Single loop to double return loop

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Looking to change from a Single loop to double return loop. Is this right, or any other suggestions welcome.

loop33.JPG

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
So anything travelling down the L/H track returns to the L/H, and the same for the R/H track, before travelling down one track, returned via the other track, but no more, is that what you want.

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
So anything travelling down the L/H track returns to the L/H, and the same for the R/H track, before travelling down one track, returned via the other track, but no more, is that what you want.
Yes, correct. Rather than one track with a single loop i will get two tracks with 2 return loops. Should give a little more traffic room. "With some care"

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Presumably the other end of your line would have a similar track configuration ? Or, if I think about it, are you planning one of the loops as a storage track ?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
If I remember correctly, you're planning on running battery power, so there would be no problems. I reckon it looks quite interesting and, in the flesh, with some appropriate curves (no pun intended) should provide some visual interest (oh dear, it gets worse :giggle::giggle: ).

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Looks really interesting..
How stiff is your pipe? :blush:
Can't wait to see something battery remote controlled buzzing round!
:giggle:

PhilP

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Looks really interesting..
How stiff is your pipe? :blush:
Can't wait to see something battery remote controlled buzzing round!
:giggle:

PhilP
There's a metaphor lol. But, I'm waiting for it to warm up a bit as my 2"pipe is a little stiff in this cooler weather. But the 2" pipe came in a coil that was in-between an R3 & R5 bend, so this has helped. I do have some R1 turn offs, but only in siding & stations so dont need the tube. But at worst i will gently treat it to my blow torch.
My first train wont be until around August & building a slow/fast low level / centre of gravity one so i can have a good test. Should go well on the R5 bends.

bend1.jpg
bend2.jpg

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
This does look pretty bomb-proof (barring Vlad the Invader).

I will be interested in how it fairs if we eventually get some hot weather?

I am thinking of trying some of these, inverted, possible sitting on a thermalite block?

PhilP.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
This does look pretty bomb-proof (barring Vlad the Invader).

I will be interested in how it fairs if we eventually get some hot weather?

I am thinking of trying some of these, inverted, possible sitting on a thermalite block?

PhilP.
It'll be interesting to find out how the sun affects them

Reactions: 1 user

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
It'll be interesting to find out how the sun affects them
They certainly look cost look cost effective. Might be worth dropping them a line as i believe its an additive they put in the plastic to make it UV protected & might not be needed in lofts. But always nice to see alternatives & thinking of different ideas to steer our thinking down other paths. What is it they say? Necessity is the mother of invention. ;)

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I doubt they will be UV protected, and they are quite short.

I am thinking they will mainly be in shade, under the layout, and after a season (to get rid of release agent, and key the surface) a blast with a rattle-can, would provide additional protection.

They would probably last as long as a first iteration of most railways?

A main reason for looking at these, is access. - Everything has to be man-handled down a pedestrian cul-de-sac. Unfortunately, we do not have vehicle access to the property.

PhilP

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Black plastic is the first step in UV protection, since the black is not a dye, but carbon... so the sun cannot penetrate very deeply (try a clear plastic box outdoors!)

There are many sprays (303 protectant, Armorall) that have UV protection, note that human sunscreen works with a thin layer.

I have Armorall in a garden sprayer, and every 6 months I renew my Aristo track. Black as the day I bought it.

There are always possibilities... you could double stack those thingies, but I'm guessing that overall they would not be cost effective...

greg

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
There are always possibilities... you could double stack those thingies, but I'm guessing that overall they would not be cost effective...
The biggest problem in the UK, is timber in the garden..
So these will avoid the rot at ground-level.
Timber is fast-growing, kiln-dried, not well treated (even pressure treated does not last). So masonry, or plastics can be viable.

Or friends scaffold poles, have enough wall-thickness, that they should last a good few years..

It all depends on what you are happy working with, aesthetics, and budget.

PhilP