STEAM TRAMS : is there much interest for them on here?

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I don't have any steam tram models myself but I do like looking!;)

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
My kind of stuff! Love it!

Double traction with the RTM steam trams. Something I didn’t know till recently. It is very rare that two engines were used. The first engine is a Backer & Rueb, the second one a Werkspoor. After building my own model, I’m keen in spotting the tiny differences

C6F5FA60-10A8-43E4-8ED5-A189C5DB1E05.jpeg

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry I couldn’t resist. Here is No. 16 Backer & Rueb from the RTM, Rotterdam Netherlands.

AFBC7DC3-7B72-46FC-A71E-DE691FE18DA4.jpeg
This is a family picture. The driver and his family, handing over lunch. I’m not sure if this picture was staged or if this did happen now and then, but I really like it.
My favourite detail is the youngest daugther sitting on the buffer... I wonder if her mother knew the results beforehand...

D5FD0D44-0E99-4349-B05C-D76528032FEB.jpeg
My creation, with an old Stainz as donor for chassis and boiler.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
My kind of stuff! Love it!

Double traction with the RTM steam trams. Something I didn’t know till recently. It is very rare that two engines were used. The first engine is a Backer & Rueb, the second one a Werkspoor. After building my own model, I’m keen in spotting the tiny differences

View attachment 260239
Chances are with Double Heading that it may be to get a spare Engine back to home base thus saving Track Occupancy. The other possibility is that this consist may have been 1 Coach with Goods to one branch and 1 coach with goods to another. Branch combining at the Junction on return as perhaps a Peak extra.

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
I rather like steam trams, I have a 1:24 scale version of a Sydney tramways Baldwin steam tram motor and trailer.

View attachment 231814

The little Baldwins were remarkably versatile survivors, over their careers doing everything from high frequency tramway service on busy city streets, to hauling goods, timber and shunting heavy rail wagons. They were fast too, there's anecdotal accounts of Bondi expresses in the steam days reaching 80km/h. An 0-4-0 with tramway profile wheels must have been rather exciting at that speed!

Three survive today, two of which are operational.

View attachment 231815

Of the three, 1A is the only one not currently operational, though it has run in preservation and from what I understand would only need minor work to run again. Here it is on display at the Sydney tram museum, where it is currently on loan from the powerhouse museum. 1A was one of several motors built locally in Sydney by Henry Vale under license.

At some point it was converted to driver only operation, with duplicate controls on the right hand side of the boiler at each end, and the headlight moved up to roof level to provide better driver visibility.

View attachment 231816
By contrast no. 100 (now at the Auckland tram museum in NZ) still retains the original headlight position, and both sets of driving controls are on the same side of the boiler. 100 is fully restored and operational, but I always seem to visit when it's not running, hence the rather average picture!

In service the motors were fired on coke, which apparently meant the fire didn't need a whole lot of attention. The fireman usually stood on the front platform to make rude gestures at careless road users who got in the way.

As well as the Baldwins, Sydney trialed a few different UK made steam tram motors, one of which is mentioned earlier in this thread. They were not successful, generally being too small and light for the work required. Supposedly there was also a UK requirement that all motors made there be limited to a speed of 10mph, something that would have been very limiting in Sydney!

Victoria also had some steam tramways, though nowhere near as extensive as NSW. Melbourne had a huge and well developed cable tramway network from the 1880's, and the regional tramway systems typically went from horse traction straight to electric. The exception was Bendigo, which employed Baldwin motors similar to the NSW ones before electrification.

The difference between the quiet, clean and refined cable tramways in Melbourne and the whistling billowing smoke of the Sydney steam trams was said to be indicative of the difference in character of the two cities, a difference that persists to the present day!

There was another obscure operation in Victoria that was technically a steam tramway, though this one was 3'6"

View attachment 231817
The Sorrento tramway ran from the ferry wharf on Port Philip bay across to the back beach, employing little Baldwin 0-4-0's. They were generally similar to a proper steam tram motor, though without the duplicate controls and with a locomotive style cab. In this photo from around 1900 a tram trundles along Point Nepean road past the pub in Sorrento, on the way to the back beach. Sorrento was just as much of a tourist town then as it is now, more than once I've thought about the tramway on the longish walk from the ferry to the beach, 100 years after it closed.
Out of interest did anyone ever produce a kit or ready to steam model of this steam tram?

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag
Out of interest did anyone ever produce a kit or ready to steam model of this steam tram?

Argyle loco works has had a 1:32 live steam version in development for a while, Page hasn't been updated for a few years though, not sure if it is still making progress.

The Sydney steam trams have been popular subjects for scratch builders (including me) so you see a fair few out there, especially in large scale.

This person has modelled a lot of Sydney tramways steam era rollingstock for 3D printing, and has kindly made the files availible for download:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
0 Gauge admittedly, but if you like steam Trams this Rapido will be a lovely model.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Another one found today, this interesting site has LED lighting as well but the Dutch Steam Tram is an interesting new product. But at that price I would expect it to be G scale, ouch.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Another one found today, this interesting site has LED lighting as well but the Dutch Steam Tram is an interesting new product. But at that price I would expect it to be G scale, ouch.
Geese oh, your not wrong about the price, quite a bit for a H0 model.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
0 Gauge admittedly, but if you like steam Trams this Rapido will be a lovely model.
Your a bad man making me aware of temptation like that, a bad man indeed.
Hobby money has been ring fenced for projects and I am not going to get a J70.
Note to self, you are not going to get a J70 .......

Last edited:

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Tour a bad man making me aware of temptation like that, a bad man indeed.
What does EOI mean?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Tour a bad man making me aware of temptation like that, a bad man indeed.
So, have you ordered one yet?
;):giggle::giggle::giggle:

PhilP

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
So, have you ordered one yet?
;):giggle::giggle::giggle:

PhilP
Naw
Just naw
Go away you bad man, I'm not listening to you.
Monkey hear no evil

This talk of steam trams has already seen me buy a set of cylinders around which to build a steam tram
Man facepalming
Bowing