Roundhouse Criccieth Castle throttle problems

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I have recently aquired a Roundhouse Criccieth Castle. It seemed to work fine for a while and then all of a sudden, while the wheels would rotate, it had no power moving forward with a light load. In reverse "gear" it seems to work perfectly, with plenty of power. I have checked that when the throttle is set at TDC ( it's one of those model car TX's with a wheel that controls the throttle, not a stick) that neither front or rear directional LED's are lit and that there is no humming from the motor. I fully charged the battery this morning and changed those in the TX's too. It has a sound card and that seems to be responding as it should to throttle inputs, but I think it might not be giving the full revs sound when in forward motion. In reverse it seems ok sound wise. Any ideas on what the problem may be ? I'd like to avoid some costly postage and insurance to return it to RH. Max

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Never used a 'car-type' handset.. - I would assume you have? And know how to calibrate it / the ESC?

I would suspect that an output transistor has 'popped'..

Can you / are you, prepared to open it up, and swap the wires on the motor? - The problem should then be in reverse.
This eliminates a motor/gearbox/drive problem.

Would could also measure the voltage to the motor, if you have a meter. - Does mean opening the loco up, though.. :wondering:

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you PhilP. I'm a bit under the weather today, nothing too serious. Sounds logical and reasonable stuff that you suggest. The TX has a function where you can flip the polarity. I have tried that and the problem manifests itself in reverse. So, I'll have a chat with RH on Monday before I start pulling it apart. I have a multi meter. Max

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Max,
By all means see what Roundhouse say.. I would certainly 'have the top-off' and look-see..

If the ESC is separate to the receiver, iy may be cheaper to replace it with the likes of a mTronics Micro Viper Loco?

Philp.

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Roundhouse have had a look at it and it turns out it was a mechanical issue, not what at first might prove to be and ESC/TX/RX one. Turns out something had come loose on the worm gear's mounting to the motor's output shaft. One direction it stays tight the other it wound itself off the shaft and the motor was able to run free of any load from the loco. Hence full power in reverse and less than rice pudding skin pulling ability the other way. They have tested it on a load, both directions, way above spec', and all is looking fine and dandy. I think I am going to like this loco. I wonder if it can haul a dead NG/G 16. Well at least its rolling stock on ECS movements.

A big thank you to Roundhouse - they have declined any payment for work and will return it to me on a next day service...... at no cost :party: Remember this was a 2nd hand loco .There is a reason RH have an unrivaled reputation for service. Max

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Its certainly a good way to keep and gain customers. For a reasonable outlay they've probably advertised themselves far better that way than spending a fortune in advertising in the media. A definite win-win, and great service