Taita Gorge Railway

Sean.

Hmmmm
5 Oct 2017
Boston & Cocagne NB (not enough)
Best answers
Country flag
111767_c8558a8a595d7ba6c9391edfb239ee6d.jpg

It looks like one of the guys is loosing his pants...

Reactions: 1 user

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0184 - Copy.JPG

Official 19th birthday photo.

Reactions: 3 users

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Today, the team at Taita Gorge hosted the 2019 New Zealand Garden Railway Convention.

DSC_0186.JPG

Early birds get the shady seats Outback. Red boxes are all mine, there was no visiting stock, somewhat of a change to our 'normal' running days.

DSC_0190.JPG

Editor of the Garden Whistle lining up a shot for the magazine.

DSC_0192.JPG

....meanwhile, there were some side attractions over the back fence. Lead loco is soon for retirement, not many of the original 85 left now.

DSC_0193.JPG

..... and they all went in peace, and were well pleased.

I actually enjoyed this visit, having a preplanned programme of trains all set up. No stock was manhandled during this exercise.
Intelligent conversation too, not a single 'you should' comment.

Reactions: 6 users

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
In the guise of 'just answering a few questions' I actually did some impromptu clinics.

Reverse Loop Operation in answer to the inevitable question on what do you use (DPDT switch, and change direction on the contoller).
How do you keep your telegraph poles from moving/falling..... drive a 2x2 (or 2x2 for our American friends) peg into the ground to below ground level,
drill post hole in peg, plant pole, then backfill with ballast. Same method for signal posts, by the way.
Increase the hauling capacity of a small LGB loco..... remove the skates, especially if they have worn a groove in them.

Wellington Anniversary Day (Bank 'oliday, for you non colonials) tomorrow. 27°C forecast. Trains? Nothing else planned.

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Greenery, sunshine, and a well managed outside space.. Oh, and a Garden Railway.
:envy:
Nice! - Brightened-up a dull morning, thank you! :)
:nod::nod:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Don't it just get you, .... day after a big hosting session, some long awaited stuff turns up for the railway. #2 is doing a building job at his place, and 'some of that metal chip you've got there will go good on my railway when you have some left over'. Turns up early this morning with 'how many bucket loads (of ballast) do you want?'

We spread out in places needing a topdressing. I've just finished lining and tamping the track, and of course, testing. Ultimate test, run flat out, backwards... if it stays on, that's good track.
Test train was a complete 8 car Beer Train, no mamby pamby cheating by testing with a railcar, or light engine.

When you skimp on ballast, you are forever having to maintain the stuff, like I had been doing.

DSC_0194 _2_.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Electric postman has delivered a note declaring the Convention a success, and thanking those that opened up their railways.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Don't it just get you, .... day after a big hosting session, some long awaited stuff turns up for the railway. #2 is doing a building job at his place, and 'some of that metal chip you've got there will go good on my railway when you have some left over'. Turns up early this morning with 'how many bucket loads (of ballast) do you want?'

We spread out in places needing a topdressing. I've just finished lining and tamping the track, and of course, testing. Ultimate test, run flat out, backwards... if it stays on, that's good track.
Test train was a complete 8 car Beer Train, no mamby pamby cheating by testing with a railcar, or light engine.

When you skimp on ballast, you are forever having to maintain the stuff, like I had been doing.

View attachment 247676
Brave, brave mano_O

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Wellington Anniversary Day (Bank 'oliday, for you non colonials) tomorrow. 27°C forecast. Trains? Nothing else planned.

Not an 'oliday tomorrow, and 33°C forecast at the Taita Gorge...... I feel a thirst coming on.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Not an 'oliday tomorrow, and 33°C forecast at the Taita Gorge...... I feel a thirst coming on.

33°C, tick.
Thirst coming on, tick.
Early train to the pub, tick.
Train.... heat..... here endeth the ticks.

Exactly 9 km out, red light. Signals failure. Finally crawl another 1.5 km to the station, when we get advised that the heat has sagged the traction wires.
Buses are coming..... now that's the biggest lie in this town, 5 at night there ain't any spares, let alone drivers. Lead item on the 6 pm Network News.

Oh, t'morrow's s'posed to be even hotter. Normally, when trains stuff up, I'd take the day off to play trains, but already pulled that stunt this month after a derailment out the back of Taita Gorge last Thursday when a Hi Rail digger hit a train stop, derailed and ripped up some track.

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
33°C, tick.
Thirst coming on, tick.
Early train to the pub, tick.
Train.... heat..... here endeth the ticks.

Exactly 9 km out, red light. Signals failure. Finally crawl another 1.5 km to the station, when we get advised that the heat has sagged the traction wires.
Buses are coming..... now that's the biggest lie in this town, 5 at night there ain't any spares, let alone drivers. Lead item on the 6 pm Network News.

Oh, t'morrow's s'posed to be even hotter. Normally, when trains stuff up, I'd take the day off to play trains, but already pulled that stunt this month after a derailment out the back of Taita Gorge last Thursday when a Hi Rail digger hit a train stop, derailed and ripped up some track.
You could almost be describing issues in the UK last Summer, ‘wrong kind of heat’!

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
You could almost be describing issues in the UK last Summer, ‘wrong kind of heat’!

We have a strong BR 'influence' currently in our staff establishment.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
We have a strong BR 'influence' currently in our staff establishment.
I am ex BR, one of my well respected Superiors was the guy that got quoted for ‘the wrong kind of snow’ he Never did live it down!

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0204 - Copy.JPG

Bye !

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Summer is not quite over here on the Taita Gorge Railway. As usual, maintenance must be followed by testing. Uncropped photo, and, especially for Bob, no tilt correction.

The 'Stubbie' Beer train berthed in the dock road at Taita Gorge this afternoon..... doors open because the battery is out getting a recharge.
The Cable Car, out of shot, was cruising the line, enjoying the repaired track that it no longer almost stalls on (it had to climb out of a dip until I attended to the ballast depth).
This photo shows to good effect, the infamous Taita Gorge 5 o'clock shadow..... at 5 o'clock the shadow is behind the train, not in front of it like it is for the previous hours of daylight.

Last edited: