DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
COUPLINGS
I have always intended to copy the Coupling System that James used. However as the Couplings between Wagons are effectively a Link and Pin, I needed to do something different with my Train Load. I have in the past used  Link and Pin Couplings, in fact they were at the time the only way that I could afford to couple all my stock together. This was before I got into LGB again, I even converted LGB Locomotives and Rolling Stock to Link and Pin. There will be Stock bought out there second hand with strange holes in the Buffers, remnants of my  Link and Pin experiments. However I was less pleased with them when I discovered that a derailment pulls the complete Train off the Track. So I needed to do a modification for my Rolwagen Project. That Mod is to allow the Coupling Bar to revolve. This has been achieved by having a Joint in The Bar and fitting a Rotating Mechanism within. Simply put I have used 5.5 mm Tube with ends Soldered onto where they will join. Drilled and Tapped to accept 8ba Skrew and that is is. The first picture shows the components. The next screwed together with the Coupling Wire.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The third Picture shows the Completed Assembly. It is possible to unscrew the short end from the long one and this is indeed how they are put together. I should have used smaller gauge wire for the Handles, but as I need to build one more Loco Bar and two intermediate ones, this will be attended to on them. It is I feel only necessary to have one end with the Revolving Assembly.

image.jpg

The next Pic shows all the components laid out to complete the 5 bars that I have needed, 3 Loco-Wagon (1 of theses is a spare) and 2 Wagon Wagon. As you can see, I got into Mass Production Mode again.

image.jpg

The biggest pain in all the Construction was the fitting if the Handholds. These when soldered needed Heat Shrinks and Spacers. I did say the odd sweary, specially on the last one when I realised that it would have been easier to Super Glue them in place!

The Fifth Pic shows the Bar on a Test Fit using a Wagon. I have also tried it on the Baby Kamel and it works just fine.  I used a bent piece of Wire for this Test, however thoughts are in process for a proper Pin that cannot be lost.

image.jpg

Then the next Pic is to show the completed 5 bars.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Finally a Test run of 1 Wagon taken using the first bar to be constructed. Running was perfect except on Propelling over the Curve of a Peco Point. I think that is due the forces of Bar and Wheels being in Oposition to each other.  Propelling on the Straight over the Point was perfect. It is now likely that when Carolstadt is retracked, there will be a Goods Loop which is where these will be Emptied in the Timetable.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Next will be some kind of a Pin to hold the Bards in the Couplings which have by the Way had some Oblong Bar soldered to the Strengthening Bar to give somewhere for the Bards to go. Will have to cogitate a bit re the pins.

JonD

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks Mr Valve, the Rollwagens on the Workbench just now looking at Fiddly Detail and trying to work out a plan. James one in this respect is somewhat different, his being 76cm mine being Metre Gauge. From the pics posted on here by that nice Mr Stockers show wildly differing Detail. So I am going to make a rough sketch of what I think I can do (KISS) compared to a full detail Workup. Still cogitating over the Pins for the Link and Pin, but anxious to do a full Test with all 3. So small Pop Rivets may be called into play if the Weather is fair in the next day or so.
JonD

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Nice work JD....

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Corr!
Yes please - I'll have 3!

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
stockers said:
Corr!
Yes please - I'll have 3!
There was a time when I would have done that, but now I struggle to get everything that I beed done for myself. So many Models to build - so little time. Still thanks for the complement.
JonD

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Thats fine. It was a tongue in cheek comment. But a brilliant build all the same.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
stockers said:
Thats fine. It was a tongue in cheek comment. But a brilliant build all the same.
Guessed that Alan, but would have certainly thought about doing some at one time when I needed the Dosh.
JonD

D

Deleted member 1986

JohD,

Superb work all round, thoroughly absorbing read from the beginning and to date, seems you have bodgeling down to the art of perfection.

Makes for interesting rake, trundling round the track.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
DETAIL
I made a good start yesterday (rain stopped play on the Garden Railway around Lunchtime) on some of the Bogie and Spring Detail, loads to do but it is a start.

BOGIE DETAIL
The Harz Rollblockwagens have some quite complex weldings on the Bogies and I wanted to try to replicate these Streachers. Take a look at the first of Chris`s Pictures on Reply #5 to see what I mean. So I started hacking Plasticard, in my usual manner I have laid out the parts for one of these, together with the one that I have already made. The parts for one are to the left of the Brush. The rest of the parts for 1 Bogie to the Right. Only another 5 Bogies worth to do now. but after I have prototyped the first one, the rest come somewhat easier. Henry would be proud of me and my Production Line

image.jpg

I also at this time made up what I call the H Section, this houses the Brake Spring. I used a bit of Brass Tube for the Spring Housing, surreptitiously Super Glueing it to the Bogie Coupling Bar behind the Front of the Frames. I really did cop out on trying to Solder this on here. The two bits of Plasticard either side are hacked from some aborted parts for the afore mentioned Prototype. The next two pics show the first assembly mounted in place and on LGB R1 Curves. Frankly I did not think that they would work, but clearly they are at the limit but would probably be OK if I managed to get all 12 the same. However as my Minimum is R2 I foresee no problems.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Finally another view of the ensemble at a different angle, with both of the Steachers in place. It all looks a bit Scruffy at this stage, but will tidy up when I spray and Weather it all.

image.jpg

Only another 5 Bogies worth to do now. But after I have prototyped the first one, the rest come somewhat easier. Henry would be proud of me and my Production Line.

Finally as a rest for you from all of my Ramblings, here is a great You Tube Film of the Harz in the Epoc that I am trying to replicate. Quite a long one with a few Clips of both Rollwagen and Rollblocks. However if you want to see a REAL GOODS TRAIN, with Rollwagen fast forward to just about 60 Minutes into this. To put into Diesel Bashers Speak HELLFIRE!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_H_ygnJOEFU

JonD

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Keep going Jon ;)
Evidently we are clearing up the garage next week so I'll have 'to find' the wheels for my project :)
Got to press off the wheels for the 7/8ths stuff so I can have a day of sorting wheels out.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Not a great deal has been happening with these in the last few days. Good weather and  being K`d after my Garden Labors has seen to this. But there are a coupe of things to show,  first up I needed to take the first Completed Bogie off the Wagon and took the opportunity to take a Pic of it in all it`s Horribleness. It really is very crude, but as it will be well hidden and look much nicer with a coat of paint I am not over worrying about it.

image.jpg

HANDBRAKES
Next up I have made a start on the Handbrakes. These are another bit of dickie Plastic Wear. When I cut off the Bogie Pins I was left with a few longish lumps of well to put a fine point on it Handbrake Making Material. Here is the result.

image.jpg

The Dickie Wagons are proving to be Untroblesome in the extreme.

Finally a small quiz. What do you think I will be doing with these Ebay Purchases?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221221820118?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Gladhands or couplings?
The former I reckon..

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Glad my model inspired you to have a go :) this is looking grand! I have a stock of feldbahn wheels and Emily wheels as I fully intend to do another one or two in future, with the aim of making them operational models, however that would mean making the standard gauge wagon a working one, whereas, like you did, I made the wheel sets a push fit between the axle boxes.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
James, good to hear from you praise indeed from the master. A friend of mine has a working one in 16mm, 32mm Track Gauge with an English GRS Mineral Wagon. Fully removable load pretty easy stuff. But finger poken to get off as he has no 63mm Loco to Shunt it off with. You going into G3? His was based in the Leek and Manifold ones, this line is his obsession.

You appeared to have better luck with your Emily Wheels plea than I did. But then you got in earlier, perhaps there are none spare in the Forum now.
JonD

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
If I do ever get round to it then the shunting will be done by cable, like on the Zillertalbahn, using the LGB/Liliput Kof bash engine I built last year... Planning on doing a brake van and converting my LGB HF130 diesel to a Lyd2 this year, that should keep me busy :)

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Jon keeps referring to my project of 2012: http://www.gscalecentral.net/rolling-stock-passenger/roll-wagen-project/ (which seems to have migrated to 'passenger' rolling stock!)
P1320887.JPG

P1320901.JPG

spoz

What do I do? What I'm told by SWMBO
27 Oct 2011
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
jameshilton said:
/ (which seems to have migrated to 'passenger' rolling stock!)
P1320901.JPG

That's understandable I suppose, it is carrying a passenger - of a sort!

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
COUPLING PINS
Yes I know not a very exiting subject, but having put all the Work in on the Bogies which have now been completed (6 Bogies with 4 Fabrications for each consisting of around 20 parts each) I needed something with a little less Mass Production. There are only 6 of these to make so it seamed like an easy job for this evening in the Workshop. This proved to be the case.

As ever I had the iPad with a view of what the Real thing has done and made my first Prototype before going into Mass Production. I reasoned that an 8BA Screw with some 2.5mm Tube, bits of Wire and Chain would do the Job. The Real thing does not appear to use the Chain, but I do not want to keep loosing the things. So Pic 1and 2  shows the first prototype installed on a Wagon, the only fancy bit of Work was to Turn off the Top bit of Thread from the Bolt in the Lathe. I think that the Pictures of the Job should be pretty well self explanatory.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Next up the rest of the Detail.

JonD