The CBR Line is Born..

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice looking signs, there must be a money/barter making scheme there somewhere

I think it is yet another case of having the time, skill (draftsmanship), to do this sort of thing??
Only worth it for your enjoyment, and enhancement of your 'railway world'.. I doubt, if costed-out properly, it would be viable??

Though if used to create 'masters' for moulding multiple copies, in either resin or metal, it could be worth-while?

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
You certainly appear to have got to grips with the 3D Printing game, wish I had the guts to have a go. Have a friend locally that has one and I have a need for some signs. Mine are a bit different but 3D will I am sure how to cope with them. Gradient Posts on the Harz Narrow Gauge Lines are Thin Metal ones that looks like someone has shot the Text in with a Gun IE all done with Holes. Odd and very different.

It depends how small the holes are :) I know 1mm holes don't print they fill up, tried that on some of my signs. 2mm would but not tried anything else yet will small holes.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I think it is yet another case of having the time, skill (draftsmanship), to do this sort of thing??
Only worth it for your enjoyment, and enhancement of your 'railway world'.. I doubt, if costed-out properly, it would be viable??

Though if used to create 'masters' for moulding multiple copies, in either resin or metal, it could be worth-while?

Guess what I do for a living :) you could probably be right, the best use would be to make masters to make mounds from, then cast as you say in resin or metal, one off signs while fun to make would never make a lot of money, unless you start and charge silly prices like they do on shapeways, but that's why I bought the printer , I'm not going to pay the silly prices and I am sure a lot of others would not either.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
It depends how small the holes are :) I know 1mm holes don't print they fill up, tried that on some of my signs. 2mm would but not tried anything else yet will small holes.
Hm yes will probably be around 1mm or less. Clearly 3D is not for that task!

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hm yes will probably be around 1mm or less. Clearly 3D is not for that task!

The reason the 1 mm holes didn't print was because I was printing flat on the build plate, so you get something called the elephants foot effect as you over expose the bottom layers to make sure it's stuck to the build plate, and the over exposure is what closes up the holes. I printed another time table today so I changed the holes to 1.5mm they print direct on the build plate, if you printed something on supports rather than flat on the build plate then I suspect 1 mm holes is possible then, but they would take longer to print
because of the support structure, less than 1 mm and you would be looking an more up-market printers :)

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Printed Passengers, I found a file to test, he's a bit modern looking but I can now print people on my resin printer, now I just need to make the files to print :cry:

man01.jpg

After hes sun bathing he got dressed to catch a train :)

man02.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Printed Passengers, I found a file to test, he's a bit modern looking but I can now print people on my resin printer, now I just need to make the files to print :cry:

View attachment 254846

After hes sun bathing he got dressed to catch a train :)

View attachment 254847
The ‘Struts’ necessary to create a true 3D figure look like a Big Dipper in my eyes. But you have certainly got the hang of the dark art that is 3D Printing. Superb job.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
So how long to 'print' that figure on/in a resin printer?

How long under UV to cure?

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
that figure took 3.5 hours and in this heat wave no long to cure it :) the second figure I printed only took just over two hours, it all depends how much Z height you use up to get them in the best position to print, as it's how many layers you print that sets the time frame irrespective of what you are printing .

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
The reason the 1 mm holes didn't print was because I was printing flat on the build plate, so you get something called the elephants foot effect as you over expose the bottom layers to make sure it's stuck to the build plate, and the over exposure is what closes up the holes. I printed another time table today so I changed the holes to 1.5mm they print direct on the build plate, if you printed something on supports rather than flat on the build plate then I suspect 1 mm holes is possible then, but they would take longer to print
because of the support structure, less than 1 mm and you would be looking an more up-market printers :)
But what about dimples to be drilled out? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
It's been a long time since I have scribed bricks forgot how much it makes my wrist hurt :), it may be awhile before it's open for business. There has to be an easier way of making brick patterns ....

Newbuild01.jpg

Decided I could probably 3D print all the bay window, only done the bottom brick work so far, I need to draw the rest before I can print it :)

newbuild03.jpg

• Love

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not the best week for a Holiday it keeps raining :cry: so got a bit more done on my building, it keeps growing, it is based roughly on an image of a card kit I saw online that I liked the look of. Once you start making it at G scale you begin to realize it's a bit bigger than you thought :rofl: It has a lot of roofs that I didn't think about enough, as I will want them so you can remove the main ones so you can change the light bulbs in them if need be, so they are going to be a bit of a pain. Bay now all printed apart from it's roof still not sure what sort of roof to give it yet , Flat or pitched.

Newbuild-04.jpg

• Love

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
For the practicality of getting rid of water... make it pitched! :nod::nod:

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
For the practicality of getting rid of water... make it pitched! :nod::nod:

I did just mean the roof on the Printed Bay window, not sure I can draw that with tiles on with all the angles to be able to print it :)

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
No, just knowing the problems of 1:1 'flat' bays.. :(

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Bit More done, at the end of two weeks Holiday I thought I might be tiling roofs, but as with everything it all takes longer than expected :) The Flat roof on the Bay is not gluded on, I'm just thinking about it still :rofl:

Newbuild-05.jpg

Newbuild-06.jpg

• Love

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Nearly a month gone by, but at last all the Brickwork is finished and all but two window insert frames to print and add. Next bit not looking forward too, there's too many roofs to make and tile :)

Newbuild-08.jpg

• Love