Removing body from one of “those”coaches.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Pampers brown?

Reactions: 1 user

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Damn those curried eggs. . . . .

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Dave,

I think that you are right to try different colours. The points to note are that the colours fade with age - effects of weathering, it also depends on whether you are modelling freshly painted stock. My photo was from a visit to Rugen where the coaches had been stored out in the open for some time. There were a number of differences in shades of colour especially with the green stock.

Regards

Martin
So this is what RAL 1011 (brown/beige) looks like.
Two coats on top of grey primer.
Picture taken in natural daylight (dull day) with a "proper camera".

IMG_0103.JPG

Basically it looks a bit too light to me but not a bad match.

Reactions: 1 users

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
So this is what RAL 1011 (brown/beige) looks like.
Two coats on top of grey primer.
Picture taken in natural daylight (dull day) with a "proper camera".

View attachment 238306

Basically it looks a bit too light to me but not a bad match.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the photo. I agree with your comments. I think that the main problem is that my photo of the carriage shows the weathering of the colour as opposed to a freshly painted carriage.

Glad to be of help.

Regards

Martin

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I think the plant pot looks nearer to a lot of the pictures I have seen! :devil::devil:

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I agree. It needs to be more "chocolatey" for want of a better word. I think I will try RAL2000.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Colour is just so subjective, looking at the Rugen Bogie Coach pics in 2008 they are to my eye as I saw them in 2011. And yes the plant pot is somewhat more like it. But in the pics we have different colours which will be the case with stock left out all year long and painted in different years. Our stock gets left inside most of the time and if you left it next to a window for a long time you would likely have a coach with differing colours each side. This happened to a friends LGB Blue Coach that he displayed in his Bedroom Window for around 8 yeats without turning it round. Went almost whity blue from a rich deep of the original. Relying on a pc screen can be a bit of an issue, but if a colour seen as in the Colour Chart linked looks ok to the eye for what you are trying to achieve go for it . You are very likely to be not too far out.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Colour is just so subjective, looking at the Rugen Bogie Coach pics in 2008 they are to my eye as I saw them in 2011. And yes the plant pot is somewhat more like it. But in the pics we have different colours which will be the case with stock left out all year long and painted in different years. Our stock gets left inside most of the time and if you left it next to a window for a long time you would likely have a coach with differing colours each side. This happened to a friends LGB Blue Coach that he displayed in his Bedroom Window for around 8 yeats without turning it round. Went almost whity blue from a rich deep of the original. Relying on a pc screen can be a bit of an issue, but if a colour seen as in the Colour Chart linked looks ok to the eye for what you are trying to achieve go for it . You are very likely to be not too far out.
Agreed. It's a lot easier painting locos black! :)
Anyway some RAL 2000 is on its way to me.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
RAL 2000 is a much better match IMO.

IMG_20180611_120155.jpg
I will proceed with this. Next step is painting the window surrounds black. I haven't decided whether to hand paint or mask and spray paint yet. I might try the latter. I would have liked to remove the window frames before painting. In theory they are a separate part but the glue used by previous owner(s) has basically welded the frame to the side of the body which is a PITA.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
It would have been lot easier, Henri, sadly... :)

I started with the intention of using masking tape and spray but there was too much to mask so in the end it was easier to paint by hand. There is a small gap between the frame and the body so it was not too hard to get a straight-ish line. I masked the squares where the carriage seating class designations go. Now I just need to re-assemble and apply some transfers.

IMG_0117.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I have finished the repainted carriage. It is loosely based on RuKB No.2 which became DR KBp 971-202. I had already removed the celestory roof from the original model, and I added some ventilators and Heberlein pulleys from my bits box. I took off the gates and added some hand rails from floor to roof from some spare bits of black plastic rod bent into shape. End result below:

IMG_20180616_135341.jpg

IMG_20180616_132902.jpg

In retrospect I should have made this a new thread but too late now. :)

Reactions: 4 users