Starting again

Nordmij

Registered
12 Apr 2016
SS07PW
Best answers
Country flag
Got a place with 30 by 30 rear garden. Small but possibly a blank canvas. Got a corner shed that is fixed and shared with next door.
Two trees one each side and earth/grass. Apart from concrete the whole space any fresh ideas anyone?
Jim

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi 30 X 30 inches, feet, mm, metres, go on give us a clue ;)

Nordmij

Registered
12 Apr 2016
SS07PW
Best answers
Country flag
Good point yes feet.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I have tendency to try and run a line around the whole garden but, for both of the garden railways that I've built, I've sorted the garden first, then introduced the railway.

What has made both lines interesting, and different in the approach, has been the need to minimise gradients, and thus the railway hasn't directly followed the slope of the garden in each case.

This provides for interest both in the railway and the garden.

Do you want a railway in your garden, or a garden in your railway ? :nerd::nerd:

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Don't concrete it over! :)

You say (in the title) you are starting again. What did you have before and what was right and/or wrong with it?

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Got a place with 30 by 30 rear garden. Small but possibly a blank canvas. Got a corner shed that is fixed and shared with next door.
Two trees one each side and earth/grass. Apart from concrete the whole space any fresh ideas anyone?
Jim
I got the rake out today too. Raked smooth a general outline of where I would like my garden railway to go. Basicly meander around evergreens ..patio and one of my 2 small fish ponds. I typed in where you are from... Are you in Poland?

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
I got the rake out today too. Raked smooth a general outline of where I would like my garden railway to go. Basicly meander around evergreens ..patio and one of my 2 small fish ponds. I typed in where you are from... Are you in Poland?
I think you will find it is Southend on Sea

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
in my garden at Hemel roughly the same size I rejected the conventional round the complete garden and went for a two level dogbone. I did do a shed in the middle and ran to a shed on the side to give me a fairly operatable railway with 2 termini. The plan below gives you an idea, the curves at the extremities of the dogbone were originally LGB R1, but got changed to R2 when I got an LGB 2-10-2. Most of the other curves were around 4ft to match the mostly Peco track and points. But the track at the terminus in the shed left was LGB R1 on the curve then R3 in the station.
F380DBEC-A285-421E-A080-14BE244698F6.png

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I think you will find it is Southend on Sea
In the days of Lech Walesa when Poland was starting to throw off Communism through civil disobedience and industrial action, I was puzzled for some time by news reports on the radio referring to Lech Walesa addressing striking tram drivers in Walsall. It finally dawned on me it was Warsaw.

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
with a space like that, I’d say stick to the edges, of the garden, with lots of meandering curves, using flextrack of Lgb r5 curves.

maybe a also a corner station using some of pikos curved points.

incorporte the fish ponds, with a bridge over or the track going around them

Dan

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
In the days of Lech Walesa when Poland was starting to throw off Communism through civil disobedience and industrial action, I was puzzled for some time by news reports on the radio referring to Lech Walesa addressing striking tram drivers in Walsall. It finally dawned on me it was Warsaw.
Yeah, I've noticed that my flag now has me back in the UK, although for a while I was, allegedly, in the Irish Republic.

The flags are still a little bit unreliable - I think it relies on your server hosting arrangements, although I didn't knowingly go with an Irish company, and nothing has happened that would change the arrangements since we cast adrift from the European mothership :think::think:

However, Walsall is probably pretty close to Warswaw - I mean, it's further north than Norfolk :emo::emo::emo:

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
However, Walsall is probably pretty close to Warswaw - I mean, it's further north than Norfolk :emo::emo::emo:
It would seem Norwich is more northerly than Walsall:

Walsall is 52°35'7.01"N

Norwich is 52°37'40.19

o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
It would seem Norwich is more northerly than Walsall:

Walsall is 52°35'7.01"N

Norwich is 52°37'40.19

o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O
Who moved Walsall ? :p:p:p:p:p:p

I never realised how far north I moved :mask::mask::mask:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Who moved Walsall ? :p:p:p:p:p:p

I never realised how far north I moved :mask::mask::mask:
I suppose you are one of 'those people'?

Who think, everything north of 'The Gap', is the same..
:D:D:D

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I suppose you are one of 'those people'?

Who think, everything north of 'The Gap', is the same..
:D:D:D
What DO you mean, of course it is

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
I looked up where you are... Would it be fare to say that a quarter of G scale railways are in the London Area? I did notice small year round palm trees on my visit. Are your winters warm enough to enjoy G scale year round? I am much closer to the equator but winters are way too cold to be outside railroading during winter.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I looked up where you are... Would it be fare to say that a quarter of G scale railways are in the London Area? I did notice small year round palm trees on my visit. Are your winters warm enough to enjoy G scale year round? I am much closer to the equator but winters are way too cold to be outside railroading during winter.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Our newest city of Southend-on-sea is absolutely miles from London ............................. well, in UK terms it is; it's about 42 miles

In Canadian terms, it's next door

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I suppose, compared to the USA, every g scale railway in the UK, is 'around London'? ;):giggle:

I have driven 2-3 hours, to visit some shows, here in the UK..
I am guessing, there are people who fly 2-3 hours for shows in the US?

All down to your perception of time, distance, and travelling around your country..

This coming weekend, we are thinking of travelling up to Leeds on Saturday, then to the south of the Midlands on Sunday..
Possibly, twice as much travelling time, as viewing trains?