Power amplifier

Graham

In Smoggy Land
10 Mar 2016
Middlesbrough, England
Best answers
Well sort of :tmi: This is a test as I want to trigger 3 LGB point motors from one Massoth output at some distance from the decoder. Using two of these solid state relays I plan to use rectified track power at source via the relays to drive the motors o_O1518800553208899038862.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well sort of :tmi: This is a test as I want to trigger 3 LGB point motors from one Massoth output at some distance from the decoder. Using two of these solid state relays I plan to use rectified track power at source via the relays to drive the motors o_OView attachment 233241
Very interesting, presumably the 2 Colour LED will be an indicator on a pannel with a long wire run to said pannel? Or a Signal? How do well you think the components will survive outdoors?

MaximDeDonder

Registered
24 Apr 2018
Lokeren
Best answers
Country flag
What I do is using an 24V AC power supply. The one pole is connected to the gnd of my cables outside that I also use for lights. The other pole is 2 times single rectified. Each diode is connected to a relais that is controlled by a very cheap 4 way turnout decoder for H0 scale. The 2 relais are then wired together and that 1 wire goes to the switch, with plenty of power. You could connect several motors to that one wire.

Advantages:
+ More power because of the 24V AC power supply, results also in stronger motors.
+ Only 1 wire needed to a point motor, the other wire of the motor is connected to a nearby GND of some lights.
+ Cheap decoders can be used.
+ The decoder is fully isolated of the motor, so if something goes wrong, in the worst case you have to replace 1 or 2 relais.

Tip: Because of the bigger Back EMF of the point motor, you'll need relais with big contacts, where a short voltage spark is not an issue OR place a bidirectional TVS-diode parallel over the 2 relais.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user