Realistic Sound for a Bachmann 3 Truck Shay

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
If, like me, you do not have DCC, but rely on old-fashioned track power, or even battery r/c, how do you operate the sounds? I've got a LOT of locos that I might just be pursuaded to r/c/battery and install sound if I thought it could be done for less than £350 each........................

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
If, like me, you do not have DCC, but rely on old-fashioned track power, or even battery r/c, how do you operate the sounds? I've got a LOT of locos that I might just be pursuaded to r/c/battery and install sound if I thought it could be done for less than £350 each........................
You should be able to comfortably manage that with Fosworks Battery DCC, look at my conversion of Pfiffi in the Battery thread. You are always welcome to pop round to see it in action if you are a doubter.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Jon D, you missed the posting ("I don't know how I missed the posting") because TAC just quoted a post with a video from April 29 2017 !!!!

I read back to the beginning... noticed there was a claim that a certain sound board changes under load... no it does not... only if it was running the motor and reading back EMF.

The quillable whistle would be cool, but adding another smoke unit just for it is going to blow the budget.

The Fosworks stuff, integrating nicely with the plethora of DCC decoders seems like a great idea.

Greg

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Things move kinda slow out here in the rurals.......................:nod:

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Whoops, posted by mistake

Last edited:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
You should be able to comfortably manage that with Fosworks Battery DCC, look at my conversion of Pfiffi in the Battery thread. You are always welcome to pop round to see it in action if you are a doubter.

Not a doubter, Jon, just not a bleever in DCC. We have almost a thousand feet of track, including about 250 feet of storage sidings, and I'm sure as h*** not going to start wiring that up for any kind of DCC.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not a doubter, Jon, just not a bleever in DCC. We have almost a thousand feet of track, including about 250 feet of storage sidings, and I'm sure as h*** not going to start wiring that up for any kind of DCC.
Battery DCC on a Loco within your cost range at Post 41, not the complete line Battery DCC’d. Read in haste reply and repent!

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, don't react just because DCC is "present" in the sentence... there are so many DCC sound decoders available, that it just makes sense to control one with battery and a simple R/C system.... wiring should be simpler, since all lights, motor and speaker connect only to the DCC decoder.

Again, pretty cool idea.

Greg

Reactions: 1 user

65 1057

Railways @ 1.435 mm/ 1.000 mm/ 750 mm and 45mm
9 May 2018
Berlin
Best answers
Country flag

Maybe this could be a solution for you:
50 € SUSI Sound Module (DIETZ, UHLENBROCK, ...)
25 € MD MXION SUSI adapter

The idea behind this adapter is to either
> upgrade a non-sound DCC decoder with a SUSI-interface OR
> to run SUSI-Soundmodules and pulsed smoke units on track-powered, analogue layouts

To set-up the adapter you need some initial DCC programming to "define" coasting / brake squeal etc.
Then you can run smoke/sound modules and light effects with external or internal clock/reed contacts.

Andreas

Reactions: 1 user