The CWLR (Charlwood Light Railway)

Rob

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Liverpool
www.flickr.com
Best answers
Country flag
With the new trackwork at Charlwood complete, Easter weekend saw the first CLR operating sessions of the year.

It was a busy and most enjoyable weekend, and many photos were taken, I hope you enjoy them!

No.3 is prepared for service outside the engine shed;

0J9NkEN.jpg

CMNtYTe.jpg

Shortly after No.3’s departure, No.4 is seen peeking out of the engine shed;

sT1C6Rv.jpg

No.3 is seen running round after completing its shunting duties;

Yh4jwFq.jpg

No.9 is in the siding, as No.1 runs round;

DR3FEke.jpg

No.3 is seen passing the engine shed as it heads out with its goods train;

vGYRDDW.jpg

Between trains, No.9 is seen shunting a single log wagon;

4WYw9ZR.jpg

Slightly later in the day, and No.3 has returned. It has been left simmering whilst it’s crew nip into the engine shed for their tea break;

qeu7ZDu.jpg

No. 3 arrives with a van train, as No.9 prepares to leave;

PsG7BZK.jpg

And then later on, the two trains cross at Top End;

k3akLSY.jpg

No.9 is seen as it rattles through the pointwork at Charlwood, making full use of the increased line speed allowed by the larger radius points;

3AYKWTP.jpg

With its duties complete, No.3 has retired to the disposal road. No.1 is now being prepared for the evening shift;

fhu8CYy.jpg

Unfortunately No.1 failed on shed with an RC problem, so No.9 was sent out to deputise;

tZmgpXN.jpg

Somewhere between Charlwood and Top End;

8iTt4ou.jpg

6LtfqKF.jpg

Company was provided by this little one, who was only about 3 months old the last time a train ran. She’s now 9 months old, and was slightly puzzled by the big noisy green thing that had invaded her garden!

wfyx0hO.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Reactions: 1 user

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for an excellent set of photos of your day and the running commentary, and you clearly had excellent company.too.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
We like hounds on here, what a little cutie.

Rob

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Liverpool
www.flickr.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Guys, we’ve been really lucky with the Pup. She’s a really good girl!
She also seems to be learning to stay off the railway now, I’ve only lost two gas lamps, a few telegraph poles and several plants!

Anyway, A few years ago the village suffered a terrible giant Mouse attack. This caused damage to the roof of the middle terraced house, the unpainted hidden side of one of the shops and the shop front itself. Hungry little bugger.

fc4tkpj.jpg

The whole area has been given a good clean, and I’ve made a start on making a pavement. The area is intended to be a courtyard, so there’s no vehicle access. There was originally room for a small road entering bottom left, but I’ve since extended the headshunt. The cut out bit allows the shed door to open fully.

After this was done it was time to run a couple of trains;

‘Eilean Donan’ arrives at Top End with a short engineers train;

xQ8VsA3.jpg

And then shunts into the yard to pick another wagon up;

9FLWTgJ.jpg

After arriving back at Charlwood, it added another two open wagons to the train;

xL5Zaql.jpg

Before handing the now much heavier train over to LOTI;

VOWEXBF.jpg

With LOTI off on its way, Eileen Donan shuffles off to the shed to drag No.3 out so it can be steamed;

O4NcZdi.jpg

No.3 is seen arriving later on with a very short passenger train (I really need more carriages!);

5n6hDSv.jpg

A bit of shunting to add a van to the train;

a9DaUph.jpg

After an inspection to try and find the cause of its frequent derailments, one of the bogie opens is dropped off at Top End by No.9, one of the last moves of the day;

st2tPyd.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Looks really good!

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I’ve just discovered some vintage footage of the CLR, believed to have been recorded in the 1930s by a local photographer....

In reality I stuck my iPhone through the cab doors of No.3 ‘Cruachan’...
Great stuff, one has to say they the iPhone has made a remarkable job of a tricky subject with so many changes in Depth of Field Values. The 30’s must have been a very scary period in time with those giant 4 legged beasts roaming the countryside.

Rob

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Liverpool
www.flickr.com
Best answers
Country flag
Great stuff, one has to say they the iPhone has made a remarkable job of a tricky subject with so many changes in Depth of Field Values. The 30’s must have been a very scary period in time with those giant 4 legged beasts roaming the countryside.

Thanks! I was quite impressed with how well it managed. It would help if you could lock the focus so it doesn’t keep changing but hey ho.
The only time I had to intervene was when it clouted a tree (around where you see Wilma) and focused on the loco instead.
Talking of Wilma (the giant four legged beast! :D), the locals are quite used to her these days. She’s quite timid, although she does like to steal the odd plant.
They’re more worried about the giant Mouse that occasionally turns up. It likes to eat buildings! The joys of living across the road from a wood!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
They’re more worried about the giant Mouse that occasionally turns up. It likes to eat buildings!

Perhaps, you should have got a cat? ;):devil::devil:

Rob

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Liverpool
www.flickr.com
Best answers
Country flag
The weather is good, so what else is there to do whilst under lockdown and self isolating?

No.9 rumbles down platform 2 at Charlwood with a lineside clearance train;
UJGobMQ.jpg

No.3 Takes water whilst shunting Top-End Wharf;
etThqd5.jpg

And later on, No.3 at the head of a short mixed;

f3FPnkK.jpg

I’ve finally managed to finish off the sidings at Top-End which I’ve decided are on a quay side. I’ve also made a substantial start on my new 009 layout in the loft, Turtle Bay. My productivity has gone through the roof!

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I must get out in the Garden and runs some trains, we have been having such good weather it would be a shame not to and I now have an excuse a line-side clearance train. To be honest I have done this sort of thing in the past but that was a decade or two ago, need to implement Sunday Engineering Works. Though the way that Network Rail closes the Railway at the drop of a hat these days any day is fair game for Engineering Works!

Rob

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Liverpool
www.flickr.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Guys!

A number of years ago the railway acquired some coaches built for an antipodean railway by a British builder, that were never delivered. The railway bought them at a bargain price, however the locals didn’t particularly like them and the loco crews complained they were too heavy. The directors did like the livery though and adopted it as the railways standard coach livery for all future builds.
Despite the complaints, the carriages have seen many years service;

In reality I wanted some decent bogie coaches, but a lot of those available as kits don’t like R1 curves, and with me take a while to build. I picked these Bachmann Jackson Sharps up relatively cheaply and have given them a quick repaint. They’ll be bashed around further over the years, but for now they make a decent passenger train until I can get some others in service. I’ll post more details of them later.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
There is English precedence for using them, the Weston Clevendon and Portishead Light Railway had something very similar. So do not worry and tell all the staff and passengers that they are just what is needed.
8C0518F3-E86D-4043-B1C6-BEFCBE526F66.jpeg