Swiftsixteen railcars

Dgs8899

Registered
10 Aug 2019
London
Best answers
Country flag
Has built these? They look good. Can get one as unpowered to run with the other as the power car? Thanks

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
By all accounts they seem fine. Obviously they are on the cheaper end of the market, and quite fiddly, but care and patience wins the day. Let us know how it goes, I've been tempted by them.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I looked at these some time back and was sorely tempted by one. I made up my mind to get one then was faced with the fact that they had ceased production. Now they look to be back in the Catalogue so should be available.

Not sure what your skill level is but they quote ‘this model is for expert builders’ in the instructions assuming you fit that bill then I reckon it will meet your requirements. However bearing their words I would suggest that you do indeed download and read their instructions, you would then be able to judge for yourself your competency to build this fine kit.

As for getting an unpowered one I would imagine that the suppliers would be happy to discuss this option though I can see nothing in the instructions that indicates if both bogies are powered, I would be tempted to get 2 kits and double power the one using the second as a trailer. The bogies look to fit in a similar space envelope, though you will be looking at £800 for this option. Will very much depend on the discussions you have with them and your layouts gradients as to whether a single powered Railbus will cope with a trailer attached.

Finally if you want the yellow Whiskers for the ends, they are a payable extra.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, talk to Swift Sixteen - they're approachable from my limited experience.

The models are resin, and usually fit together well after some necessary cleaning which is all in the instructions

There's a special battery pack for the railbus which fits under the floor - that's probably the only really tricky bit - getting all the wires inside :nod::nod:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
There's a lot to it - probably as much about patience as about skill :worried::worried:
Patience a skill inherent in women but never in men, well that is their view anyway. Try saying whose words to a Coarse Fisherman or any Man that has worked on scratch building in N Gauge or indeed any scale.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Patience and perseverance made the Bishop of his reverence

.......... so the old saying went :nod::nod:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I applied to be a doctor but they turned me down because they could read my writing.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I’m about half way through building one. It’s not the easiest thing I’ve ever built, but not the most difficult either. Getting the windows to fit correctly is the most difficult but I’d say.
This stuff if you do not know of it is a great product for help.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Well it looks interesting, having built 0 Gauge brass loco kits, (which normally are not complete kits!!) this should not be a problem, and Jon agree great glue for windows.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
By all accounts they seem fine. Obviously they are on the cheaper end of the market, and quite fiddly, but care and patience wins the day. Let us know how it goes, I've been tempted by them.
Wow.... £400 is at the cheaper end...?? I'd have said the IP Engineering railbus was nearer the lower end at £95 - Colonial Rail Bus Kit | IP Engineering - but even at that price, I'd have to save my pocket money to be able to afford one. I suppose these things are relative....

Rik