Spa Bahn

Adam1989

Registered
11 Mar 2018
Calne wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Still working on the construction, I need to get some topsoil to fill in the sinking clay the winter weather will help with sorting out compacting and levelling the soil. And I am thinking of laying the track on breeze blocks.
I used thermalite blocks to lay my track on, you can cut them with a hand saw so makes it much easier to shape for corners. And just screwed the track straight into them no need to use wall plugs.

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Yes i am looking for some smoth thermolite blocks, i looked in B&Q they wern't smoth and they were £1.60 each so further research is needed i think.

Adam1989

Registered
11 Mar 2018
Calne wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Yes i am looking for some smoth thermolite blocks, i looked in B&Q they wern't smoth and they were £1.60 each so further research is needed i think.
No my ones were not Smooth but they are sunk in the group so they can not be seen. I got them delivered by Travis Perkins.

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Just got caught up on this one. Awesome work. Looks amazing... Following along...

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Thermalite/Celcon, call them what you want, are in short supply. They are made using ash from power stations and this is getting harder to find as coal is phased out. Grab what you can.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
They don't come smooth, the finish helps bonding, however if you wish to smooth them off its quite simple to hand work.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Thermalite/Celcon, call them what you want, are in short supply. They are made using ash from power stations and this is getting harder to find as coal is phased out. Grab what you can.
So that's why ash is being imported from the Netherlands into Shoreham.... :wondering:

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
After Hibernating for the winter i finally got the railway shed delivered and put in place so here’s hoping for progress this spring and to finally get something running after 3 years.

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Well i have made a small amoutn of progress over the summer. I have been distracted by othere jobs around the house etc Hopefully getting a bit of focus back after a few Garden Visits and a lovely chat with Mike at Leominster.
1571826225281.png

Reactions: 1 user

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Anybody know what glue is best for Pola Buildings? as we know there adhesive is ok for kit take apart with a good knock.
Don't forget to clean the paint from the surfaces to be glued! UHU or any styrene solvent type cement works just fine when the paint is scrapped and you're actually glueing plastic to plastic.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 241111

I have started digging for the pond (have to have an excuse for the bridge) but as one would expect the clay is like concrete at the moment so pickaxe bit by bit. The other addition is i have boarded over the left side back of the area as i want to install the engine shed and turntable there and try and put a smoke machine under it, watch this space.
View attachment 241112

I have also started unpacking my buildings.......lol this was a signal station. Anybody know what glue is best for Pola Buildings? as we know there adhesive is ok for kit take apart with a good knock.
UHU Power is as good as I have found for outside use. Further Bonding the Joints with Silicone Dhesive on the inside and for certainty I Drill small holes pushing in small long approx .5mm Pins. Ok they rust but with a little Super Glue on the pointed bit and grease in the ends they work very well.

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Yes i have managed to. Scrape the old glue and paint off the joints and glued most back together. I have unfortunately some broken bits i may have to remake or get replacements from Pola.

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
DSCF1334.jpg

Re assembled Brewery and signal box, lovely day today compaired to the rain yesterday.

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
DSCF1361.jpgDSCF1362.jpg

The Brewery has started Production so the first wagons have arrived to check clearences etc.

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Hi along time since i posted anything life has been going on in lockdown. I have made some progress on track layout and getting analog trains going first to check track continuity etc. It is very windy today so after the signal blew over and disintegrated i took all the building in for safety. I had some water fall sections delivered earlier in the week so i am going to try and attach a short video of there initial positioning.
I wa going to attach a short video but cant see how to so will do a photo tomorrow. .

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi along time since i posted anything life has been going on in lockdown. I have made some progress on track layout and getting analog trains going first to check track continuity etc. It is very windy today so after the signal blew over and disintegrated i took all the building in for safety. I had some water fall sections delivered earlier in the week so i am going to try and attach a short video of there initial positioning.
I wa going to attach a short video but cant see how to so will do a photo tomorrow. .
Best for vids is to put it on Youtube then copy the YT link to a post. That is how I do all of mine as below, though this one has the link copied into my signature line.

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the reply, always helpful guys&Galls on here. I Will have. a go when i sort out how to post on Youtube lol

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Such a sunny day today,

Attachments

• 8163AEFF-788E-44A7-A4A0-9764885FE153.jpeg
    8163AEFF-788E-44A7-A4A0-9764885FE153.jpeg
    508 KB · Views: 0
  • 5FE5C20F-8515-4719-B477-827DF086E8F6.jpeg