Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All,

This may be restating one solution for unwanted "random" uncoupling of LGB style hook and loop couplers pointed out elsewhere but a quick search did not turn it up. I've converted most of my stock except locomotives to have hooks at both couplers. But some stock was still giving me random uncoupling problems. I just had to fix my Alpine Express Baggage Car today. The culprit turned out to be a weak spring on the hook. Replacing the spring fixed the problem. I have run into this issue in past and now the coupler springs are the first thing I check when random uncoupling happens. One place to get spare springs here in the States is from Trainli.

Phil S.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All,

This may be restating one solution for unwanted "random" uncoupling of LGB style hook and loop couplers pointed out elsewhere but a quick search did not turn it up. I've converted most of my stock except locomotives to have hooks at both couplers. But some stock was still giving me random uncoupling problems. I just had to fix my Alpine Express Baggage Car today. The culprit turned out to be a weak spring on the hook. Replacing the spring fixed the problem. I have run into this issue in past and now the coupler springs are the first thing I check when random uncoupling happens. One place to get spare springs here in the States is from Trainli.

Phil S.
Always worthwhile taking a look out for this. A quick way if you can is to do a Ground Level view, any Hooks that are not touching the bottom of the Loop are likely to have weak springs. A quick fix can be to dismantle the Coupling and turn the Spring over.

Locomotives do not have hooks on my line, the loop is always lowered by 20-30 thou to stop uncoupling issues.

I am also very careful if packing stock away to make sure that the hook is not depressed for a long time, this can be a massive source of spring trashing. Many LGB boxes do not make adequate provision for that second hook being in place. On my older Toy Train Wagons that were packed up for the move some 5 years ago all the Couplings have been taken off and carefully packed up. If I decide to use these shorties again I am confident that the Springs will be OK.

Reactions: 1 users

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Always worthwhile taking a look out for this. A quick way if you can is to do a Ground Level view, any Hooks that are not touching the bottom of the Loop are likely to have weak springs. A quick fix can be to dismantle the Coupling and turn the Spring over.

Locomotives do not have hooks on my line, the loop is always lowered by 20-30 thou to stop uncoupling issues.

I am also very careful if packing stock away to make sure that the hook is not depressed for a long time, this can be a massive source of spring trashing. Many LGB boxes do not make adequate provision for that second hook being in place. On my older Toy Train Wagons that were packed up for the move some 5 years ago all the Couplings have been taken off and carefully packed up. If I decide to use these shorties again I am confident that the Springs will be OK.

The springs can lose shape if they get squashed or sometimes it is just AD.

Remove the spring that has lost it's shape and put into a cup.

Add boiling water and allow to stand.

The Spring should return to correct shape on it's own.

Remove from the boiling water (not with your fingers) Quench in cold water.

Job done.

This works on the Bachmann version of the couplings too.

James

Reactions: 7 users

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Also works with the floppy handrails on Heidi. No need to take them off, I just used a piece of card to keep most of the water off the bodywork. Just pour from the kettle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

penylanpip

Registered
1 Apr 2010
Barry, UK
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Wouldn't have thought of that, James, thank you.
A bloomin' sight cheaper than buying replacement springs all the time...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Just change to Bachmann buckeyes, and then they'll randomly disconnect much more reliably >:)>:)>:)>:)

Reactions: 8 users

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Wouldn't have thought of that,
James, thank you.
A bloomin' sight cheaper than buying replacement springs all the time...

Thanks Guys,

It is a trick that I learned from my late Dad. He knew a thing or two about materials and what they could and cannot do.

I keep a float of spare springs and change them as necessary as they can sometimes get squashed in storage.

I then 'boil a batch' of bent springs together and when done put those back in stock.

James

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Guys,

It is a trick that I learned from my late Dad. He knew a thing or two about materials and what they could and cannot do.

I keep a float of spare springs and change them as necessary as they can sometimes get squashed in storage.

I then 'boil a batch' of bent springs together and when done put those back in stock.

James

Drop in a few shallots and you'll have your own unique version of spring onion soup....

I know, hat coat door etc.!

Reactions: 2 users

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I have rarely had the unwanted uncoupling issue with the hook and loop couplers on my locos and rolling stock. And like you, all of my equipment has hooks on both ends.

However, in some of my cheaper moments, I have bought Bachmann springs. They are of a thinner material so are more likely to fatigue over not too long a time. I search for LGB springs on Evilbay whenever I happen to think of it. I like to have spares.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
The troublesome springs are the white ones on Train & the like. Not enough spring so they drag the wagons off on bends. They have to go.