The CBR Line is Born..

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Nice work so far Sid....

Reactions: 1 user

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Keep the off cuts - will come in handy one day!

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Another slow week...filled in the track Gap I had at least but then realized I had put the isolating track joiners in the wrong places in my return curve so had to move them :blush:
Now it's dawned on me that there is more wiring than I realized needed just to make the EPL drive work as an automatic setup for reversing the power, I need to run four wires from the power pack which is a long way away o_O so still no cigar this week.

train 27-11.jpg

Nearly finished my line side building, found the perfect pen top to make chimneys out off, made two from one pen but the dog decided to stress test one of them so need a new pen to cut up now so I can make another for my other building. Just glazing to add now and figure out how I am going to stick the gutters I have made to it, bought some yellow single LED's this week so added one to it so it looks like an oil light inside when light up.Still working on the bit that joins the building to the points , might have to fetch the points inside to work on it dam cold outside..

train 27-11-2.jpg

The image below shows what I was building in the upper half of it, but the wife suggested I extend in to the middle border, ( I think she just wants me to sort out more of the garden for her ) played today at adding something to it, bottom half of the image. It takes a lot of space to turn a train round :( it looked a big border but not sure what to add to it yet, one advantage is I would get a long bridge across the path. Now I need to decide if I am going to add the extra bit or not as the track will need to climb around the loop behind the Shed to allow the tracks to cross plus the border is higher than the current one I am laying track in..

TRAIN1.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
There will be a lot going on either side of that narrow path..

What is bottom left of your plan? - Where is house / patio in relation to the railway?

I think I would move the lower station to lower left straight (and end curve) of that border?? (Think of Ffestiniog, Harbour station)..

Apart from that.. LAND-GRAB! (with approval, a result!) ;)

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
There will be a lot going on either side of that narrow path..

What is bottom left of your plan? - Where is house / patio in relation to the railway?

I think I would move the lower station to lower left straight (and end curve) of that border?? (Think of Ffestiniog, Harbour station)..

Apart from that.. LAND-GRAB! (with approval, a result!) ;)

The bottom left and right hand is all Patio and the house is at the bottom of the image, the Bottom left hand side from the shed and around the existing flower border is fenced off for the Dogs so that bits a no go area. Her idea was to have a smallish town built on the existing flower border with a station. I drew the return loop in so it could run untended but a loop takes up to much of the border really and as it's a 18" tall brick built border the shape of it is fixed really as I have already re-layed all the paving slabs around it. The Lower central station is not really visible from the house and the loop behind the Shed is also hidden so that bit will just be a simple elevated section at the moment. Shame the shed is there that would have been a good corner to work in :)

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Image below shows the relationship between things better maybe. Red line is a fence to keep dogs off the railway :) Future Area to the Right beyond the Gate is where the right hard return loop would be removed so it could expand into an area probably 30 times longer and wider than this area one day.... but the Wallet won't allow that :rofl:
TRAIN3.jpg

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Been having a Play on the PC costs nothing to experiment that way :) left hand end would have two curves Lower as a return loop for continuous running, outer loop to elevate up to feed the new area with a terminus type station rather than a loop as the above pic had, that way there is more room for plants and buildings. The Spur behind the Right hand side station might go, again to allow more plants to separate the station from the back line, as the area is not really big enough to do what I was going to build there. Not sure about the Lower central stop area now weather to keep it or not...funny how things look a lot different once they are in the garden rather than on a PC screen. Is the idea below of two loops and a terminus station better than the previous version for running variations ?

TRAIN4.jpg

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
...It takes a lot of space to turn a train round :(
You have got quite a long run there. If space for return loops is a problem, remember real railways rarely have a turnaround loop, that's why they have turntables or tank engines that can run backwards. Unless you definitely want a continuous loop, you could have a more prototypical end to end layout with run-around and passing loops. It would be more interesting operationally but more "hands-on". If you wanted to sit and watch trains rather than drive them all the time there are options for automatically shuttling trains to and fro using DCC or analogue, although it's very difficult to automate the full "uncouple loco, run around to other end of train, couple up and go" without more sophisticated probably computerized automation.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Been having a Play on the PC costs nothing to experiment that way :) left hand end would have two curves Lower as a return loop for continuous running, outer loop to elevate up to feed the new area with a terminus type station rather than a loop as the above pic had, that way there is more room for plants and buildings. The Spur behind the Right hand side station might go, again to allow more plants to separate the station from the back line, as the area is not really big enough to do what I was going to build there. Not sure about the Lower central stop area now weather to keep it or not...funny how things look a lot different once they are in the garden rather than on a PC screen. Is the idea below of two loops and a terminus station better than the previous version for running variations ?

View attachment 217041

I think the removal of the return loop in the lower portion of the plan is a good one. You still have the return loops for continuous running and now you have a prototypical station area where the return loop was removed.

I would not get rid of the siding behind the station in the right hand return loop. It allows cars to be set out and gives the layout a bit more play value.

Also, I would keep the station passing siding in the center area. This will allow you to run more trains at one time. Train A pulls into the station while train B moves off.

Frank Gallagher

Well matured physically if not mentally
1 Jun 2016
Chatsworth
Best answers
You may find the terminus doesn't get used much as (I find) its preferable to sit and watch running much more than actually driving.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I tend to agree with Frank above. It depends on what sort of train runner you are. I certainly am a sit back and watch trains run with a glass in my hand so a terminus would be little used by me. Also, I often let trains run when I am in the garden - again, little use for a terminus. But, of course, its horses for courses - we are all different. Just have a think through wjat you really want to do with your railway.
And, of course, you can always change it later - that's half the fun.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for reply's, The main idea I suppose behind the terminus station is it gives a larger area to have a small village setting which is what the wife liked the idea off, she's seen too many pics on here :) if I put the return loop on that border then I just end up with a land locked circle which probably wouldn't look very realistic for a small village idea, but using the station would mean being a driver and not a watcher.

With two loops behind the Shed I can complete the lower level with a return loop on both ends and then add the second loop to fed the upper station later while having something that runs in the meantime.

Which type of user am I, good question probably both a driver and watcher, hence the original idea of the return loop behind the shed so I could just sit and watch if I wanted.

The siding on the right hand return loop was going to be to a Goods shed idea but not enough room in depth to do that so it looks pleasing, I suppose sometimes less is more, this could be a passenger line only :)

At the moment it will all be controlled the old fashioned way but hopefully will end up with a MTS system, I have watched a couple of the LGB MTS II boxes that sell around 100 just for the main box., but not bought one, as I need to walk before I run and finish laying track first.

Frank Gallagher

Well matured physically if not mentally
1 Jun 2016
Chatsworth
Best answers
It cant hurt to have the best of both worlds

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
Not full size but Dungeness on the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch.

Paul

Indeed, the only ones I know of are Ely North Junction (Adelaide Loop),

and the one on the Harz Railway, close to Stiege....

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Not full size but Dungeness on the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch.

Paul
You are of course correct Paul. It is probably used more than the Ely curve, and has regular scheduled services, so it is a 'main line' in miniature.

And to think I did travel on it a few weeks ago too....

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 217041
I rather like this, with a Terminus, Through Station and a Reverce Loop you have a great option if you would like to do Timetable Running.

With the 2 Reverce Loops, MTS Reverce Modules and Spring Points you have a sit with a Glass of Beer and watch the Train run round in Loops till it disappears up it's own Tail Lamp.

However with the 2 Return Loops you could do both if you had a mind.
JonD

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Another week and I have changed my mind again ROFL, new layout below, sat thinking why am I putting in return loops and all the wiring, then decided to work out how much it would actually cost me to do two automatic EPL loops as one day I hope it will be DCC control so no diodes, and it's going to cost more than the 5x1200mm track sections would ,so I did away with them :) That's one advantage of bedding track in ballast, you can change your mind eaisly or maybe not if I cemented it in I would stick to the plan.... :) Now I have a very long dog bone continuous loop ( or will have when it's finished ) and the new higher level end terminus. The existing siding behind my lower main station might or might not stay yet, as I can gain a few feet on the right hand end where I can get a couple of sidings and an engine shed rather than trying to squeeze them behind the station platform.

TRAIN5.jpg

Blue bit in the middle is the 5x1200mm sections that would replace the two sets of points and EPL drives and wiring.

train 10-12-16.jpg

Points removed and now double track so no return loop this end now..

train 10-12-16-4.jpg

First run with a train with carriages :D now I just need to build the other end of the loop behind the shed and I have a continuous loop to run for a starter..:cool:

Reactions: 1 users

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
train 27-12-16.jpg

Been building finished one and a half platforms so far, Station building is not the one off this platform. Got a LGB street light for Xmas to see if I like them, base is massive :think: going to have to think of a way to hide that if I use these lights. Need to get some letters next to make the station name boards this one will be called BUXUS we have decided, just not sure what size letters will look correct yet ?. Half a platform to build , Footbridge and Station building then it can go out into the Garden.. It takes longer to build these than I thought it would.

Reactions: 3 users