Return to the forum

SWR Shunter

Registered
21 Dec 2022
Windsor UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hello everyone,
Reintroducing myself to this fantastic forum. My name is Tim, some of you may remember me from a few years ago as nicebutdim (yes, Harry Enfield's character lol). I used to have a fairly substantial setup running around a 70ft garden, mostly LGB, which had fully automated signalling and UK style automatic level crossing. Unfortunately, just as I got it all running just the way I liked, my marriage broke down and within a day everything was pulled up, boxed up and put into storage. So here I am, 4 years later, keeping my toes in the g scale water. Although I do now have a place of my own, it's far from suitable for a garden railway as my home is now a boat and my garden is the Thames! I still have the vast majority of the railway, hopefully one day the opportunity will arise to reinstate the line. Good news is I progressed through some roles with my toc to become a shunter, so rather than playing with models, I get to play with the real ones instead. As they say, it's not really work if you enjoy it!
So I'll keep hovering around on here, learning everything new that I have missed for the last few years and passing on any useful information that I can give.
Certainly is good being here again, I've missed it.

Reactions: 1 user

steinman

Comfortably Numb
24 Oct 2009
Cleveleys, Blackpool
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Tim

Welcome back to GSC, its good to see old faces return :)

Reactions: 1 user

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry to hear about the unforced absence, it must have been a trying experience over the last few years. Not sure a boat would be a good place for even an indoor g scale layout, but you can brush up on your railway modelling while you wait.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Boat on the Thames, eh ! No room for a railway ? You cannot be serious ! Welcome back Tim.

HMS Belfast - exterior.jpg

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome back...home

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Weback, sorry to hear of your troubles, hopefully things will get better

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome back Tim, my pal lived a narrow boat for some years and I was constantly working out how to fit. My thoughts were a 6 inch plank along the walkway through the boat he had on one side. Ok if you are not too wide, but in G would only give you a to and fro shuttle. But in TT120 you may manage a small system? Not sure where you are based, (oh Windsor) but if you can get here you are always welcome to an Operating session on the DR.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
It's not only the space that's an issue, it's also the rocking of the boat.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, and welcome, as an old hand, you don't really need the humour warnings, as you will already know how dire it can be ;)

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry to hear about the unforced absence, it must have been a trying experience over the last few years. Not sure a boat would be a good place for even an indoor g scale layout, but you can brush up on your railway modelling while you wait.
If you're moored up at Windsor and want to run some of your loco collection you are welcome to bring them along to my indoor layout in Ascot. DC DCC or battery catered for but all R1 which may not suit your models.