Stainz battery conversion

Peter Michalak

Registered
27 Nov 2015
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
This is a bit of a shout-out, and a thank you to Rik for his fantastic guides on the Pekforton Light Railway Blog.

Following these guides, this noob (who is used to wiring HO scale dcc decoders and knows nothing about RC/battery power), not only built a rechargeable li-po pack, but also converted an early Stainz (clamshell motor block) to battery power, with a PWM motor controller rather than RC setup.

I'll admit I was a bit very out of my comfort zone, but having completed one, the second loco is looking promising!

Thanks again and Merry Christmas to all.

Pete

Reactions: 3 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
This is a bit of a shout-out, and a thank you to Rik for his fantastic guides on the Pekforton Light Railway Blog.

Following these guides, this noob (who is used to wiring HO scale dcc decoders and knows nothing about RC/battery power), not only built a rechargeable li-po pack, but also converted an early Stainz (clamshell motor block) to battery power, with a PWM motor controller rather than RC setup.

I'll admit I was a bit very out of my comfort zone, but having completed one, the second loco is looking promising!

Thanks again and Merry Christmas to all.

Pete
I think with a good rated DCC Decoder and some of the DCC RC systems around a Sound DCC Stainz ougt to be entirely possible. Welcome to the new dark art Battery or Dead Rail Systems to our friends over the pond.

Peter Michalak

Registered
27 Nov 2015
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
Agreed, though for my garden railway, I want to keep things simple - as the garden line is primarily used during summer when I have friends over for BBQ's etc. My line isn't really big enough to suit DCC running - had the long-planned extension gone ahead, perhaps I may have looked at dead-rail DCC more seriously.

RC for my live steam Ruby is the next 'big ticket' project - I do however have a severely damaged (after it took a dive off a three-foot high retaining wall onto concrete) LGB Schoema diesel that will be the next battery conversion and heavy rebuild.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Agreed, though for my garden railway, I want to keep things simple - as the garden line is primarily used during summer when I have friends over for BBQ's etc. My line isn't really big enough to suit DCC running - had the long-planned extension gone ahead, perhaps I may have looked at dead-rail DCC more seriously.

RC for my live steam Ruby is the next 'big ticket' project - I do however have a severely damaged (after it took a dive off a three-foot high retaining wall onto concrete) LGB Schoema diesel that will be the next battery conversion and heavy rebuild.

I have done R/C for a Ruby if you need some help

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks GAP... will be in contact in the new year!

I wrote an article for a US magazine about the R/C conversion the RUBY I have had a throttle shaft that was to short to fit the servo in its correct position and a friend made an adapter for it. I'll see if I can dig it out.
I have a build log for the conversion as well.

Reactions: 1 user