Stock Car

Blackreed

Dan Black
14 Aug 2019
Pennsylvania
Best answers
This is my first passenger car.
The trucks and the couplers are kadee, and these couplers again do not work with the lever that should unhook the cars. This is the last type of this style of couplers I have, I like the body mount gearbox, the metal horn runs up through the coupler.
The car is made of oak.
I learned what the Buffalo and Susquehanna logo looked like from a t-shirt I saw.
I could not decide to paint the nails or not, so the nails are painted on one side brass on the other.
I need to go and make the torsion rod bolts, and more track.396AD766-9CA9-4BA3-AB23-F36C04F9CE25.jpeg9F98502F-E2A7-48B2-AD37-9E63E44527E8.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Wow, nice work ! One question. It looks tall for G scale. It isn't 7/8s scale, is it ?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Has the aspect ratio of the image been 'tweaked' by something in the posting process?

Everything looks a little tall and thin, to my eye?? :think: :think:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
It's taller than the average G scale car I think - 6 step irons as opposed to five on the Bachmann 1:22.5 :nerd::nerd:

But it all depends on the prototype that is being used as a modelling basis :nod::nod:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I think it was Bertram Mills circus that had specially made elephant cars (for the weight) but elephants get very used to the rolling motion of a train, and when the carriages were taken into the sidings near Virginia Water, they continued to rock for a long time as the elephants carried on swaying :nod: :nod: :nod:

Blackreed

Dan Black
14 Aug 2019
Pennsylvania
Best answers
The car is measured as 1/24th scale, it’s actual scale height is 11 feet 6 inches. My original goal was to build a stock Car, from there, sometimes I get caught up in things, I read that a box car should be , 11 feet 6 inches, and a high cube would be 13 feet 6 inches, of course standard has a very unique meaning in the railroad world.
As I was thinking, it appeared to be tall, then I thought a horse is tall, then I thought it was going to be great with the water tank inside, once the water tank was built, I realized that with the bracing a 6 foot tall man would bang his head on the tank, so I abandoned the tank and watering system.
I also realized that not many of these cars would have been built out of wood.
So back to the drawing board on figuring out how to build a metal version.

It was great fun building, after enough thought I had wished it was a hog car, maybe a couple of models from here?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
The car is measured as 1/24th scale, it’s actual scale height is 11 feet 6 inches. My original goal was to build a stock Car, from there, sometimes I get caught up in things, I read that a box car should be , 11 feet 6 inches, and a high cube would be 13 feet 6 inches, of course standard has a very unique meaning in the railroad world.
As I was thinking, it appeared to be tall, then I thought a horse is tall, then I thought it was going to be great with the water tank inside, once the water tank was built, I realized that with the bracing a 6 foot tall man would bang his head on the tank, so I abandoned the tank and watering system.
I also realized that not many of these cars would have been built out of wood.
So back to the drawing board on figuring out how to build a metal version.

It was great fun building, after enough thought I had wished it was a hog car, maybe a couple of models from here?
Go, get a giraffe ;);)

Yep, 3'ft narrow gauge box cars are not very tall :shake::shake:

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Whatever your name is....you did nice work, but a little more research would help you get the height corrected. Also, your choice of that type of Kadee coupler is not the best choice. I would suggest the Kadee # 1906, or the larger #906. Their "Draft gear would have been more appropriate. The under-hung rods, (Part of the underframe) are called "Truss rods".
Keep up the good work...

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
You might also take a look at models of "Stock Cars/cattle cars", produced by LGB, and Bachmann, of Narrow Gauge equipment. The prototypes were built basically of wood, and there were many, many of them in service on the NG lines of North America. The models were produced in 1:22.5 scale. Please add your name, so we can address you, with proper respect.....you do nice work.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
It doesn't seem to be very wide. Perhaps only as wide as the LGB track. That along with it being tallish makes it look even taller. Very nice work though. :happy:

Jerry Barnes

Garden Railways, Live Steam, Jukeboxes, Record Col
27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
Looks pretty sturdy and well built. I did 3 from wood coffee stir sticks in 1/32 scale a long time ago. Ran them the other day. Need more weight in them, cows are not heavy enough!

Attachments

• IMG_1044.JPG
    IMG_1044.JPG
    355.4 KB · Views: 0

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
I ain`t bothered about it being too tall ,too narrow,or whatever,credit where credit is due its a cracking build and well done,if this is the first car you have attempted then lets have some more,hats off to anyone who can work in timber:clap::clap::clap::clap:;):cool:.