Problems with LGB10340 reversing unit

Andy Worsfold

G Scale Railways</br>Disney</br>The Prisoner
24 Oct 2009
Havant
Best answers
OK it was working fine and now won't change direction. I've checked the wiring, re followed all the instructions. It does not seem to be able to sense that the loco has passed the isolating section and to set the timer to reverse the polarity. I had this problem last year but it just started working again. Does anyone ie Neil, know if I'm doing anything wrong, or what the fault is? If it needs repair where should I send it ?
Any help would be most gratefully received.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Check the diode in the isolating section.

Do you have a multimeter Andy?

Andy Worsfold

24 Oct 2009
Havant
Best answers
Thanks Gizzy, I don't use the diodes in the isolating sections. The isolating section has a wire from the control unit which supplies the reducing voltage for slow stopping. The polarity then changes and the loco accelerates slowly. I still don't understand how the unit senses where the train is? I do have access to a multimeter.

Andy

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Are you using a loco that runs the wrong way such as Thomas?

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Ah the Mode 2 selection? I've just checked the LGB Produkt Data Bank on how this device works in Mode 2 without using the diodes http://www.champex-linden.de/lgb_pr...B28585256C15005C8D99/$FILE/10340_072002k2.pdf

I'm wondering if there is a short across the isolating gap or if the black/white wire is loose in the connector block of the isolating track itself?

I understand the unit is 'reset' by turning off the controller power for 15 secs, so it may be worth trying that also....

steinz

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Best answers
Gizzy said:
Ah the Mode 2 selection? I've just checked the LGB Produkt Data Bank on how this device works in Mode 2 without using the diodes http://www.champex-linden.de/lgb_pr...B28585256C15005C8D99/$FILE/10340_072002k2.pdf

I'm wondering if there is a short across the isolating gap or if the black/white wire is loose in the connector block of the isolating track itself?

I understand the unit is 'reset' by turning off the controller power for 15 secs, so it may be worth trying that also....

Was playing with one of these for the first time the other evening - in Mode 2.

Please note that there was a fault in the original wiring diagram in the instructions.

There is a 'new' corrected wiring-diagram if you download the pdf file referred to in the above link.

Andy Worsfold

24 Oct 2009
Havant
Best answers
Thanks for your replies.

It has been wired up correctly as it was working but is now not. I've checked the wiring and had an erratum sheet ? with the ammended diagram. I will recheck to see if there's a short across the isolating gap but I don't think so. Its a mystery to me!

Thanks again

I was wondering how does it work? and what part senses the loco and changes the polarity. Maybe I'll just get a simple gaugemaster one as they're near me!

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I know this will not be of any help, but my LGB 10340 reverser did the very same thing last year. After many frustrating hours of disconnecting and reconnecting wires, and trying different locos, it just started operating correctly one morning. I really think these things have their own mind.

Andy Worsfold

24 Oct 2009
Havant
Best answers
Its funny you say that becasue I had the same problems last year and it just started working after hours of trying to solve its problem. Lets hope it does the same this year.....otherwise I've already had authorisation to get the gaugemaster one!.......but its not as good.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I found less problematic, the older 0900. It does not have smooth starts and stops however.

OK, I'm back. I had to take a break for "Harry's Law". A very good TV program starring Kathy Bates.

Another manufacturer is Bazooka Electronics.
http://www.autorev.ca/index_files/Real_AutoRev.htm

And finally, in the LGB book, there is a reversing diagram that uses only EPL switch machines. However, there is no pause at the track ends.

French Chuffed

Registered
24 Oct 2009
South Brittany
Best answers
Perhaps it is a damp problem, depending where the modual has been over the winter. It could be that with the power applied to it for a while it microscopically dries out then works. Just a thought.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Just one question, What is a microscopic dryout? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: