Hi I am new with query on Stainz 20212

Martin Goodman

Registered
9 Dec 2023
South Harting
Best answers
Country flag
Back in 2000 I was given a LGB starter set 78302. It is only now 23 years later I have got it out of the box. The loco works fine, but I noticed the track becoming sticky after a few circuits. On inspection of the loco, I see that the two left hand wheels have a rubber type band inset into the wheel which I assume is to aid traction. The rubber has perished, becoming sticky and flaking off. The gold label on the bottom of the loco is 901029 so the loco was made in 1999. Is this a common fault? Does it matter if the rubber comes away? Will it affect the overall traction of the loco? Can one get replacement rubber tyres to put back on the wheels? Any advice would be gratefully received.

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
the two left hand wheels have a rubber type band inset into the wheel

Are you sure that BOTH left hand wheels have a traction tyre? One per loco is more normal and traction tyres restrict electrical contact.

The booklet that should have been included in the set includes the product number for the traction tyre (E126 174) and fitting instruictions . . .

1702153321254.png

Hope this helps a little

David

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
I had an epidemic of tyre failures in the summer. I found some replacements on ebay.

Martin Goodman

Registered
9 Dec 2023
South Harting
Best answers
Country flag
Are you sure that BOTH left hand wheels have a traction tyre? One per loco is more normal and traction tyres restrict electrical contact.

The booklet that should have been included in the set includes the product number for the traction tyre (E126 174) and fitting instruictions . . .

View attachment 321482

Hope this helps a little

David
David
That is very helpful. Thank you. You are right, it is only the rear wheel with a tyre. The front wheel had picked up the residue from the rubber and I incorrectly assumed it was both. The search now starts to get some replacement tyres!
Martin

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
The search now starts to get some replacement tyres

I've sent you a "Conversation" (click on the little envelope in the top right corner of the page), offering to send you a couple by post.

Cheers

David

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
After all that time in the box unused it is to be expected that the traction tyre has perished. You appear to have had a message hopefully advising you how to change. Not a difficult job but unfortunately some valve gear removal required.