Progress on The Orchard Line - posts in. Next up, cable trays!

• Thread starter DGE-Railroad
  • Start date
Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
I'd take this opportunity to put some sealer in the ends of the 4x4 posts, on cool evenings, moisture could condense on the inside of the metal boot.

Cheap insurance, and will be too much of a pain to do later.

Greg

Reactions: 1 user
Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
I'd take this opportunity to put some sealer in the ends of the 4x4 posts, on cool evenings, moisture could condense on the inside of the metal boot.

Greg
Yes, even though the timber is treated, I forget the statistic ( I ought to have known it at one time) but timber absorbs a zillion times more moisture through end grain than side grain :nerd::nerd:

DGE-Railroad

DGE-Railroad

Registered
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom

Greg
Thanks for the suggestion Greg. I have indeed done so; my thinking being exactly as you suggested :)

I appreciate the advice - as you say, a cheap and easy step to take at this stage in order to avoid a lot of upheaval and disruption later on!

Dash9

Dash9

Registered
So CAT-herine and Genny-fer were unable to detect the pipe. Predictable I suppose - it's probably plastic, or plastic sheathed. I followed it down into the ground for about a foot before giving up the excavation idea.

I'm just going to follow GAPs suggestion and dig out some small pad footings, line them with hardcore and make a little concrete pad for the post boots to bolt to.

The boots themselves inverted, look pretty good to make a snug and broad mounting point for the tops of the posts. That little strip of wood balanced on the top is 450mm wide, which is the cable tray width I'm now planning to go with

View attachment 272903
If digging around Electrical, Gas or anything buried, try to find someone with a Hydro excavator. Never any damage.

DGE-Railroad

DGE-Railroad

Registered
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
footings dug man-draulically - being small, they didn't take long at all. All 6 now filled with a small layer of hardcore ready for the concrete next week.

Makes a change from the 45 tons of concrete I've just laid for a new shed. I can mix this lot by hand and won't be ferrying it around in a dumper! :D