DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
FRAME DETAIL
I have been beavering away at this for a while, but it has been slow as I kept loosing the will with it after doing the Bogies. Today after my Phone Hassle I finally set too and got the Prototype done to my satisfaction and the other two around half completed. So I felt it time to show what this looks like. Truth to tell it is all done by bluff and mirrors. Well bits of Plasticard, Mains Copper Wire, Brass Tube to Join and even some Plasticard type Wire. There is a lot missing, but I am happy that it looks busy enough down there to say enough is enough. So just two half ones to finish and then onto Rattle Canning.

image.jpg

In the meantime I have been Copying some Pictures of Rollwagens that I have taken Pics of. So thought that these would make a change from all my rabbiting.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

[attachimg=9]

All the ones in the Station are at Stiege, the one on the Line is between there and Silberhütte. Taken around the time the Wall came down. The Trains are exactly what I am aiming to achieve on my line.
JonD

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 19

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I have not made an update on this project for quite a while now, in truth I had been worrying about how to make the parts that sit beneath the Wagon Wheels. These effectively on the prototype hold things in place. James has done a superb job on his Rollwagen. But for mine  I wanted Adjustable holders as on the Prototype. The reason for this being that I have 3 different types of Wagon to sit on the Rollwagens. 3 4 Wheelers and a Bogie, all Opens. As with all these things, eventually after a sleepless night a Light Turning On Moment came and there was the solution in my head. Pretty simple actually and the first Picture shows the solution. I took some time out this morning to make the lot and the pictures pretty well show the story. Much use of varying Tube, Channel, Wire, Nuts, Bolts and Square Section from KS etc all. Fortunately all was in stock so once the solution came it was just a matter of getting them all cut, soldered and fitted.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The things slide along the wire and two of the pictures show how they can go from one end to the other. They are held in pace by a Nail drilled through the Wheel Holder and the Top Rail on the chassis. This can be seen in the pictures.

This then gave me a chance to do some test runs and this showed up some problems. Firstly the Couplings are not fully compatible with LGB. I guess that James made a better job of his. Also the Coupling Bars between the Rollwagens do need some more sideways movement. I will attack the ends with the Mini Grinder to cut some meat out making the Fronts of the Coupling Housing like a U shape. More on this when there has been some Test Running of the Mods.  In the meantime here are some pics of the Train out on the line, with my Battery Powered Rod 2095.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I am quite pleased with the look of the Tain. The Wagons sit suitably high against the Loco and Coach. Much as I remember them on the Harz.

JonD

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good Jon, do they lock the wheels well or do the chocks move a bit? Only asking as some had small square 'pips' on the outside edge to stop the chock from moving lengthways but not in the way of the wheel.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Paul, yes I noted that some have those Squares welded onto the Chassis Top or Rail as it is. But I did find a picture of some without this so used it as my excuse to just drill through the Chocks and the Rail to put the pin through. This is just a Track Pin on each chock with the sharpe end removed. That is all that is holding them on at the moment at it appears to be fine. But I have sourced some fine Chain and will be using that for a more secure link between the Rollwagen and the Standard Gauge Piggy Backed Wagon.
JonD

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Missed the nail ;) more useful for security on the model though if you had a flat on the back end of the chock, (without the slope), it would work full size too. Have the pin on a short chain attached to the chock so it didn't get lost.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Might give that a try Paul. I need to do some more work as they are not reliable in running through my LGB R3 Points. Peco are fine, but when I have Timetable Running I need them to be pretty close to 100%. So for the time being they will not be used till I get them sorted. This means that the TT running will be a Block Gravel Train and the Block Ruschbahn Oil Train. I had intended the Gravel Wagons to move to different locations on the line. But soon things will be sorted I am sure. At least they do run fairly well and round the complete line providing I miss out the LGB R3's. The R3's are only in the Low Level Fiddle and yard off the Main. 4ft Rad rules on all the Main Lines.
JoD

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Some time since I wrote about these and I have nothing more to offer here. However I just found this vid on YouTube taken on the Cranzal 750mm line in East Germany. It is very interesting and shows in better detail how these things are shunted and the danger that staff are under in the making up and braking up of trains. Well worth a look.

Reactions: 1 users

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Some time since I wrote about these and I have nothing more to offer here. However I just found this vid on YouTube taken on the Cranzal 750mm line in East Germany. It is very interesting and shows in better detail how these things are shunted and the danger that staff are under in the making up and braking up of trains. Well worth a look.

Extreme co-ordination! An H&S nightmare!

Reactions: 1 user