Replacing the RC on the Roundhouse Darj B

potboiler

Registered
22 May 2013
Fairfax, VA
Best answers
Country flag
Hello everyone,
I recently acquired a Roundhouse Darjeeling B. The locomotive is great but I'd like to replace the factory RC with a Fosworks system. I imagine I only need to replace the receiver on the locomotive since everything else such as the servos and linkages are already set up. So hoping to get some insight on how I may access the receiver which is stored in the ash pan under the cab floor. I havent found anything online or on the Roundhouse website that's helpful.

Thanks,
J

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Email Roundhouse, they are very helpful. Include the loco's serial # in case they have used different systems on different production runs, RH side under the cab. Some 10 years ago or so they replaced the awful rc car TX, supplied new from the factory, for a more conventional twin stick type....FOC. When changing TX's you may need to reset the throws of the servos for the regulator and reverser. Max

P.S. Roundhouse are now offering the Fosworks TX as an option for their classic series live steamers.

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
If tye Darj is anything like a Jack or Russel underneath there should be a plate somewhere under the cab where the RX is located. There should be 2 screws that hold it in place right and left side. Unscrew these, do not loose them and the U shaped plate should be removable.

If it is not as described take a picture underneath and Inshould be able to work things out.

Mine Rx’s have been wrapped in tape so if yours is carefully remove the tape. Swop plugs, test out and you should be good to go when wrapped in tape and plate put back.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Hello everyone,
I recently acquired a Roundhouse Darjeeling B. The locomotive is great but I'd like to replace the factory RC with a Fosworks system. I imagine I only need to replace the receiver on the locomotive since everything else such as the servos and linkages are already set up. So hoping to get some insight on how I may access the receiver which is stored in the ash pan under the cab floor. I havent found anything online or on the Roundhouse website that's helpful.

Thanks,
J
Make sure when you get the Fosworks unit you get the correct pin orientation as I believe there are 2 options - vertical and horizontal. And when you do the conversion please could you post a couple of pictures to help those of us who are also contemplating the same swap?

TIA

potboiler

Registered
22 May 2013
Fairfax, VA
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for the replies. I've been able to access the receiver under the cab floor. The cover just snaps out. Now the trick is how to the get the receiver out since it appears to be somehow attached to the housing. As suggested, I have emailed Roundhouse and am waiting for their reply.
J.

potboiler

Registered
22 May 2013
Fairfax, VA
Best answers
Country flag
Just wanted to close the loop on this topic. I received the reply from Roundhouse. The receiver snaps off from the housing. I just needed to pry it (gently) out with a small flat head screwdriver. Replacing the receiver then was a simple task. I used the spektrum AR6100 DSM receiver, and went with a Micron Tx20Sv2 transmitter. Then bound the receiver to the transmitter following the respective manuals. A simple task again... Lastly, plugged in the battery and factory installed servo leads to their respective pins on the receiver, tested and everything worked perfect. Done!