Rusting Hammerstein haltpunkte.

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
' the Casey Treatment. How I do it is to squeese and tease Wire Wool to remove small bits of the wool onto pre sprayed with vinegar Corrugated Iron Plastic.'

Hi. I have just purchased the above kit but wish to take off the very clean look by using the above treatment. I'm not too sure from the above wording how this was achieved with regard to getting the rust effect on to the kit surface.
Help please.
Trevor

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
You paint some vinegar onto the plastic, then tease or squeeze the wire wool small pieces fall off onto the vinegar. Then to complete the job spray with vinegar, I use a small plastic sprayer from a cosmetic/chemist shop usually cost around a couple of pounds or in your case likely the same in euros. Leave overnight and instant rust. Repeat for more, once you have made a start best to use the spray from then on. White vinegar, dark vinegar makes no difference.

Reactions: 1 user

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Brilliant. Thanks so much for this. Pounds are fine here. Look forward to trying this out.
Trevor

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Brilliant. Thanks so much for this. Pounds are fine here. Look forward to trying this out.

Trevor

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
How about Deluxe Materials' "Scenic Rust" kit? Like wot I used on this kit a few years ago :)

DSCN3712a.jpg

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for that Nick, that wagon has had a hard life. Very good.
T

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have used one of those commercial rust packages, not sure how they will last outside but I can show how the ‘Casey’ method lasts 24/7/365 outside. History tells me that I put my one outside in July 2018. Here is a reminder of it then and now after a couple of years outside weathering to that rust.F6B3D293-D90F-470C-BF69-077D0388BD20.jpeg83DFFFF0-F679-4ED2-BC6D-A14FA0DABF06.jpeg
As you can see in the second picture the effect has clearly been toned sown by a fair degree. I was a little surprised when I took this 2nd picture just now and had a look back to compare it. Clearly because the rust is an external add on to the plastic over time is gently washes away, I have to say I rather like the weathered effect that has now revealed itself, though in time I expect I will need to refresh the rust.

Not sure how the commercial ones will survive outside, but a skip has in the last month or so had that treatment so remind me in a couple of years to do a comparison picture please.

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
'I have to say I rather like the weathered effect that has now revealed itself.'

Thanks a lot for the photos. I really like the look of that degree of weathering and is going exactly what I am looking for. I'll try this out on some scrap plastic.
Trevor