few on my old line....

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
And frogs and railways don't mix either. I fried a few on my old line....

Yes I've had a few problems with frogs on the line....

dig 180831001.JPG

David

lgbmad

Model trains....G scale mainly, but enjoy all othe
20 Oct 2011
Llanfyllin,Powys
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Talking of the retaining grid:

Didn't someone use under a shed?? - Seem to remember a 'land-purchase' from next door, and a shed moving a few feet to one side? :wondering::think: