Progress on The Orchard Line - posts in. Next up, cable trays!

  • Thread starter DGE-Railroad
  • Start date
Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
4,445
660
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
A short note, use black silicon sealer for anything exposed to sunlight. The colors of sealer follow the same rules as colors of plastic outdoors. Only black will survive... try clear zip ties vs black ones and see how quickly the clear ones fall apart.

Greg
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user
DGE-Railroad

DGE-Railroad

Registered
26 Jan 2020
383
30
49
United Kingdom
A short note, use black silicon sealer for anything exposed to sunlight. The colors of sealer follow the same rules as colors of plastic outdoors. Only black will survive... try clear zip ties vs black ones and see how quickly the clear ones fall apart.

Greg
I never knew that!
Thanks Greg. Every day's a school day :)
 
GAP

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains
14 Jun 2011
2,815
654
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
I forgot to add, because the cable trays are the pre-galvanised type and I'm cutting some of them too, I thought it worth giving them some extra protection.

They're fairly well protected being underneath the boards, but every little helps and I found a cheap and very quick way to do it.

A 1L tin of cold galvanising paint was £20 and easily did all of the trays, top and bottom. Using a mini roller made for incredibly quick and effective coverage.
View attachment 275095

Once the cement boards were fixed all joins and holes were given a smear of clear silicone sealant, the idea being to limit the amount of water finding its way into the sides of the cement boards or worse, sitting between them and the cable trays
View attachment 275115
Another tip for fixing the boards try dipping the screws into some silicone prior to fixing that way the hole is sealed (idea stolen from the fleet air arm helicopter builds).
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user
DGE-Railroad

DGE-Railroad

Registered
26 Jan 2020
383
30
49
United Kingdom
I've got a bit further now in making the top of the loop, which over doubles the length now, of the existing track.

I had some timber left over from a shed we are building, so I made a quick and cheerful bridge from it. It's not the best thing ever it it will serve for now!

A gondola was pressed in to service as the MOW car, since it made pushing the tools around the track a bit easier :)

A galvanised mesh panel was used for the railings on the sides of the bridge. One sheet was easily enough to do both sides. I found a slitting disk in the angle grinder made cutting it up very quick and easy without bending the 'legs' which simply push in to a snug hole drilled in the decking
20201123_001320.jpg
20201123_001254.jpg
20201123_095458.jpg
20201123_095126.jpg