Removing body from one of “those”coaches.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Oh dear... I'm now trying to remove the body from my mind :tmi:

'You're only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!'

Oh, sorry.... Wrong thread..

You do realise that image takes an Aster in therapy to put right?
;):giggle::giggle::giggle::sweating:

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Some progress.
Body colour applied then masked up followed by detail colour/finished item, with a little overspray to retouch.
Only 2 more to go but I need more paint. The green is not quite as I would have liked but I can live with it.
In the process one of the coupling assemblies ‘fell off’. I had been toting the body around holding those!! The securing screw had a grip of less than 1mm in the chassis! I shall be checking all the others before use.745E1097-74F4-4FC6-A2D3-CF5509387143.jpeg658C04EE-81E9-4CA5-8FB0-63F7CD946F0D.jpegAA363527-CEB8-424E-BE15-076A391843A3.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
In case anyone is wondering I am attempting to emulate these:84691FC1-855C-409D-9749-0228C77CAB69.jpeg 6C6C58BB-9F65-48D9-9761-F0FB0B0AC715.jpeg

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Did you have to re-post this, I was just having my breakfast...

That picture was wrong then, it's wrong now, and it will forever continue to be wrong..... ;)

Pass the Brain Bleach.....

Jon.

Reactions: 1 users

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
A brief update: all coaches now sprayed, I even managed to remove the body fixing screws on the two latest ones.
However, all has not gone to entirely to plan.
Firstly, I could not find the green I wanted neither Halfords nor Wilko’s had the shade I wanted, I see too that Wilko’s range is massively reduced from what it used to be, so I settled for a darker green and an off-white both by Rustoleum.
Mistake! Their paint is more runny and despite a primer I have had a major problem on a coach end where no matter how many times (6) I sand back to the original I get either a pebble dash finish or runs.
Secondly, the paint does not like having masking tape peeled away and it chips. Normally, I would do two quick coats to get the finish I needed and immediately remove the tape. Because the pigments are so thin and the paint so runny I had to use 4 coats and allow the first 3 to dry. I ended up repainting most of one side, I may redo the other side too if it annoys me too much.

I am on the last leg with just a couple of dozen cheapo figures to be made legless in order to sit them in place.
With luck I should have them all at the next NWGScale meet in Altrincham.
What I now need are some ‘good value’ metal wheels. Anyone got any ideas on those please? When my son lived in the USA I bought lots of Ana Kramers and saved the postage but I no longer have that option. :-(

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yes they are Newqida. My first lot were simple to dismantle but the screws in the current ones are almost all misshapes. I have stripped them to just body and base which is probably all I need to do to spray them.
View attachment 234851

Just in passing, can anyone identify this livery (below) I came across?
Whilst looking for green and cream stock.

View attachment 234850
Sorty only just got round to reading this post. Rugen Coaches in 2011.image.jpegimage.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks. You can’t beat pics of the real thing.
Given the trouble I have had painting the green and cream ones I wish I had opted for this unusual livery. I may yet sand them off and repaint.

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
However, all has not gone to entirely to plan.
Firstly, I could not find the green I wanted neither Halfords nor Wilko’s had the shade I wanted, I see too that Wilko’s range is massively reduced from what it used to be, so I settled for a darker green and an off-white both by Rustoleum.
Mistake! Their paint is more runny and despite a primer I have had a major problem on a coach end where no matter how many times (6) I sand back to the original I get either a pebble dash finish or runs.
Secondly, the paint does not like having masking tape peeled away and it chips. Normally, I would do two quick coats to get the finish I needed and immediately remove the tape. Because the pigments are so thin and the paint so runny I had to use 4 coats and allow the first 3 to dry.

I've had good results with Plastikote (from B&Ms) although the range limited. They also do primer and lacquer. I no longer use standard masking tape. Been converted to Frogtape - more expensive, but leaves a cleaner line and being less tacky doesn't lift any previously applied coats.

Reactions: 1 user

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I've had good results with Plastikote (from B&Ms) although the range limited. They also do primer and lacquer. I no longer use standard masking tape. Been converted to Frogtape - more expensive, but leaves a cleaner line and being less tacky doesn't lift any previously applied coats.
Yes I have had good results with Plasticote but it seems to be one of the brands dropped by Wilko’s.
I haven’t tried Frogtape but, where possible I use Tamiya and attach standard masking tape to it. Cheapskate that I am!

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks. You can’t beat pics of the real thing.
Given the trouble I have had painting the green and cream ones I wish I had opted for this unusual livery. I may yet sand them off and repaint.
Just to return to these, the model pics I had seen appeared to show an “orangey” livery but the real thing looks brown.

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
Just to return to these, the model pics I had seen appeared to show an “orangey” livery but the real thing looks brown.
Here is a photo from my visit in 2008:

DSCF2016.JPG

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Definitely brown to my eyes. Glad I didn’t go mad and spray them orange.
It would have been different though!

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag

Probably the European equivalent to Stroudley Green! :giggle::giggle:

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Probably the European equivalent to Stroudley Green! :giggle::giggle:
In fact, that was exactly my thought!! Or, Improved Engine Green on the Jones Goods. Great minds etc etc. . . . ;-)

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
In fact, that was exactly my thought!! Or, Improved Engine Green on the Jones Goods. Great minds etc etc. . . . ;-)

I wonder if he was colour-blind?
Or, just had a wicked sense of humour?
:devil::giggle::giggle::giggle::devil:

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
34AFB163-84FC-4D4D-B2AB-9E2EF9252899.jpeg The repaints have their first outing minus decals on the NWGscale layout in Altrincham.
The jury is still out as to whether I paint them in a different livery.
Perhaps after all that effort I just don’t like green and cream. . . .:mad:

Reactions: 1 users

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
It has just occurred to me that I could name the green and cream “chip shop” train - wait for it -
The Frying Scotsman.

Hat, coat, door. . . . . .

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 236231 The repaints have their first outing minus decals on the NWGscale layout in Altrincham.
The jury is still out as to whether I paint them in a different livery.
Perhaps after all that effort I just don’t like green and cream. . . .:mad:
Not when pulled by a IV K, anyway! They would look great behind a Rugen tank.