Slightly duff universal remote

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Any ideas / suggestions?

My Universal Remote won't turn on when on battery/wireless. I press the F button and it lights up while holding the button down but won't stay on when I release the button. I've tried new batteries but no success. If I remove the wireless transmitter and insert the wired connector it works fine. I just can't seem to be able to use it wirelessly.

Anyone had a similar problem and, more importantly, solved it?

Rik

PS - Narrowed it down to the wireless transmitter. If I insert the transmitter from my loco remote it works fine and if I insert the transmitter from the universal remote into the loco remote - no joy.

Can these transmitters be repaired? If not has anyone got a spare which they can let me have for a modest sum? (It's parallel btw)

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
If it's the transmitter plug in insert for the Remote, it might be worth disassembly and looking for loose connections or dry joints on the pcb inside and making them good....

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
If it's the transmitter plug in insert for the Remote, it might be worth disassembly and looking for loose connections or dry joints on the pcb inside and making them good....

OK disassembled and close inspection suggests some of the joints have had a nasty attack of fungus

60142389e4474692be0a50f59330e29f.jpg

Not sure quite how to deal with them as the connections are microscopic.

Rik

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Hmm I wouldn't like to try to resolder those in fact I doubt that I would be able to see them!
I would have thought that Massoth could repair or replace the unit rather than a total replacement.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Massoth offer a repair service normal repair costs are 1 Euro per minute of engineers time and shipping + vat @ 19%.

Had several Central Stations, handsets and a switch decoder repaired recently.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Try cleaning the fungus off with a tooth brush it may work after.......................................

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Hmmmm......... I keep all my MTS gear in an unheated porch. I think from now on I'll bring it inside for the winter months. I'm assuming that that fungal type corrosion is related to humidity. I remember some previous discussions on the forum about the susceptibility of MTS equipment to damp/cold conditions.

Rik

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
ge_rik said:
Hmmmm......... I keep all my MTS gear in an unheated porch. I think from now on I'll bring it inside for the winter months. I'm assuming that that fungal type corrosion is related to humidity.

Yep - fungus=moisture. Even a minimal amount of warmth will prevent moisture. A transformer worked well for me!

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Worth resoldering those joints Rik?

If you want, you can post it to me and I'll do it at work in our electronics workshop....

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
If you want, you can post it to me and I'll do it at work in our electronics workshop....

Yes please Gizzy - I know my eyesight, soldering iron and expertise are not up to the job so if you could do it for me I'd be really grateful.

Can you PM me your address?

Rik

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
ge_rik said:
Gizzy said:

Yes please Gizzy - I know my eyesight, soldering iron and expertise are not up to the job so if you could do it for me I'd be really grateful.

Can you PM me your address?

Rik

PM sent as requested....

frankando12

Registered
15 Jul 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Rik.
I haven't used my LGB Remote for a while . But I think when I use mine I have to press the F key and then the O key to turn my one on and off . I will try it when I get it out , had my system changed to the new Piko Remote, but the new Receiver unit has had a problem and I have not received a new one from the State's yet.
Frank

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Well I received Rik's transmitter pcb at work today, and I've given the dodgy looking joints a tickle using a very fine bit on my soldering iron, and the workshop magnifier.

I will try and test it on my own system tomorrow morning if I get a chance, although the weather forecast over the next few days looks to be very wet....

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I tested Rik's 55050 RC Sender this morning, but I still get the same fault as he originally had.

Doesn't look like the iffy solder joints are the problem here.

Perhaps Muns can help from here on....

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I doubt it......best thing for it would be a little trip to Germany.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks to Gizzy for trying. I certainly wouldn't have had the skills or the gear to do that myself.I might try sending it to Glendale Jct if they feel it's worth trying.

Rik