Roco Fleischmann Z21 digital system

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
I saw the Z21 at Warley but didn't get a chance to find out everything I wanted. I've since answered the main stumbling block and it can work bigger boosters as it only delivers 3.5 amps as standard. It will work with the Uhlenbrock 7.5 amp booster though which means bigger G scale layouts with multiple sound locos are quite possible.

What you get :
Z21 base station approx 8 x 6 x 1.5 inches - 3.5amp output.
Router small enough to sit on top of the base station.
Power cables and a nice simple illustrated instruction book.

What you need extra to get going:
Smart phone, iPod touch (wifi) or a tablet that you can download the Z21 app to.

Setup takes a couple of minutes including registering the throttle on your device of choice.
You can set up specific and very intuitive pages for each loco including pictures of them. You can also control accessories like points signals etc overlaying touch control symbols over a photo of the layout or trackplan.
It doesn't have a screen where you can just tap in the loco address but it takes about 20 seconds to create a basic profile and then it's easy for anyone to know what does what function wise.
I've created a generic profile that has 20 function buttons that I can change the address on for guest locos.

Cost wise you can get the basic 3.5 amp base unit for around £300, adding £100-150 if you don't already have a smart phone or tablet to use as a throttle.
A bigger booster for big layouts with up to 8 amps and 17 volts will set you back a further £250 ish if you take the Uhlenbrook route.
So another option that's versatile and can have the voltage switched for large scale or smaller with a nice intuitive interface.
It's not going to replace Massoth navigators for those already down that route but worth considering if you're looking at systems for multiple scales and the tablets and iPod wifi option saves about £100 per handset for wireless.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Well we ran this for the first time at Wickham and it performed very well. I now have a Uhlenbrock power7 booster and transformer that gives me 8 amps. We used 3 iPhones and one Android galaxy tab2. The only problem was with the iPhone 3GS crashing twice but I found if missed an update so that's hopefully solved.
Total cost so far
Z21 £330 (2.5amp)
8amp Power 7 & Transformer £257
I already had an iPhone but picked up a second hand iPhone 4 for £90
Galaxy tab 2 £130 (two throttles on screen in landscape)

Total £807 including 3 throttles.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yep I went for the booster to cater for the heavier amps required for Accucraft locos, plus the Harz 2-10-2's are twin motored so that would be pushing it on Süd Harz.
The Z21 allows you to set it to control LGB locos on 14 and others on 28-128 at the same time as its in the individual loco profiles you setup. Very clever.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting information on the Z21, thanks.

LGB decoders will run on 28 speed steps (maybe some of the really early ones didn't), why don't you try running them like that?

I always run LGB at 28 speed steps on my Lenz system, which also allows different loco addresses to be configured with different speed steps. I was under the impression that is what every system did?

teewye

Registered
5 Feb 2014
Renfrewshire
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Paul,
Where did you buy the Uhlenbrock?
Also I found the manual on their website, but I am not clear how the Z21 connects to it.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I bought the Booster and transformer from James at DCC Automation as he did the checking for me. I tried to use the bus but it didn't work so I just put in the signal to the relevant terminals and it works a treat. I've run it for three two day shows up to 9 hrs continuous. The only issues I've had are occasional lock up of a handset, just close and restart, and we lost wifi on Sunday but reset the router and Z21 and had it all sorted in less than a minute. We suspect the sports centres powerful wifi might have bumped off all the handsets.

morionds

I'm New, Please Be Gentle
13 Feb 2015
Best answers
hello , I also bought a z21 ( White Edition ) for 120 € and with machines to one motor works fine .
But I wanted to take a booster to feed the line and use the output of the z21 for points and signals .
I did not understand how you have connected the booster Uhlenbrock to z21 . can explain it better? Or post a picture ?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

morionds

13 Feb 2015
Best answers
I've find this pdf manual

04a10ef6e2569c6bb8b443aef6c31bcc.jpg

How you can see is possible to connect any CDE booster by the booster adapter 10789 roco
In the picture is rappresented a Massoth 12A booster but what's a CDE booster ??

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
morionds said:
.. but what's a CDE booster ??

A CDE booster interface is an interface originally developed by Lenz and now supported by a number of other manufacturers. It was called CDE simply because that is what the connection terminals were labled.

According to your picture there appears to be at least 4 different ways to connect a booster to the Z21 system.

morionds

13 Feb 2015
Best answers
I can't find the Uhlenbrok booster 8A but only the 4A ... Con you telo me the code please ? Thanks Francesco

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

morionds

13 Feb 2015
Best answers
Thanks PaulRhB
I have the last one question ;)
How you connect it to z21? By booster bus or with CDE adapter ?

morionds

13 Feb 2015
Best answers
excuse if i'm so curious but I also need to buy a booster ; )

Do you know the booster of TAMS Electronic ? A member of italian forum bought one of this to connect it at the Intellibox digital station ...

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I used the CDE input, the signal from the track output of the Z21 with just Dip switch 1 set to ON.
I couldn't get the net connection to work.

Check if the TAM booster is compatible as not all use the same signal format. The dealer I used knew the Uhlrnbrock worked but I've been warned off using some of the circuit breakers designed for digitrax and NCE because they can damage the command station. I don't understand the detail of that but if you can't find someone who's actually used them together then I'm wary of mixing different makes of booster and command station. The LDT boosters in the PDF posted earlier are interesting because they are so much cheaper than the Roco ones. Where did you find the diagram?

morionds

13 Feb 2015
Best answers
Hi Paul, I've download pdf file from this link

http://www.z21.eu/content/download/1115/12924/file/wei%C3%9Fe%20z21%20DE.zip

I've the z21 (white edition)

morionds

13 Feb 2015
Best answers
then you have connected the power track output of Z21 to the entrance Of CDE booster Uhnlenbrock ?...
you can put a pattern please?
Thanks
Francesco

morionds

13 Feb 2015
Best answers
Is this your booster ?

4deb56f43320030c56af2fbbcc589555.jpg

Where do you you have connect the in and the out ?
sorry but I'm confused.
because according to my schedule I would have taken the adapter to connect booster cde ! instead you took the signal directly from the tracks ?