Suggestions for a paint weather sealer.

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, I am making up some model Site huts/line sheds that came in a laser printed kit form & have got to the under coat/primer & will be using acrylic to finish.
Any suggestions for a good sealer ??. I was thinking of spraying a 50/50 of SBR & water. Has anyone tried this ??.
Found this kit very nice to put together & was £35 & heavy at 1.3KL. Feels perfect for covering eclectic points control. Just got about 9 more to make ;)
DSCF7671.JPG

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, I am making up some model Site huts/line sheds that came in a laser printed kit form & have got to the under coat/primer & will be using acrylic to finish.
Any suggestions for a good sealer ??. I was thinking of spraying a 50/50 of SBR & water. Has anyone tried this ??.
Found this kit very nice to put together & was £35 & heavy at 1.3KL. Feels perfect for covering eclectic points control. Just got about 9 more to make ;)
View attachment 304662
Just a tip, when you build the other 9, you might want to glue the barge boards, on the gable ends, the correct way around. The Kippo Models are excellent, these lineside huts come in several variations, I converted one into a Goods Office for Gernise End Station, on the Claptowte Railway.

dig 210321001.JPG

David

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Just a tip, when you build the other 9, you might want to glue the barge boards, on the gable ends, the correct way around. The Kippo Models are excellent, these lineside huts come in several variations, I converted one into a Goods Office for Gernise End Station, on the Claptowte Railway.

View attachment 304663

David
Laugh, i wanted the more rustic look with the joist sticking out :blush:.. Did you give yours any protection ??

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Did you give yours any protection ??
No, for starters, I used enamel paints, not water based. The main difference is that the Clapwowte Railway was always intended to be an indoor railway, never to be exposed to the elements.

David

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
My Kippo and Modeltown resin kits are painted with enamels and no further protection.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I spray all of my buildings ( built from plastic or wood) with spray Matt varnish to take away any glossy bits that I do not want glossy. Also a few coats seal everything.
I use brands that do not yellow in sunlight … Testors Dulcote or Vallejo or Montana

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Strange, and don't take this as gospel please, but I've painted some of my Modeltown buildings with acrylics and no sealant, they seem to last quite well. I've also used external masonry paint which works well too, you can buy match pots which will last some time

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Strange, and don't take this as gospel please, but I've painted some of my Modeltown buildings with acrylics and no sealant, they seem to last quite well. I've also used external masonry paint which works well too, you can buy match pots which will last some time
I am looking at acrylics as it's an easer to work with, plus, quite a bit cheaper. For a primer & finish coat, i will use SBR.
PVA Vs SBR. They have similar characteristics, but the main difference is that SBR is not water-soluble once dry & makes a good weather resistant finish, whereas PVA remains water-soluble & will eventually break down.
I will do some experimenting & start with a 4to1 spray to see how it goes.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Same for me, I have some old Tom Cooper terracota buikdings. They were purchased around 1992 painted with Rooney Tube Acrylic paints. Just had 2 repaints in that time and look superb. The Acrylic can look a bit shiny at first but a winter outside sees off any shine.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Just remember that a lot of car paint is now acrylic, so just because it is water based, doesn't stop it being water proof when dry.
Unfortunately I've had a few cars where I've got wetter inside than out, though :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 304662
Just a thought, if you intend to spray with the mix of SBR may I suggest that you use an old kitchen spray rather than a good quality spray gun as the SBR is very likely to gum up a spray gun if not cleaned to perfection. Whilst an old kitchen spray can be collateral damage. Also please use a mask as SBR is a very effective glue even at 50/50 mix.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Have I missed something here?

Are the kits resin, or 'wood'?

I can obviously see the need to seal wood, but not resin.

PhilP

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Have I missed something here?

Are the kits resin, or 'wood'?

I can obviously see the need to seal wood, but not resin.

PhilP
I was more thinking of the paint than the resin. Was just to give it a bit more longevity in our lovely UK winters. These will be permanently outside as most will have controls inside them for points & lighting.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
In which case, a matt (or satin) UV protective spray might be better, perhaps?

PhilP