Reverse loop using R1 curves and point

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
I considered using that fancy diode reversing system. Read up all about it, including the voltage loss, and the fact that there would be a momentary kick when you reversed the polarity once the train was on the loop. Frankly, in the end, it was the cost (in the Colonies) of the system. Did some figuring, and installed a system that cost only $6.00, and did not get a voltage drop. Down side, the train, theoretically, has to stop when changing mainline polarity. I reckon that's OK, because a real train would have to do that if the turnout was a manual one where the crew had to bend the iron.
On the Taita Gorge, trains using the reversing loops (yes plural), enter said loop, and once completely in the loop, and just before the exit, the Direction button on my Train Engineer is pressed, the train then slows to almost a stop. There is a dwell time before it reverses (which we don't want to do). At that point, I just flick the magic $6.00 switch, and the train builds up speed and carries on its merry way. And the $6.00 solution? A DPDT switch wired up in reversing mode.
View attachment 271679

.... and for an extra $3.00 (an on/off switch), you can even control the crossing loop! The backshunt is handy for the short loop/large train (which fits the crossing loop out the front) scenario.
There is merit in the DPDT switch usage especially cost, however I got the LGB things for a really good price, the isolating is done by track pieces instead of IRJ s, but the most important thing is the mental capacity remaining in my brain and the physical effort in flicking a switch :D

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
If you were running battery power, your reverse loops would be a breeze.....:wasntme:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Or

Or DCC!
I nearly said both if those things but elected not to after I had typed it, someone will be on at you soon!

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
I think i am going to play a bit mean, sorry for that, i dont mean it wrong!!!!!
It seems to me that the top of your bricks are at almost the same level as the concrete foundation that is over there?
Why not make your circle bigger and put your turnout/points/switch a bit more back down the road?
It will allow you a bigger circle and more room to connect some wires to get the V where you want to.
Just a open thought from my side: why not implement 2 turnouts into the track that is going into that tunnel?
To increase the radii from your reverse loop and give it more possibilities?

Why not use: templot instead of anyrail? you can do sooooooo much more.
I could make some (on approximately based measurements) ideas in box files, if you would like.

With best regards Igor.

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I think i am going to play a bit mean, sorry for that, i dont mean it wrong!!!!!
It seems to me that the top of your bricks are at almost the same level as the concrete foundation that is over there?
Why not make your circle bigger and put your turnout/points/switch a bit more back down the road?
It will allow you a bigger circle and more room to connect some wires to get the V where you want to.
Just a open thought from my side: why not implement 2 turnouts into the track that is going into that tunnel?

I could make some (on approximately based measurements) ideas in box files, if you would like.

With best regards Igor.
I hadn't heard of Templot before, but after a looking at the website, perhaps because Templot is designed for those who build their own track and the Templot website recommends Anyrail for those building with sectional track? Just a matter of using what we each consider the appropriate tool for the job. As with the comments on "How do you catalog your collection," we all use a variety of tools that we personally prefer. I use Anyrail and have found it has some shortcomings, but is "good enough" at the price for my current needs. If I think I might start building my own track, I would certainly give Templot a try. In fact, looking over the Templot site tempts me to try scratchbuilding some track! I only have about twenty rolling stock building projects to finish first.

Best Regards,
Ken

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag

With best regards Igor.
That’s fine Igor, Money is one reason, the concrete you can see is a path that slopes left to right, it was an attempt to keep water away from the building. The tunnel isn’t! It is for appearance only, maybe, when finances allow I will expand the layout, I wanted a reverse loop because it would add a bit of interest rather than just another loop. Anyway, thanks for your suggestions.

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
My reverse loop is now open to traffic, all working and is doing what I wanted, a little bit of variety to my running sessions. I used Thermalite blocks, they are extremely light and very back friendly!
The points are LGB and operate automatically as the trains leave the loop, only wagon that had difficulties was my Liliputt (Bachmann) bogied wagon, used an old speaker as extra weight and a couple of thin washers under the pivot points so that the bogies could turn without binding.
The buildings are a mixture of Pola and ex dolls house, can’t remember where the line side type hut (kit) came from.
The scale varies wildly, but it works for me.
Future plans, more plants maybe, possibly a small diesel, if I can find one cheap enough!

Attachments

• A85DF824-02A9-45BD-9ED0-B19D59D61867.jpeg
    A85DF824-02A9-45BD-9ED0-B19D59D61867.jpeg
    856.9 KB · Views: 0
  • C27D04DC-7366-410E-965E-96B76391B6B9.jpeg
    C27D04DC-7366-410E-965E-96B76391B6B9.jpeg
    695.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 16C42009-FFEF-4A91-A597-69ED7015AC76.jpeg
    16C42009-FFEF-4A91-A597-69ED7015AC76.jpeg
    797.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2B924B8C-2DD7-49C8-B2B8-69C2D1F4D368.jpeg
    2B924B8C-2DD7-49C8-B2B8-69C2D1F4D368.jpeg
    670.4 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 user

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good Pete. Love the dissected dolls house - I have an identical one on my layout which has been converted into a French station building and the Mayor's office. Have you been tunneling under the house to the front garden or is it a siding feeding a time mine?

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good Pete. Love the dissected dolls house - I have an identical one on my layout which has been converted into a French station building and the Mayor's office. Have you been tunneling under the house to the front garden or is it a siding feeding a time mine?
Thanks Mike, we are always on the look out for tin down here, the reverse loop thingy barely slows the loco down using the Aristocraft controller by the way. The tunnel is just for show, looked better than ending at the path! The dolls house came as one of an identical pair for a fiver, they are Chad Valley, amazing build quality, the door bell turns on the porch lights, rings a bell, then a dog barks, Imagine the Pola/LGB price for that! Absolutely pointless for the railway obviously, but just shows what these girls were getting while we had to wait years for sound systems!