The CBR Line is Born..

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Are the rivets printed as well? - A really cruel close-up, but an impressive finish to a 3D print.

If the rivits were part of a Resin printed part then yes, if they are on a FDM printed part like the cab sides then No, I stuck them on individually, I need more practice at doing them :)

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
The new motive power looks great Sid, a very quick turn around on the build too.

What brand of paint have you used for the brass details? I've tried a couple but somehow they are simulatanouesly too thin to build the colour well and too thick to flow properly. Your's looks very neat.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
The new motive power looks great Sid, a very quick turn around on the build too.

What brand of paint have you used for the brass details? I've tried a couple but somehow they are simulatanouesly too thin to build the colour well and too thick to flow properly. Your's looks very neat.

Thanks everything is car paints except the Brass color, that is vallejo Model acrylic colours, and sprayed with a matt varnish to seal it, I have used various other Vallejo colors to paint people with and they are left outside and seem OK, but all sealed with matt varnish, so gave the Brass colour a try.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
end

Last edited:

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
It's skill.. Time spent homing your skill at your hobby, in a medium or style that suits you.
I intend to steal ideas off everyone.
As always..

Ps.. A tutorial on cad would be magnificent.. I can print of thingyverse, I have a pc.. Can I use cad.. No

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
It's skill.. Time spent homing your skill at your hobby, in a medium or style that suits you.
I intend to steal ideas off everyone.
As always..

Ps.. A tutorial on cad would be magnificent.. I can print of thingyverse, I have a pc.. Can I use cad.. No

Thanks Mike, I use Autodesk 3ds Max for all my modelling as that is what I use for work, costs a few pennies, so Tinker cad or the like might be a better option there are a few free ones about with lots of tutorials When I used to teach people to use CAD , I always told them theres only three things it draws, a Circle, a Line and Text, once you master those three basic things you can draw anything you want :)

The Tinker

Every day I wake up is a good day
6 Feb 2014
Whangamata New Zealand
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
Very inspiring. I am just getting back into modelling. I have been working in brass wood and plasticard and I am looking seriously at a 3d printer. I reckon covering all bases Some parts printed some in metal and some in styrene. To me it looks like a heap of options. A good printer is so cheap at the moment, So why not I am almost 60 and i reckon it is time to learn some new skills

How have I missed this so far! Fantastic cad work there it takes a lot of patience to do all those details especially rivet detailing. Its sad to hear some derogatory comments towards 3d printing as a modelling medium but i think you're correct in saying its probably not understood as to the work that still goes into these models. Ive noticed people seem to think that models just magically appear in your computer and then somehow turn into a finished unit as soon as you pull it off the bed. the many many hours sanding and individually adding handrails etc says otherwise! keep up the great work

Reactions: 1 user

Technocrat

Mostly Retired?
18 Feb 2022
De Graff Kansas
Best answers
Country flag
I will probably make myself unpopular here. Being a bit of a Luddite, I have yet to be convinced that 3D printing is 'proper' modelling. Having spent a lifetime of making card mock-ups to check size/fit then cutting, filing, scraping various thicknesses of Plasticard to shape various parts I do not see having a computer and 3D printer do it all for you as somehow quite legitimate. I felt the same when digital cameras took over from film, but of course now I would never go back. While the above is a fine model conversion, I do not see anything that could not be made just as easily from plastic sheet material. I do not wish to pour cold water on anyone's efforts, any activity that produces a unique model is all to the good but I see 3D printing as somehow diminishing and undervaluing traditional modelling skills. I guess it's probably an age thing, but it makes me feel like a bit of a dinosaur. Just to fight my corner, I post a pic of my freelance O-16.5 scale Crocodile made many, many years ago (the photo was taken using 35mm film). Apart from the bits that are obviously metal, every thing else was made from plastic sheet, with patience, dedication and an enormous sense of achievement. Sorry to appear so negative (that's not another film reference).

View attachment 265848

David
Having spent most of my career in the CAD/CAM world, I see 3-D as legitimate modeling. I do remember reading similar objections about plastic modeling from brass modelers...
That said, I do share your concerns about modeling skills being lost
I still find hand drafting to be more satisfying than CAD. But, I hate to admit, I am capable of better and faster work on the computer, The same applies to modeling. Creating a real model does not seem to work out as well as what I can 3D model. My eyes and hands are not as accurate as they once were.
I have spent most of my career in the design and production business, first in aircraft and for the last 20 years in shipbuilding, with a couple of short detours into petro-chem. While working for Boeing I spent 6 years as an adjunct drafting/design instructor. I fought very hard against removing the drawing tables (and the ability to use them) from our program. What the industry has been dealing with is a number of junior drafters with design degrees who can make the computer jump through hoops, but have no idea how to design anything. It is left to us old timers in industry to teach them the difference. The big problem is that they lose perspective on size, as everything will fit on the screen.
I will climb down off my soapbox now.

I have just this year decided to purchase a 3D printer. This is more from a practical position than a philosophical one. I now need to learn enough about home devices to make a decision on which model best fits my needs within my means.

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
It is left to us old timers in industry to teach them the differe
Unfortunately that is true for most industries. Its madness a work sometimes because of lack of training in the field

Windym87

Registered
28 May 2022
Warwick
Best answers
Country flag
Having just joined the forum and found this thread, it is very well received by me.

Given me plenty of ideas for the future, bravo chap.

Mark