Scratchbuilding a G-scale Engine Shed

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Nico - I guess I'll have to suck it and see, and will be careful about gluing anything else. The doors will be painted and sealed with primer and oil paint so hopefully a little protected, and the shed will be brought inside at the end of operating weekends - so I'm fairly confident it will be fine, but will make sure I use Evostik or Araldite for securing the doors into the building :)

nico

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Ireland
nslrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
will you have the doors opening if not use clear silicone to install and for windows so if you have repairs you can take them backout of building without damage:clap:

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I've been working on and off on the shed over the past few weeks, whilst refining the track plan for the outdoor layout and getting a big track order placed with Dragon G-scale!

In the last few days, as I'm skint, I've been working on the shed again using materials I had to hand...
e46f8bf7039b4c87aee27701255615bf.jpg

69fda5466e43497592d123ae8deca158.jpg

069af581a8c54913a03b1a87f81515b8.jpg

The doors were primed with Halfords plastic primer and then painted with Humbrol 98 (Matt chocolate) - they're attached with Bostik general purpose glue - a light weight contact adhesive to try and protect the doors, and give a little if they're knocked. It seems to have worked as when my daughter 'tested' them to see if they closed it just peeled away without causing any damage.

(EDIT: Noticed the doors aren't really visible on these photos - MORE ON MY BLOG: http://ejklr.blogspot.com) < Link To http://ejklr.blogspot.com )

The roof is roofing felt, stuck on with the little stones facing down - I used outdoor guttering sealant as a glue as it's black and remains flexible so it shouldn't dry out and allow the felt to lift. The roof still needs detailing but I was waiting to get the felt on before I did the smoke vents.

Before I do those, I'm going to do the interior - a bench, some plug sockets and a light switch - perhaps some posters...

I'm getting inspiration to start the station next too :)

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks! I've dug out some of the detail parts that came with my father's Bachmann Shay - I'm going to use the tool box, vice and some of the other tools inside the shed, so tonight I'll start on a workbench area. I plan on having these details spread out inside the shed, with the finer stuff closer to the front (as you can see more of it) whilst still having some details towards the rear of the shed to balance the visual interest :)

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Exciting evening fitting out the shed with a work bench (plasticard), sockets and light switches (plasticard and marker pen) and then fitting some of the tools from the Bachmann Shay accessory pack including the excellent bench mounted vice!

What do you think?
I think it just needs a stove in the corner and then I can do the exterior details.
b6f4055ce0624040ba81d89265d87346.jpg

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
ha was just thinking the same thing mel - would look the part if only railheads were visibile... great work though....

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks guys - remember this is a working shed that will be outdoors for the summer so needs to be removable - and fairly robust! That's why I've just cut a slot in the base for the track rather than go the whole hog and do inset track :)

It's screaming out for dirtying up - but until I decide whether or not I'm weathering things it can stay crisp and clean. It's easy to add, damn hard to remove!