Roundhouse Harlech Castle Sound

Coastline

Registered
27 Jun 2019
West Sussex
Best answers
I have purchased one of these and whilst the sound unit is sort of OK I am really looking to get something more authentic. Peter Spoerer was one of the best in this field but he has now retired and the company that took over his work does not respond to emails, I think they are called Fossworks. Does anyone know of someone that could remove the exiting unit and replace it with a superior unit. Cheers
roundhouse-harlech-castle-500x500.jpg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I am a little surprised Steve has not responded? - Fosworks are normally pretty good at getting back on requests..

Do you know what unit is in the model?

PhilP
(phil@rctrains.co.uk)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Fosworks are agent for mylocosound, which produces a generic diesel sound mainly aimed at big mainline locos.

Mind you, if you're not fussed about prototypical sound, it makes a great noise >:)>:)>:)>:)

Coastline

Registered
27 Jun 2019
West Sussex
Best answers
I sent a couple of emails as I needed three locos fitted with sound. One I have since scarped as it burnt out when I tried fitting one myself !
The Harlech Castle has the manufacturers unit fitted.

Coastline

Registered
27 Jun 2019
West Sussex
Best answers
Fosworks are agent for mylocosound, which produces a generic diesel sound mainly aimed at big mainline locos.

Mind you, if you're not fussed about prototypical sound, it makes a great noise >:)>:)>:)>:)

Your units are great as I had them in OO gauge locos in the past. I have now gone large ! I would prefer a diesel sound plus horn.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Your units are great as I had them in OO gauge locos in the past. I have now gone large ! I would prefer a diesel sound plus horn.

I'm not mylocosound, that's Moonraker - I've just got one of the units in my big Bertha.

It does do a horn, on command from the remote control, and I've got mine set up US style to give a bell at low speed :nod::nod:

PICT0002.JPG

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag

There is a 'light diesel' card now, as well..
The later cards have (some) recorded sounds in them.

Not enough info on the Roundhouse site to say who's soundcard they fit..
Inference from their instructions, is that you can initiate engine stop/start, and activate a horn from the handset.

I would have to research the 'prime-mover', and find a video or two, to see if there is something better than the OEM sounds.
You do have to remember you will never get a 'really big sound' from a small box..

Coastline

Registered
27 Jun 2019
West Sussex
Best answers
I did try another sound unit from an online site but it was hilarious, just like a very tinny machine gun, terrible. That went in the bin. Are these Fossworks people the only one who fits sound card now ?

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I did try another sound unit from an online site but it was hilarious, just like a very tinny machine gun, terrible. That went in the bin. Are these Fossworks people the only one who fits sound card now ?

There are several people who fit this type of equipment..

If you have seen the 2017 YouTube video from Peter, then that is an Mtronics card.

I will send you a message.. Look for a little red rectangle, top-right of the screen, next to the 'bell'.
Oh, and welcome to the Forum. :)

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag

We have two diesel soundcards at MyLocoSound.

The heavy diesel soundcard contains recorded engine sounds from EMD, GM, English Electric, Sulzer and Alco. There are six horns to choose from. Five are synthesised and therefore you can vary the pitch to your taste and they can be single or dual tone. The sixth is a recorded, single tone Nathan horn.

The light diesel soundcard has three recorded engines with a Simplex just added this week. The horns are all recorded, two tone, Baguley Drewry, Baldwin, Barclay and, my personal favourite, a Klaxon.

I Know Steve at Fosworks is flat out with heavy demand at the moment but I am sure he will respond soon. In the meantime, if anyone has MyLocoSound questions please email me at sales@mylocosound.com.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

Steve Foster

Registered
13 Feb 2018
Blackburn
Best answers
Country flag
Hi coastline, I'm sorry if you haven't had a reply from me, I wasn't aware that I'd missed an enquiry, but I am now.
I'm sure that Roundhouse use Mtroniks sound modules, so if you're not happy with that, I'm sure we can offer you something that will do the job. There a quite a few considerations and I do like to talk diesels, so perhaps it would be best if you could call us at Fosworks during office hours and I'll talk you through the options and perhaps play a few sounds.
Best regards
Steve Foster

www.fosworks.co.uk

Reactions: 1 user

Coastline

Registered
27 Jun 2019
West Sussex
Best answers
I have pinged an email to Steve with my original email attached. Thanks to everyone for suggestions and advice,