The CBR Line is Born..

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
That's marvellous, what did you use to make the tank?

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
That's marvellous, what did you use to make the tank?

Thanks, the tank is made from PVC board, the raised frames were then glued on and the rivets are brass pins , I have 1000s of them and a pin pusher from the days I used to make wooden galleons :)

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, the tank is made from PVC board, the raised frames were then glued on and the rivets are brass pins , I have 1000s of them and a pin pusher from the days I used to make wooden galleons :)
Thanks, it certainly looks the business:clap:

Monk_1987

Registered
6 Aug 2014
Pontypridd
Best answers
Country flag
This is stunning! Fair play!

Reactions: 1 user

Mcvie

Registered
25 Nov 2017
Kettle Falls, WA.
Best answers
Fine work! I too will be doing my layout this summer. Right now it's 18 degrees Farenheit outside and snow everywhere.
Best of luck as you go foward, and looking forward to more photos of your progress.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Version 3 of my Signal design finished, installed and wired, just need to print and assemble a few more now :) fingers crossed it lasts outside in all weather as that's the intention now to install them and keep them outside, at the moment arm movement is manual still thinking about a cost effective way to move them or might stay with a poky stick :)

train03-16-12-2017.jpg

Production started on a batch of them now , image below shows how that are attached to the track.

train04-16-12-2017.jpg

Water tower now finished so decided it needs a water crane to go with it, spend a few days drawing one up and printing it , needs weathering and and then lacquering' then it's ready to be installed.

train02-16-12-2017.jpg

Be Glad when it stops freezing, not many trains can run as all my points freeze solid, so they derail pushing through points set the wrong way :(

Reactions: 5 users

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
What's the score with the signals? Are they scratchbuilt or bought?

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
What's the score with the signals? Are they scratchbuilt or bought?

They were modeled by me and then they are printed on a 3D printer I bought, it's not a printer that costs a silly Money :)

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
They were modeled by me and then they are printed on a 3D printer I bought, it's not a printer that costs a silly Money :)
They look good!

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Mild day so finally got the water tower installed and re-wired the reverse module so it now lives in the tank :)

Train 22-12-17.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Been Playing over Christmas 3D Printer meets PVC Board :) Work in progress.

Train2-27-12-2017.jpg

Train1-27-12-2017.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Tell us more..
Which is pure PVC board, and which is printed?

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Tell us more..
Which is pure PVC board, and which is printed?

The base is all PVC board except the window and doors,
The stairs is all 3D printed,
The upper, all wall frames and windows and roof trusses are printed with infill boards made from PVC
The roof all framing / roof trusses are 3d printed the roof outer shell in PVC board, Roof tiles do know yet what they will be made from.
The Man was bought :)

Internal Lever frame, Stove and other fittings will be 3D printed as you will be able to see most of them so I suppose I should built the inside of the Signal box.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice!
Print me one at 12" to the foot, for the back garden please! ;):giggle::giggle:

Reactions: 3 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The base is all PVC board except the window and doors,
The stairs is all 3D printed,
The upper, all wall frames and windows and roof trusses are printed with infill boards made from PVC
The roof all framing / roof trusses are 3d printed the roof outer shell in PVC board, Roof tiles do know yet what they will be made from.
The Man was bought :)

Internal Lever frame, Stove and other fittings will be 3D printed as you will be able to see most of them so I suppose I should built the inside of the Signal box.
Sid you say th printer was a cheep one, judging by the lookof the stairs it certainly appears to do a great job. Can you give us a pic of the beast and make please? Might be just the beast to go for for those few items that are needed amongst us. Oh then there is the need to learn 3d cad, but I keep hearing and seeing people doing things with iPhones and iPads that may just work for me if I investigate further.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I picked up an anycubic I3 , which is basically a fully built metal construction printer, it has no enclosure but you can find details on the net on how to build an enclose for a Printer from two ikea side tables and a sheet of perspex so you can then control the temperature better and print ABS. I am not saying this is the best printer to get, but to me it has proved that you don't need to speed silly money to get a printer that can produce detailed models, all in mine cost with enclosed less than £400 , I am sure some will disagree with me about the quality of the machine etc etc which is why this is not a recommendation but just my experience with a relatively cheep printer

By the time it's printed the ten signals I need , two single boxes and two water cranes, It will have paid for itself by saving the money I would nave spent on buying kits to do the same thing :), there are reviews on the nett if you search for the printer by name.

Reactions: 1 users

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Bit more done on the Signal Box got carried away adding all the detail to the inside of the Roof, also because you can, I made my levers so they can Pivot :) not really sure why as I am not going to connect them to anything...

Train1 01-01-2018.jpg

Train2 01-01-2018.jpg

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Slow week back to work :( so less time to build plus weather too cold to spray paint outside, so worked on the insides for the signal box.

Train01 07-01-2018.jpg Train02 07-01-2018.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Bit more done on the Signal Box , main box now all painted in CBR colors, and windows glazed and roof tiled, few minor details still to add and still thinking about guttering , as the roof removes for access to the box it might be a pain to add it.Just need to re-print the stairs to their final design in ABS and paint them and then it's complete :)

Now need to decide where to site it, probably would be an odd position opposite the station but it can be seen from the house window when lite up, the intention is to have a level crossing over this line somewhere probably the easiest place for it would be beyond the two signals where it's a single line before the bridge which I suppose would mean the signal box would be near the crossing. Deciding where to site the box is harder than building it :D

Train 14-01-2018.jpg

Reactions: 7 users

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Not perfect for the crossing.. But a little more 'to the right', with a barrow crossing at the bottom of the steps to the base of the platform ramp would not look out of place?