Lone Star Bridges - are they still being made?

NCS from Qbyn

Registered
29 Apr 2016
Queanbeyan, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I purchased a custom built wooden arch suspension bridge from a company I believe was called something like Lone Star Models about 12 years ago. The company was located somewhere in Texas, USA.

It was a well made product and lasted really well for many years in my garden, with only a couple of re-varnishings - despite the harsh summer sun. [I live near Canberra in Australia - which has rather hot summers with occasional thunderstorms and a lot of UV - it is 2000 feet ASL]

However, my bridge recently it met its match in the form of a 20 foot long tree limb that chose to fall squarely on top of it from a considerable height! The result was not pretty. Luckily, I was nowhere near it when this happened, or I doubt I would be submitting this post!

I went online to try to see what it might cost to replace the bridge, but was unable to find the company's web page. There were one or two places that were offering second hand versions of their bridges - but not the model I have.

Does anyone know of this company and whether it is still in business making these wooden G Scale Bridges - and, if so, how to contact them.

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag

NCS from Qbyn

Registered
29 Apr 2016
Queanbeyan, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Here is a review of a bridge by Lone Star Bridge. Lone Star Bridge & Abutment pony-truss bridge | Garden Railways Magazine. Unfortunately, it's from 2006 and the website link is dead. This is a newer listing: F 1:20.3 Scale Wood Structure - 17-3/4" King Truss Bridge - Lone Star Models | BRASSTRAINS.COM shows a smaller version and the vendor might have more information on the manufacturer. Good luck on your search.
Thanks. Yeah, I sent an email to Brass Trains a few days ago. All they could say was that they sell the bridges secondhand and have no idea if they are still being made. When I tried the Lone Star web site that I had had bookmarked from years ago, it went to a site that was offering their domain name for sale! This doesn't look too promising at all. I suspect they have gone out of business. I think I will have to salvage what I can from the wreck and try to build a new bridge myself. It won't look as good as the original, but that will depend on how much of the original is re-usable. I have actually built a few wooden bridges of my own from scratch before, but they are not quite up to the class of the one I have now lost.

Jbdaws

Registered
11 Mar 2021
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
His name is Mark Smith and he has retired, but you might find a contact through the North Texas Garden Railway club.

Monty

Registered
16 Apr 2018
Springwood, NSW, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi NCS,
Not sure what type of bridge you require but Kevin at Pamac Hobbies has a few on this Pre-Loved web page [Pre-Loved | Pamak Hobbies] for sale, would they be suitable?
You need to will need to scroll down past all the locos and cars on offer and resist buying anything but .....
cheers, Ian

NCS from Qbyn

Registered
29 Apr 2016
Queanbeyan, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi NCS,
Not sure what type of bridge you require but Kevin at Pamac Hobbies has a few on this Pre-Loved web page [Pre-Loved | Pamak Hobbies] for sale, would they be suitable?
You need to will need to scroll down past all the locos and cars on offer and resist buying anything but .....
cheers, Ian
Thanks, but my post was 3 years ago. Since then, I actually salvaged my old broken bridge and rebuilt it. It took a lot of work, as the wood was actually splintered and I had to brace it with fresh wood and bolts and then sand it down and revarnish it. I actually posted that work on this forum a couple of years ago. [see pictures at post "Bridge disaster and recovery" from 5 Feb 2021] The bridge is now back in operation and looking good.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user