Semi Scratch Water Car build

Thomas Lambo

RC, wood craftsmanship & culinary arts
7 Aug 2016
Southern California
Best answers
While I move forward with my Garden Railroad construction project I decided to start my first series of semi-scratch RR Car builds. Push come to shove, I used 1:24 scale (half inch = 1 foot) as my guideline....but I often size things to what looks best to my eye :)

This is the first in a set of four utility cars I plan to build. My inspiration for this car came from an article in Garden Railways Magazine (August 2016 edition, “How to make Wooden Vats” by Jim Typrowicz).

To simplify the construction of the build I used a few stock Bachmann parts; frame, trucks and metal wheels and couplers. In addition, I used many Ozark miniture parts to enhance the detail.

Note: I have now replaced the Bachmann couplers with G Scale Kadee 909 knuckle couplers.

Everything else is scratch built using the following materials:

Boxwood and Walnut sheets of various thicknesses, 3 inch PVC pipe, brass strips, RC model airplane push rods, and an assortment of Ozark miniature cast parts.

Several different color washes and stains were used on the wood and Bachmann parts, as well as Doc O'Brien’s weathering powders to add further detail. I also used a product to black the metal parts called JAX Pewter Black. This stuff is by far the best blacking agent I’ve found for metal and brass…coming from my model wooden ship background.

Most of the work on this build was done with hand tools. However, I did use my table saw to cut most of the wooden parts/strips from sheets, and my mini drill press for some precision drilling. I also used a soldering iron to attach the brass bands together for the barrels.

Total time to build this “Intermediate” level project was about 50 hours. Here are a few pictures of the build....I still need to add lettering on the side of the car and clean up a few details, etc.

IMG_0358.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG IMG_0351.JPG IMG_0313.JPG IMG_0316.JPG IMG_0342.JPG IMG_0331.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
While I move forward with my rather ambitious Garden Railroad construction project I decided to start my first series of semi-scratch RR Car builds.

This is the first in a set of four utility cars I plan to build. My inspiration for this car came from an article in Garden Railways Magazine (August 2016 edition, “How to make Wooden Vats” by Jim Typrowicz).

To simplify the construction of the build I used a few stock Bachmann parts; frame, trucks, metal wheels and couplers.

Everything else is scratch built using the following materials:

Boxwood and Walnut sheets of various thicknesses, 3 inch PVC pipe, brass strips, RC model airplane push rods, and an assortment of Ozark miniature cast parts.

Several different color washes and stains were used on the wood and Bachmann parts, as well as Doc O'Brien’s weathering powders to add further detail. I also used a product to black the metal parts called JAX Pewter Black. This stuff is by far the best blacking agent I’ve found for metal and brass…coming from my model wooden ship background.

Most of the work on this build was done with hand tools (X-acto knife, razor saws, jewelers files, sand paper, vice drills, digital caliper, etc). However, I did use my Byrnes table saw to cut most of the wooden parts/strips from sheets, and my Proxxon drill press for some precision drilling. I also used my soldering iron to solder the brass bands together for the barrels.

Total time to build this “Intermediate” level project was about 50 hours. Here are a few pictures of the build....I still need to add lettering on the side of the car.

View attachment 224000

View attachment 223992 View attachment 223993 View attachment 223994 View attachment 223995 View attachment 223996 View attachment 223997

Love those vats! Did you use a former to construct them around?

Thomas Lambo

7 Aug 2016
Southern California
Best answers
Love those vats! Did you use a former to construct them around?

Thank you, and yes, a piece of 3 inch PVC cut to length provides the form. Then you simply glue the strips to the outside being very careful to get the first strip perfectly level (vertically). Also, I slightly beveled the edges of the planks to get a tighter edge fit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks you, and yes, a piece of 3 inch PVC cut to length provides the form. Then you simply glue the strips to the outside being very careful to get the first strip perfectly level (vertically).

Thanks. They really look superb.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Are you really sure that's water in there ?? :cool::cool::cool:

Reactions: 1 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
OK, can you give us a clue regarding the timber sizes for the wagon beams and the decking, please?

Thomas Lambo

7 Aug 2016
Southern California
Best answers
OK, can you give us a clue regarding the timber sizes for the wagon beams and the decking, please?

Wagon/Flatcar:

Beams (outside frame) are; 6mm x 10mm cut to length.

Decking strips are; 2mm x 10mm cut to length.

Barrel and support braces:

Barrel and trap door strips are; 2mm x 7mm cut to length.

Bracing beams (on top of the barrels) are; 6mm x 6mm cut to length.

Brass barrel hoops (strips) are; .783mm x 3.18mm cut to length, then clamped and soldered.

Last edited:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Wagon/Flatcar:

Beams (outside frame) are; 6mm x 10mm cut to length.

Decking strips are; 2mm x 10mm cut to length.

Barrel and support braces:

Barrel and trap door strips are; 2mm x 7mm cut to length.

Bracing beams (on top of the barrels) are; 6mm x 6mm cut to length.

Brass barrel hoops (strips) are; .783mm x 3.18mm cut to length.
Ah - many thanks

I have a plan for a flat car / water cart, I have a frame, I have bogies, but I'll need to build the flat, and find a tank - still in the thinking stage :think::think::think::think:

Thomas Lambo

7 Aug 2016
Southern California
Best answers
Ah - many thanks

I have a plan for a flat car / water cart, I have a frame, I have bogies, but I'll need to build the flat, and find a tank - still in the thinking stage :think::think::think::think:

Your welcome and good luck....love to see the final product.

As a side note; For my first set of cars, I built all four Flat Beds at once (saves time). Now I'm completing the details for each one...next up is a Tool Caboose Car, then a Crane Car, and a Equipment/Freight Car.

If you haven't already, check out Sierra Valley Enterprises, I got several design ideas from their excellent products.
Link: http://www.sierravalleyenterprises.com/munger_mining.html

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Your welcome and good luck....love to see the final product.

As a side note; For my first set of cars, I built all four Flat Beds at once (saves time). Now I'm completing the details for each one...next up is a Crane Car, then a Supply Car, and then a half Caboose and half Work Bench car.

If you haven't already, check out Sierra Valley Enterprises, I got several design ideas from their excellent products.
Link: http://www.sierravalleyenterprises.com/munger_mining.html
GREAT LINK;)

Last edited:

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Catching up with older threads,,,,,,,,,,,EXCELLENT BUILD,don`t see many of the old style tank cars,very interesting and thanks for posting;);)

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Any ideas where we can get scale timber in uk?seems regular items stateside but rare here?(UK)

Last edited:

Thomas Lambo

7 Aug 2016
Southern California
Best answers
Any ideas where we can get scale timber in uk?seems regular items stateside but rare here?(UK)

Thanks for the positive feedback, I really appreciate it.

I've used these guys with good results. They carry a wide variety of wood types and sizes of strips and sheets (close to G Scale on the wider strips). I tend to like hard wood so Walnut would be a good choice for this type of project. I used Boxwood and Walnut for my build. I usually cut my own strips from sheets, this way you can hit whatever scale size you want.

Although truth be known, I tend to cut wood to a size that looks good to my eye as opposed to perfect scale :)

The Model Dockyard: http://www.model-dockyard.com/acatalog/Timber.html

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the positive feedback, I really appreciate it.

I've used these guys with good results. They carry a wide variety of wood types and sizes of strips and sheets (close to G Scale on the wider strips). I tend to like hard wood so Walnut would be a good choice for this type of project. I used Boxwood and Walnut for my build. I usually cut my own strips from sheets, this way you can hit whatever scale size you want.

Although truth be known, I tend to cut wood to a size that looks good to my eye as opposed to perfect scale :)

The Model Dockyard: http://www.model-dockyard.com/acatalog/Timber.html
Thanks Thomas,,,,,I have used them in the past for boat bits albeit some time ago,but just did`nt think of them,great idea and will check them out,thanks again. Rio.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Dont know what Cornwall Model Boats may have - but worth an ask.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
As Alan says, look at Cornwall Model Boats website - they give a very good service :nod::nod:

Kurt Ubl

KURT
3 Mar 2017
Tenerife ES
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Thomas, well done, there are carpenters who are glad to saw the nessesary woods, believe me, times ago I got 100 meters in different batches at a very low price asking is the goal and there are different kinds of wood you can choose.
Kurt
This was one of the first models I build and sold to somebody I dont know at the time, foud it on evilbay, but all wood was from a carpenter friend

Attachments

• K-UBL-Modelle-Spur-G-Amerikanischer-Silowagen.jpg
    K-UBL-Modelle-Spur-G-Amerikanischer-Silowagen.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: