Resurrecting a disused garden railway - the SCGR reborn

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
D
Thanks Peter, I get mine from b&q, although I do also have some from Wickes that have the rougher texture. I usually just scrape them smooth with an ordinary wallpaper scraper.
Ooh they need to be smooth? By the time ballast etc has been added, will you actually see the blocks?

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Paul I think it's just a matter of personal preference. I guess I've gotten used to smooth face blocks down the years. :)
They certainly seems to be a joy to work with, the ability to shape them easily is great and of course they're light enough to move without given you a rupture:whew:

Clive Tucker

Registered
21 May 2018
Portsmouth
www.scampington-chipside.co.uk
Best answers
They're pretty versatile and easy to cut. I've heard it said that they suffer from frost damage in winter, but to be honest I've not had that experience with them.

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
They certainly seems to be a joy to work with, the ability to shape them easily is great and of course they're light enough to move without given you a rupture:whew:
Tell me about the weight I have been moving 4” concrete blocks today, I will definately be using thermolite blocks from now on

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Tell me about the weight I have been moving 4” concrete blocks today, I will definately be using thermolite blocks from now on
Good exercise for you:giggle:

Clive Tucker

Registered
21 May 2018
Portsmouth
Best answers
I managed to rearrange the track plan today, after a chance find in the shed uncovered some LGB R2s and an off-cut of an Aristocraft curve (roughly equivalent to an R4.5-ish kind of radius)

42823207711_9f8a77152f_b.jpg

The new main line curve is a real mish-mash of radii, but it manages to get around ok - for a small bonus, in doing so I now have a spare R3 left hand point!

Reactions: 2 users

Clive Tucker

Registered
21 May 2018
Portsmouth
Best answers
Another small but notable event yesterday - I managed a full circuit on battery power pulling two OBB coaches with no mishaps! OK a couple of wobbles here and there, but this session would not have been possible with track power, I would have spent most of the day cleaning track and looking for, and resolving, dry joints etc.

Apologies for the ropey video quality, I have tried to find a half-decent video editing program which would allow simple cutting, adding a title etc but Windows 10 seems to not want any of that nonsense in its repertoire...

Reactions: 5 users

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Well that’s a milestone, and one for the diary the video look fine to me. A very interesting circuit winding in and out as it does.

Why Microsoft have to keep updating things and making it far more complicated in the process is beyond me, I guess they just live in their own little world of techno’s.

Valthaer

Registered
5 Jun 2018
Pamplona, Spain
Best answers
Great work! The video is fine enough as it is. And the layout is very nice, it have some interesting features and routes.

Clive Tucker

Registered
21 May 2018
Portsmouth
Best answers
Thanks Peter and Mr Valthaer, most kind of you. Still tons of things to do in order to protect the route from uninvited greenery, but I am getting there. Once the building works have been completed on the house, it will at the very least start to look tidier!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Big problem is that the Concrete ones tend to be the cheepest, well that was the case on most of the varying builds on my present line. Laying the concrete ones is however very moral forming!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Another small but notable event yesterday - I managed a full circuit on battery power pulling two OBB coaches with no mishaps! OK a couple of wobbles here and there, but this session would not have been possible with track power, I would have spent most of the day cleaning track and looking for, and resolving, dry joints etc.

Apologies for the ropey video quality, I have tried to find a half-decent video editing program which would allow simple cutting, adding a title etc but Windows 10 seems to not want any of that nonsense in its repertoire...

You have managed to replicate a Forestry Railway of the type seen in Bulgaria and Hungary, these 760mm lines used little 4 wheel diesels much like yours with a couple of coaches again much like yours. A possible route for you to follow? Not sure but it would make a very interesting little scenario with a little research. Great vid, oh and keep the faith with the Batteries!

Demiel1910

Tramway Demiel 1910 en France
13 Jul 2017
France
Best answers
Hi Clive, nice to see your return! I am also resurrecting 'Demiel 1910' after a few years! This time i am going for an end to end line. will post pics soon. Will still be featuring your brilliant figures!!

Mikeyh

Clive Tucker

Registered
21 May 2018
Portsmouth
Best answers
Hi Clive, nice to see your return! I am also resurrecting 'Demiel 1910' after a few years! This time i am going for an end to end line. will post pics soon. Will still be featuring your brilliant figures!!

Mikeyh
Mikey, how are you doing my friend!

Looking forward to seeing Tramway Demiel riding again!

Demiel1910

Tramway Demiel 1910 en France
13 Jul 2017
France
Best answers
BTW are you still accepting commissions? i have need of a couple of figures. no hurry though, the house is up for sale so i am concentrating on the modelling side at the moment!!

mikeyh

Clive Tucker

Registered
21 May 2018
Portsmouth
Best answers
BTW are you still accepting commissions? i have need of a couple of figures. no hurry though, the house is up for sale so i am concentrating on the modelling side at the moment!!

mikeyh
Of course! All monies to charity, as per usual. Let me know what you have in mind, at least I already know the locale and era :D

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Clive these last couple of posts are very intriguing...
You must tell us more..

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Clive these last couple of posts are very intriguing...
You must tell us more..[/QUOT

There a blast from the past but I will let Clive illuminate.
Hi mikeyh glad you’re rediscovering g scale,, where are you thinking of moving to?

Peter, back in the uk.