Problem with my lgb nicki franks

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
That meter does not do AC amps, let alone square wave AC...
Greg
I agree with your advice but dispute that comment. To me it appears that moving the dial one click anticlockwise would select 10A AC. I suspect that it wouldn't be accurate in this case as intended for 50/60 Hz sinusoidal current.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
That meter does not do AC amps, let alone square wave AC...

Sure looks like it has AC Amps ranges to me? How well it will cope with DCC is debatable, but worth a try

AC amps setting on meter.png

Running on DC and measuring on the DC 10 Amp range is a good idea if the op has a DC controller?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
You are correct, seem to have tunnel vision today! Thanks for correcting me!

You will most likely not get an exact reading, unless it is an RMS reading meter, but it should be close enough to see if there is an issue.

Greg

Adam1989

Registered
11 Mar 2018
Calne wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
So now I have it set to ac I get a reading there was nothing on dc so with the tender connected lights and sounds on it fluctuates between 0.44 and 0.58 15587270076671896561211019234370.jpg

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
So now I have it set to ac I get a reading there was nothing on dc so with the tender connected lights and sounds on it fluctuates between 0.44 and 0.58
Nothing amiss there but in an earlier post you mention all is well for the first 10 minutes or so. I suggest you run the loco with the ammeter in circuit and on AC and check the reading when the loco starts to misbehave.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Hmmm.... well, I think that pretty much confirms that the motors are both OK. Which in turn suggests to me that the problem is in the XL decoder itself.
Might still be worth following Neil's suggestion a couple of posts above, and running it for a bit longer until the problem re-occurs, keeping a careful eye on the meter to see what the amp reading is just before it shuts down. Not sure what that would actually prove though, except to confirm that something screwy is happening inside the XL...?

Jon.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thinking along the lines of what has occurred so far, do you get any of these issues with any other double motored Trains if you have them?

If so it may be pointing to your controller setup.

If not then likely as not as Jon. suggested it will be the XL Chip.

Adam1989

Registered
11 Mar 2018
Calne wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
The only other double motor loco I have is my mallet which will run for hours faultlessly.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The only other double motor loco I have is my mallet which will run for hours faultlessly.
So likely it is the XL Chip then.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thinking along the lines of what has occurred so far, do you get any of these issues with any other double motored Trains if you have them?

If so it may be pointing to your controller setup.

If not then likely as not as Jon. suggested it will be the XL Chip.

If the controller itself was shutting down, then the sound would cut out too - but it doesn't (as per the original post), suggesting that parts of the XL are still remaining active enough to continue to pass the SUSI commands to the Uhlenbrock sound module. That would strongly suggest (to me, anyway) that something in the main driver stage of the XL is getting too hot to function, then cooling down to within operating limits again...?

I fear that you've reached the point where the best bet is to ask Muns (or another friendly Massoth dealer) if he has a replacement XL in stock.

Jon.

Adam1989

Registered
11 Mar 2018
Calne wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Would my German mallet have the same sort of motors, if so is it worth running that and comparing the readings, it also has a XL in.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Would my German mallet have the same sort of motors, if so is it worth running that and comparing the readings, it also has a XL in.

Yes and yes.
I suspect similar results unless tested when the suspect loco is playing up.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
As Neil says, exactly the same motors (two standard Buhler type), and yes, you should get a similar overall current draw from the Mallet as from the Nicki&Frank running with its tender connected. If it's something you can do without any hassle, then checking the Mallet's current draw would probably be an interesting comparison test.

It's useful practical information to have on here that your tests appear to have shown that a standard multimeter will show a reasonably accurate (or at least, a close-to-expected) reading for DCC current draw when set to the AC amps scale.

Jon.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
That's not what I would call a standard multimeter, it's unusual to have AC amps that high. List price is about $200 here.

It does not appear to be RMS but many non-RMS meters measure voltage and current OK

I'm still confused at the measurements.... I have not read that the OP has measured current draw up to, and during the "failure"...

I'm still of the opinion that the possibility exists that the loco starts drawing too much current and shuts down the decoder. It's unusual that a decoder "warms up" and quits after a while, usually it is something more mechanical.

Greg

Adam1989

Registered
11 Mar 2018
Calne wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
I will have more time for testing tomorrow so I will run the franks until it stops and record the results when it stops. Then also run the mallet for a comparison