jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag

The story of an Engine Shed for the EJ&KLR

[size=14pt]My G-scale journey continues and I'm beginning to really really enjoy working in this scale. It feels much more liberating and the bulk and familiarity of the materials you can use is really refreshing. So the EJ&KLR (rhttp://ejklr.blogspot.com/ < Link To ead my blog - much more regular updates than on here) needs a shed.

This project is very emotional because although these plans were discussed with my father, I never had a chance to show him the plans before
http://ejklr.blogspot.com/2011/01/keith-hilton-1942-to-2011.html < Link To he passed away on the 10th, earlier this month. Buildings and structures have always been a big part of his modelling, he scratchbuilt a massive GWR Engine Shed for our Didcot layout in my early teens, along with a workshop and coaling stage - all out of plywood and hardboard - then clad with plasticard. Later on he built two massive grain elevatorsfor our http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14061 < Link To Harris, Saskatchewan layout based on the Canadian prairies, this time MDF clad in plasticard.

He was more of an artist than an engineer or draughtsman, a trait I expect that came from his life long passion for geography (and in particular teaching - inspiring and energising students - he went from teaching, to lecturing to Head of Department at Chester College and on the way wrote a best selling Geography A-level
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Process-Pattern-Physical-Geography-Hilton/dp/0003223094 < Link To textbook). In this vein his structures were artist impressions - really realistic, but not ultra sharp or accurate scale models - they captured the emotion and character of the structures they represented with an imperfect warmth that I always found hard to replicate in my early teens. Even more recently I've been hugely frustrated by building structures in 4mm, never quite happy - although http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/376/entry-4310-down-the-station-in-the-morning/ < Link To Rose Hill station was a triumph and a model that Dad reflected really captured the character perfectly of the suburban run down station.

Everything in G is big though - so the idea of going back to my natural wood working, well wood bodging skills came to mind and a suitable quantity of MDF was purchased from the local DIY superstore. But what to build? There was a distinct lack of suitable plans to follow despite trawling the internet. On top of that the EJ&KLR is a freelance creation of both my father and my minds. I've always had in mind something along the line of the Welshpool and Llanfair in nature, but with a
http://www.narrow-gauge.co.uk/gallery/show.php?image_id=1013&cat_id=134 < Link To strong Austrian influence.

So the first few days after
http://ejklr.blogspot.com/2011/01/keith-hilton-1942-to-2011.html < Link To he passed away I found myself doodling plans - and after about Mark V I had something which did it - captured the essence of what I wanted to create. It's got an element of the Welshpool and Llanfair running shed, along with Austrian Narrow Gauge sheds evocative of the last days of regular steam operation on these lines in the 1970s.

[/size]

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Trains_du_Steyrtalbahn_04.jpg < Link To
512px-Trains_du_Steyrtalbahn_04.jpg

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Trains_du_Steyrtalbahn_04.jpg < Link To Trains du Steyrtalbahn 04 [CC-BY-2.0 (www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], by trams aux fils., from Wikimedia Commons

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Countess_and_Earl_at_Llanfair_Caereinion.jpg < Link To
512px-Countess_and_Earl_at_Llanfair_Caereinion.jpg

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Countess_and_Earl_at_Llanfair_Caereinion.jpg < Link To Countess and Earl at Llanfair Caereinion [CC-BY-2.0 (www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], by fairlightworks, from Wikimedia Commons

After the purchase of the LGB U-tank 0-6-2 I knew the vital dimensions I needed to accomodate so I drew up a sketch in Adobe Illustrator to get the proportions right - something I'd not done previously. It all looked well, and so with a few tweaks of the geometry around the door and incorporating some construction notes I was ready to start.
1459a9a366e54ce29072525f566de7ff.jpg

The weather today however has not been conducive to cutting up wood outside - however a small break in the rain (well it turned to drizzle) and I braved it and in under half an hour had all the pieces cut out (just by eye following pencil lines with my jig saw - no precision cutting here) and dry assembled in the kitchen to check the design had translated well to 3D! To give you an idea of the size this is 40cm long, and 21cm wide - about 25cm high. The sides are 12mm and the ends and base are 9mm MDF. Satisfyingly chunky.
afbf614b42154ce0981740982833187e.jpg

the sides and marked up the doorways and windows. These parts were taken back outside. To cut the windows you drill a hole in the middle and then use the jig saw to open the window up by cutting into the corners and then back along each edge. It sounds tricky but is really straight forward. I took the finished items back into the kitchen and wow - it looks superb. Absolutely perfect.
c94172d9e72d4941b2d2990746085afb.jpg

This project is as much a tribute as it is therapy - and I'm finding the skills I'm using quite energising at the moment. Combining notebook sketches, computer drawings, woodwork - and creating something chunky, heavy with real mass - it's very satisfying and creative.

So anyhow - what next? Well it's now glued and drying in the kitchen and I've used a diluted exterior PVA mix washed over the MDF to seal it. The first coat of primer has now been applied as well - but with a 24 hour drying time I'm now treading water. I need to complete the interior painting before I can measure up, cut and glue on the roof! This is likely to be finished with tar paper, whereas the walls will be painted in Sandtex exterior masonary paint.

Questions, comments, thoughts, reflections, encouragement - all welcome. Can I all urge you to visit my blog (
http://ejklr.blogspot.com/ < Link To http://ejklr.blogspot.com/ < Link To http://ejklr.blogspot.com</a></font></font> < Link To http://ejklr.blogspot.com) as well - as it's dead easy to update that straight from my iPhone, unlike posts on here which require a bit more thought, effort and the use of my Mac.

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Very neat , your a dam site better with a jigsaw than i will ever be.:clap:

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
well done mate.love tht mdf.keep in posted..sorry for yr loss of yr dad. hope it goes well with yr work as yr dad will be proud of u and yr work.

b.f.t.r.r.

p.s.make sure u need pvc seal on the mdf

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Looking excellent so far! I've been using jigsaws for years and still could never get the straight cuts you have there. I'm wanting to get a scroll saw so I can start making some of my own buildings too, but have been told we cannot afford that at the moment.
Very sorry to hear about your father passing, keep up the good work though, he will be very proud of you.

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Looks a good solid start James.

Sorry to hear about your Dad. Mine also had a great affinity with my hobbies, long ago now, but still there.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your Dad James.

I have a couple of Jackson's Buildings (Parker400 on this forum) which are also made of MDF.

Like you, I sealed and then painted with outdoor MDF primer before painting.

I used fibre glass car repair matting and resin on the roof, before covering with strips of shed roof felt, in a manner to look like tiles or slates. Mel (yb281) gave me this idea?

My buildings are on slabs, and I put 4 dome headed screws on the underside to act as feet, thus allowing air to circulate inside and damp to escape.

They've been out a few winters now and have stood the test of time....

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi thanks guys - your kind words are appreciated.

Gizzy - top tips there for the shed, thanks! Glad I'm not mad with the roofing felt/tar paper - I got the idea after seeing the PDF Models station building in the Feb 2011 issue of Garden Rail mag, which uses it to very good effect. I was planning on just two sections though, so it looks like a real tar paper'd roof - but will experiment when I pick some up from Wickes or the like.

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Real miniture slates can look ok

53e4bbbfd15f477f93423620e2b4e0f7.jpg

ceejaydee

Big Trains
29 Nov 2009
Far East of Bedfordshire
Best answers
I too am enjoying your little journey into G James.... I've been experiencing a small renaissance with the big stuff myself since the purchase of Percy set at Xmas and have picked up some tips and inspiration from your threads too.
Made me get my Piko BR80 out and run it after having it sat in the box for almost a year.
My plans for a large scale engine shed based on a scaled up Airfix/Dapol kit have yet to get past the sketch stage in G but did get dimensioned in 1:32; looking forward to seeing how yours comes along and may inspire me to dust my sketches down!

Sorry to hear about your Dad but whilst he remains in your thoughts and provides inspiration for your projects then he isn't too far away.

Probably have a nose at your blog now too.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
James, are you using regular MDF? I skimmed through your notes here and noted that you are taking pains to seal the material. Are you aware that MDF comes in an outdoor waterproof version known as Medex (tradename). there are other brands, but the brand names escape me at the moment.

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Dan yes thanks - for 'ease of supply' I got the regular stuff and have sealed it - I expect it's cheaper this way and we'll see how it lasts. I thought the 'waterproof' stuff actually was just impregnated with a sealant, and still broke down if exposed to lots of water - isn't it the stuff they use in wet rooms behind the plastic/tiles?

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
So long as you completely seal ordinary mdf, it should be OK. I'd suggest sealing it, painting it and varnishing it to make sure. The advantage of moisture-proof mdf is that if you don't seal it properly it will absorb water without "blowing" (expanding). One of my buildings soaked up 0.75kg (a wine bottle's worth) of water. I dried it out and it was fine. In fact I'm finding with my buildings that when there's a problem it's the adhesive holding the pieces together that fails rather than the material itself. Re-gluing the pieces makes the building sound again for another few years of service outside.
As a tip, Ian Sharples recommends using thinned glass fibre resin for sealing, and it certainly does seem to do the business.
Steve

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
That's an excellent job, I can't get me head around you cutting straight edges with a jig saw James

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your father James. Nice tribute to him on your blog.

Great start on your engine shed mate. Wonderfully neat jigsaw work.

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Chaps - again thanks for the kind words about my father.

Jig saws are a great bodgers tool - I've years of practice - used to make furniture with my Dad with one, as well as building two layouts and the baseboards with him! It's about getting a bold line drawn, a sharp blade that's the right type for the wood and having a steady hand, not going to slow or too fast - then it's fine. Anything over about half a metre though is difficult, as there will always be a little wander - but the longest cuts on the shed were 400mm so it's all pretty plum :)
Drying nicely now under a second coat of the primer/undercoat stuff.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Sorry about your Dad, I enjoy your contributions and only remember you talking about him in December.

Shed looks great- the worst threat for mdf will be like a real building damp from below. Maybe it needs some kind of plastic base to act as a DPC.

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
The steady hand is the problem and seeing one bold line...........If I stopped drinking would that help do you think.

Forgot to offer my condolences regarding you Dad

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
James, sorry to hear about your father, my mother passed away three years ago this week after years of illness like your father.

Looks like a good and stout start to a loco shed, keep the pictures coming, your projects thus far have been quite well done.

Phil

Trains, Just Trains.
25 Oct 2009
Oldham, Manchester.
Best answers
Country flag
Photos and Story on A 10-12 Stall Roundhouse with A working turntable on the way... :D

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Well a bit of progress to share - I'm over in Chester so have got all the LGB out on the carpet again!

First up - a check it all fits!!
609a760b931e48658c5ea3c9d0645665.jpg

I then have painted the walls with two coats (so far - I might lightly rub down before a third) with Sandtex 'Chalk' paint.
The floor was Sandtex 'Black' and 'Chalk' mixed to a custom dark grey - black looked too dark on it's own.
50365d25caee455eb3620cb63c55c920.jpg

29dd11a2036e4dc58167ee03af461a1a.jpg

The shunter is going to come back home with me as I'm going to add some handrails, windscreen wipers, remove the rivet detail from the cab and 'Davenport' from the bonnet side and respray. Currently I'm thinking a dull orange with black roof - lettered up for the EJ&KLR.