Starting again

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Our newest city of Southend-on-sea is absolutely miles from London ............................. well, in UK terms it is; it's about 42 miles

In Canadian terms, it's next door
Yes but not necessarily me. When I worked it was a 5 minute bicycle ride... Now I hang out in a big park on the bay 5 minutes the other way. I can drive to Niagara falls ...around 200 miles with only 4 traffic lights 2 stop signs and going 120 km hr 98 percent if the way. Cool eh ... In our winters minus 15 c is still a normal temp.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
When I was working we had offices in Harrogate, Sheffield, Newcastle and Manchester (three in various parts of the last), plus schools across the north of England. For any journey, the average speed came out at about 40mph.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I looked up where you are... Would it be fare to say that a quarter of G scale railways are in the London Area? I did notice small year round palm trees on my visit. Are your winters warm enough to enjoy G scale year round? I am much closer to the equator but winters are way too cold to be outside railroading during winter.

Due to the combination of a 'freak of nature' Ocean current and odd local topography, the Gardens at Inverewe in the far north of Scotland also have year-round palm trees....

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yes but not necessarily me. When I worked it was a 5 minute bicycle ride... Now I hang out in a big park on the bay 5 minutes the other way. I can drive to Niagara falls ...around 200 miles with only 4 traffic lights 2 stop signs and going 120 km hr 98 percent if the way. Cool eh ... In our winters minus 15 c is still a normal temp.

Last time we drove from Horseshoe Bay BC to our home in SE Ontario we never went through a highway tunnel of any kind. Travelling by train from Tronna to Vancouver you don't hit any tunnels at all until you arrive in BC...

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Due to the combination of a 'freak of nature' Ocean current and odd local topography, the Gardens at Inverewe in the far north of Scotland also have year-round palm trees....
The Gulf Stream, yes sub-tropical trees just like the Devon riviera and the Isles of Scilly.

That same Gulf Stream that ensures that we Brits always talk about the weather ;);)

Some scientists hold that the first true indication of global warming will be an ice-age in Britain and similar places when the Gulf Stream stops :mask:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The Gulf Stream, yes sub-tropical trees just like the Devon riviera and the Isles of Scilly.

That same Gulf Stream that ensures that we Brits always talk about the weather ;);)

Some scientists hold that the first true indication of global warming will be an ice-age in Britain and similar places when the Gulf Stream stops :mask:
Not looking forward to that, though more snow would be nice I guess. Could then take up cross country skiing. Always looks like good fun. A local friend of mine’s grandfather skated from St.Neots all the way to I think March many moons ago, quite a distance and you would have needed god strong ice all the way. The river in the nits never yet frozen over since I moved here and been involved with the place going back to 2004.

Rod Fearnley

Santa Fe and Burlington Northern at amalgamation
29 Oct 2009
Mid Norfolk
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Got a place with 30 by 30 rear garden. Small but possibly a blank canvas. Got a corner shed that is fixed and shared with next door.
Two trees one each side and earth/grass. Apart from concrete the whole space any fresh ideas anyone?
Jim
I would keep close to the outside edges all the way round on a raised road bed. Believe me, as you get older, raised is best. Mine is raised on the square plastic drain pipe with scrap plastic facia board run through a table saw and made ladder like. All fixed together with plasterboard screws.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    911.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
I would keep close to the outside edges all the way round on a raised road bed.
Thank you Rod - after a whole page of off-topic irrelevance.

My take would be similar to Jon's:
in my garden at Hemel roughly the same size I rejected the conventional round the complete garden and went for a two level dogbone
A dog bone return loop in adjacent or opposite corners and a single (or double) track linking the two will give you access to the center of the garden area.
Kevin Strong's garden is about that size, and if you have seen the photos he posts (or the 2021 Garden Railway Annual) it is a delightful layout:
https://www.trains.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/tuscarora_railroad.pdf

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Rod Fearnley

Santa Fe and Burlington Northern at amalgamation
29 Oct 2009
Mid Norfolk
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you Rod - after a whole page of off-topic irrelevance.

My take would be similar to Jon's:

A dog bone return loop in adjacent or opposite corners and a single (or double) track linking the two will give you access to the center of the garden area.
Kevin Strong's garden is about that size, and if you have seen the photos he posts (or the 2021 Garden Railway Annual) it is a delightful layout:
https://www.trains.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/tuscarora_railroad.pdf

View attachment 296129
Yes, Jon’s work well too. On my last GR I had to make an eighteen foot bridge with a section that would raise across the front of the patio. So Jon’s would do away with the need for a bridge.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
after a whole page of off-topic irrelevance.
I mean, seriously, guys? I'll bet the original post-er (OP) didn't have the patience to wade through all that.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
I thought the location of England's newest city was fairly relevant
I would love to hear how this is relevant to a request for ideas for a 30'x30' garden railway. >:)
:rofl:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I would love to hear how this is relevant to a request for ideas for a 30'x30' garden railway. >:)
This forum is well known for its wanderings and musings in subject threads.

I also belong to a forum for a particular make of classic car. You can get good help, fairly precise information, and the benefit of member's expertise, but otherwise it's incredibly boring.

This forum is rarely boring, and anyone with half an ounce of intelligence can scan the comments that they do not wish to read in depth, and move on to the stuff that they find more interesting - it's a free world.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Because it resulted from the question as to where the garden was. It's always useful to know, at least approximately, the geographical location of a member. For example, if a member in the USA is looking for a particular low cost item and you have it and live in the UK, you know that there's no point offering the item because of the cost of shipping to the US. An exact location can be useful as regards meeting up to discus matters or trade items or see ideas in operation.

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Yes I agree. I always like to see where others are from. I belong to a Houston based coral reef aquarium club. My last post was about the end of the world as we know it. People down younder think they are a target. I think Sarnia and the real London would be targets as well.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
But, as always, we got there in the end with some great suggestions.

Edgar

Registered
13 May 2020
Tennessee
Best answers
Country flag
I usually find interest in the weather commentary, benign opinions on social issues, the price of tea in... a temporary view outside my cloistered existence.