The CBR Line is Born..

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Another month gone by and we have a roof now I can add the Slates at last, using my new machine to cut a basic roof part then using the old screw driver make all the lines and angles so they like like slates.

Maybe open for business sometime in 2020 :) still not decided about that bay window roof yet..

CNC cut roof outline

CAFE-10.jpg

Just one more barge board to print and attach, the whole of the main roof removes in one piece for access to lights inside etc, think it will be all watertight when finished.. The whole roof has internal frames printed to add strength and stop it warping in theory

CAFE11.jpg

Rear wall and steps still to finish.

CAFE13.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It looks very Chr*stm*s.. With white roof's.. :eek:;):giggle::giggle:

? Did you 'CNC' all the 'stonework' behind it ? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
It looks very Chr*stm*s.. With white roof's.. :eek:;):giggle::giggle:

? Did you 'CNC' all the 'stonework' behind it ? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

No all the brickwork was done the old fashioned way :) but the chimneys won't be :D

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Another Month gone-by , dam I.m getting slower at this, Roofs nearly all done. I keep ignoring that bay window :D

Train 14-11-2019.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Started another project, making my own wagons from scratch using my printers :) first test frame built , one or two changes made so second on the go to get a better finish and more detail. Everything is printed apart from the wheels and LGB couplings, the couplings will get printed in the end as well rather than buying them, there is no brake detail yet, but there will be :) they look like the Accucraft W&L wagons (or will do when finished) but with LGB pivots rather than fixed wheels. Not decided how to make the body's yet , one for a five plank wagon already drawn up, but don't intend to 3D print the whole body I don't think.

Coal1.jpg

Coal2.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Started another project, making my own wagons from scratch using my printers :) first test frame built , one or two changes made so second on the go to get a better finish and more detail. Everything is printed apart from the wheels and LGB couplings, the couplings will get printed in the end as well rather than buying them, there is no brake detail yet, but there will be :) they look like the Accucraft W&L wagons (or will do when finished) but with LGB pivots rather than fixed wheels. Not decided how to make the body's yet , one for a five plank wagon already drawn up, but don't intend to 3D print the whole body I don't think.

View attachment 262386

View attachment 262387
Nice job, not a great knowledge of the varying types of consumables available for 3D printing. Logic would suggest that those green parts be printed black and the sideframes grey thus meaning only a wipe over with a dulled down colour would give some weathering? Or am I missing some kind of UV protection?

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
The main frames etc are ABS printed and could be printed in grey ( I only had Black) The Wheel mountings are printed in PETG, which bonds layers very well together and you end up with very strong, and slightly flexible components so it's easy to fit the wheels into the supports ( I only had white ) , the green bits are Resin printed, the Resins come in various colors and have different printing set ups to suit, having found the settings for Green I have stuck with green so far, but could be done in Black or even could be turned into metal castings I suppose. All the bits we all be sprayed with the usual car paints then given a Matt sealer coat, so in theory they will end up very well UV protected, The Painted version above was hand painted to see what it looked like.

ABS parts painted I have had outside on various buildings now for two years and no noticeable change in them. Resin parts only around 9 months, the post boxes and people seem to be all OK flat thin signs like the notice boards I printed have warped a bit in the sun, so things like that are made a bit thicker now or glued all over the back to hold them flat. When fully complete I will probably have a go at weathering one too see if I am any good at that :) I think they will always be painted with car paints, as there will always be some sanding / finishing required to parts to get ride of layer lines on certain printed things.

LGeoB

Registered
12 Dec 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
The main frames etc are ABS printed and could be printed in grey ( I only had Black) The Wheel mountings are printed in PETG, which bonds layers very well together and you end up with very strong, and slightly flexible components so it's easy to fit the wheels into the supports ( I only had white ) , the green bits are Resin printed, the Resins come in various colors and have different printing set ups to suit, having found the settings for Green I have stuck with green so far, but could be done in Black or even could be turned into metal castings I suppose. All the bits we all be sprayed with the usual car paints then given a Matt sealer coat, so in theory they will end up very well UV protected, The Painted version above was hand painted to see what it looked like.

ABS parts painted I have had outside on various buildings now for two years and no noticeable change in them. Resin parts only around 9 months, the post boxes and people seem to be all OK flat thin signs like the notice boards I printed have warped a bit in the sun, so things like that are made a bit thicker now or glued all over the back to hold them flat. When fully complete I will probably have a go at weathering one too see if I am any good at that :) I think they will always be painted with car paints, as there will always be some sanding / finishing required to parts to get ride of layer lines on certain printed things.

Can I ask where you got the CAD/printer files for the green parts. I have a LGB wagon with one bearing missing so was thinking of 3D printing some replacements. If you designed them yourself, can I please get a copy of the CAD files?

Geoff

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Can I ask where you got the CAD/printer files for the green parts. I have a LGB wagon with one bearing missing so was thinking of 3D printing some replacements. If you designed them yourself, can I please get a copy of the CAD files?

Geoff

Hi, mine are not LGB copies, but if you search somewhere like Thingyverse and type in LGB, there are quite a few wagons / carriages with the axle box's on them so you should be able to find an LGB looking version.

cbr axel box.jpg

LGeoB

Registered
12 Dec 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, mine are not LGB copies, but if you search somewhere like Thingyverse and type in LGB, there are quite a few wagons / carriages with the axle box's on them so you should be able to find an LGB looking version.

View attachment 262418
I found one - didn't think to look for a whole waggon. Found the part I needed. Thanks.

I do like your "CBR 1920" text on the bearing.

Geoff

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Sid,
I am liking the fidelity of the resin-printed parts..

How brittle are they, in your experience? - How do you think the wagon would fair, if it fell from a kitchen work-surface to hard floor?

PhilP

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Sid,

How brittle are they, in your experience? - How do you think the wagon would fair, if it fell from a kitchen work-surface to hard floor?

PhilP
I doubt anything has the resilience of genuine LGB in those circumstances, but I stand to be corrected.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Sid,

PhilP

The Filament printed parts would stand up to the fall I believe, but not tested :sweating:, the Resin axle box's would not if the wagon fell on them , they would break I am sure as resin is by nature quite a brittle material. But if I break one I can print another one and replace it, Safety Note to self to do put wagons on Kitchen worktop :)

Decided in for a penny in for a pound so 18 hours of printing and I have a wagon 5 plank top, all the corner angles etc that fit on to it are resin printed bits but it's to dam cold for the resin printer to run in the garage today so fingers crossed it warms up this weekend so I can print them parts next.

coal3.jpg

Coal4.jpg

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Mk 1 just about complete, now it's back to the drawing board for more tweaks. ...

Coal5.jpg

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Mk II just about Printed all the upper strapping still printing, now I am wondering about a Mk III :D it would look so Mainline British with them buffers , and I know all the reasons why they would be a pain especially with R1s, the center buffer would not be there as well, I just stuck a pair on with some tape to see what they would look like :)

Coal6.jpg

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Now Printed three and on it's final design maybe :) decided to print all the hooks and loops, not quite the same as LGB but close, changed to suit the process of a 3D printer.. So apart from the metal wheels and the two plastic springs, I bought a packet of the plastic springs, the rest is now all 3D printed. Hopefully all three will be ready for a test run at the weekend, to see if my hooks and loops work as they should do..

Coal7.jpg

Coal8.jpg :D

FurkaSOCal

Registered
26 Dec 2017
San Diego
Best answers
Country flag
I apologize if this has already been asked, but what is your process and what type of paint do you use when painting ABS prints?

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi I had been using Halfords Plastic primer on parts after they have had a sand where needed, but the last set of wagons above all done with Hycote Matt Black and grey spray paints and everything then is given a coat of Matt Plasticote Sealer to give everything a Matt even finish. The oldest ABS items I have outside are my signal boxes which will have been out two years this year one was done with Plastic primer and the other with Hycote and the paint looks fine on both of them odd bit of crazing on the Red which was a spray acrylic paint, but the white and Grey parts all look fine still just weathered a bit.

FurkaSOCal

Registered
26 Dec 2017
San Diego
Best answers
Country flag
Hi I had been using Halfords Plastic primer on parts after they have had a sand where needed, but the last set of wagons above all done with Hycote Matt Black and grey spray paints and everything then is given a coat of Matt Plasticote Sealer to give everything a Matt even finish. The oldest ABS items I have outside are my signal boxes which will have been out two years this year one was done with Plastic primer and the other with Hycote and the paint looks fine on both of them odd bit of crazing on the Red which was a spray acrylic paint, but the white and Grey parts all look fine still just weathered a bit.
Great thanks for the info, I assume you're just sanding with a fine sandpaper first? Or are you doing any sort of acetone smoothing.